3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about arrow spine  (Read 1209 times)

Offline JFGonzales

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about arrow spine
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
I just got a blackwidow PLX takedown 64” 56@28”. I have a hodge podge of arrows that I have acquired over the years. I have some 2216 aluminums, 2117 autumn orange aluminums, some carbon express heritage 250s and some axis 340s that I shoot out of my blackwidow recurve. The axis have 100gr inserts with 175 gr points. The carbon express and aluminums have standard inserts with 145 gr points in them. I can shoot them all accurately out of my longbow. So my question is this. I want to get some new arrows and I’m having a hard time deciding what to do. My Axis weigh 620 gr. Will these be to heavy to shoot at farther distance? Or should I go with a 400 spine and a lighter insert like a 75 gr? If they won’t be to heavy then I could make up some more 340s and I would be able to use them out of either bow. I want to stick with a 175 gr point because I have the 175 gr VPA 3 blades and I want to shoot the Simmons Tiger Sharks wich are also 175 gr. I realize I can just shoot any of the arrows I currently have. But I love making new arrows !!!
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be. - Fred Bear

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about arrow spine
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
What is your draw length?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JFGonzales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
Sorry about that, I draw 28”.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be. - Fred Bear

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
OK, so your 620 grain arrows are about 11.4 grains per pound out of your new Black Widow.  That's a substantial weight, but not terribly so, Imo.  I tend to shoot 11-12 gpp for hunting.  Lighter will be flatter. But, as you note, you can shoot any of your current combinations, so it's pretty much whatever you most like looking at and shooting. 

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
Personally, I would go with 400 spine and tune the point weight/insert for a 29” arrow.  But if you want point weight more than 200 grains, you would probably be better off with .340 spine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
Ahhh . . . the addiction of arrow building.  Know it well!

As you have multiple arrows that fly well for ya, I suggest taking your best 175 grain VPA broadhead and the best flying of each of your current arrow flavors.  Place the broadhead on each different arrow and see which is most accurate and flies best at your maximum distance using this single broadhead.  If a winner emerges . . . you'll have a good suggestion on which arrows ya get to fashion next.  I wish you well.

BTW - Welcome to Trad Gang JF.  Hopefully it becomes yet another addiction for you.   :archer2:
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
Can you shoot a .400 spine?  Seems light for 56#
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline JFGonzales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 09:14:46 PM »
Yes, .400 heritage with standard inserts and 145 gr points cut to 29 1/2” fly good bareshaft.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 05:27:56 PM »
I have the same setup and it likes the 2117.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©