3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 160 grain snuffers  (Read 5287 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 160 grain snuffers
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2021, 12:03:23 AM »
I used to shoot snuffers a lot, I had the smaller ones too on my lighter bows. I don't know why I switched really but I got bit by the single bevel craze that's been going around.

Probably going to switch back and start shooting my heavier bows again with the 160s. I killed a few with them back in the day but I never hit one forward and to my knowledge never encountered any bone, probably because of fear for lack of better word for the paddle bone or ball joint.

Maybe Ryan or someone with more experience with the snuffer can weigh in but how do they fare against bone? Usually if hit one forward with a 2 blade it goes through. Never have with a 3 blade. Not saying I want to but just curious.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2021, 10:46:45 AM »
I wouldn't bet the farm on getting through the front shoulder ball joint or thick portions of the shoulder blade with any broadhead.  I also believe WAAAYYY more deer are lost (that end up dead) from hits "too far back"...where penetration is a non-issue.....than to inadequate penetration on bone.  Inadequate penetration on bone usually doesnt end up with a dead deer....gut shots always do.  I'll take the big heads and advantages they give for hits "too far back"....and do my best to stay off the shoulder blade.  Just my take on it.

R

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
 Sound advice from experience Ryan. I also agree

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
Thanks to R.V.T.B who posted earlier he showed me several years ago how to get Snuffers real sharp.....im mean REAL sharp and since then I've killed a half a dozen deer with the 160 gr Snuffers.......all with bows right at 40-42 lbs! On broadside deer they've poked out the other side so there were two holes and lovely blood trails. Quartering away deer,  no off side complete pentation but good blood and dead deer! If you can get em really sharp, get deer in stickbow range, I'm not the least bit worried about them doing the job Roger meant for them to do.

I will also echo Ryans thoughts on the too far back issue and a 160 Snuffers is great insurance!!!
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
Thanks to R.V.T.B who posted earlier he showed me several years ago how to get Snuffers real sharp.....im mean REAL sharp and since then I've killed a half a dozen deer with the 160 gr Snuffers.......all with bows right at 40-42 lbs! On broadside deer they've poked out the other side so there were two holes and lovely blood trails. Quartering away deer,  no off side complete pentation but good blood and dead deer! If you can get em really sharp, get deer in stickbow range, I'm not the least bit worried about them doing the job Roger meant for them to do.

I will also echo Ryans thoughts on the too far back issue and a 160 Snuffers is great insurance!!!

Care to share the sharpening method?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©