3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kids & Hunting  (Read 542 times)

Offline Redbeard361

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids & Hunting
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
When my son, now 13, was 4 I started taking him hunting with me. Hunts lasted about 30min before he was hungry, "dad i gotta gotta pee" or we started laufing so hard we had to go. Our blinds have crayon colored pokemons & scooby doo all over the walls. We never did see much but had fun. Kinda wish he was 4 again. Just wondering how many of you take your young ones with you and dont see a thing but rabbits and birds but still have a great time.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids & Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
My little guy goes scouting with me. He likes to look for sign and critters.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
yep,I think I got mine hooked they are 7 and 4 and they both are deer whisperers naver seen nothing like it.

bring the deer right to daddies hand.   :)  

my daughter is game for turkey this spring and the boy is eager as well.
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Mine is now 25 and in the Army.  Started taking him when he was @ 3 - 4 y/o.  The most famous ones were...."Hey Daddy...there's a DEER!!!!!"
or on a dog drive I shot and missed, and a Kangaroo Court, the Hunt Master wanted to cut his shirt, for missing ( about 7 y/o)...the answer was "...check my gun, ain't been fired!"  he was toting a cap gun!  And when we got home...now don't tell Momma that Daddy got his shirt tail cut..."Guess what happened to Daddy's shirt?"
Yeah, I sure do miss him!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline bentstick_55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
My Em has her first turkey hunt Saturday. She turns 10 tomorrow.
The greatest words a man can hear are, "Will you take me with you Daddy"????

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Great pics, John!

I was driving, on a long trip with my (almost) 18 year old son tonight -- trying to bridge the little gap that a lot of parents experience when their "babies" grow up.  He's getting ready to go to basic training in a month or so.  Anyway, we weren't communicating too well, UNTIL I started talking about some of the hunting and fishing trips we've had through the years.  All good from there.  They WILL appreciate it when they're older.

Time well spent!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
My kids have gone with me since momma would allow.

Of coure we were "hunting" but when they were little (around two or three) these hunting trips were little more than short exploration trips.
Everyone loves a walk in the warm sunshine in October.

These early trips are the foundation of a lifetime of love for the outdoors and all things wild.

Kids have the love of hunting in them naturally, and I believe very few children would not grow into hunters if they were shown the beauty of it when they are young.

Showing kids the joy of hunting, may well be the single most important thing you ever do for the future of hunting.

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Both my kids started to scout with me at a year old hanging stands and asking questions, both started to go with me on small game hunts at 2 and gun deer hunts at 3 and I got a buck both times they went for the first time, and they both were with me in a tree to see me take a deer with a bow at age 5, my son took his first deer at 6 with a rifle during the youth weekend, my daughter will start in 2009 with tukeys she will be 6 and knows the hunter ed book by heart already. both started to shoot air guns and .22's at 4 with all the saftey preaching and fun the wanted. they both shoot compounds and trad bows now and my daughter is 5 and can shoot 3 inch groups with her .223 at 100 yds. and my son hunts deer with his compound was 8 when he started to bow hunt. They love it as much as I do and I cherish every second.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Great pictures John, now that's what I am talking about!

I have taken my kids and now my grandkids from the time they where 3 or 4.  Both my daughter and son are still avid hunters and my grandkids have already started filling the freezer with some fine table fair  ;)
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Redbeard361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
This is what I like to see. Kids need outdoors and hunting more than ever now days.

Offline Mary A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I really enjoyed this thread & seeing the pictures. It is so nice to see kids outside & enjoying the outdoors.

My daughter is 2 1/2 & just loves the deer & turkeys, actually any animal.  Every time my husband & I are out shooting, she has to shoot too. My husband just got a doe yesterday & she was so excited about bringing her up to the house & getting her ready to hang. Sorry for so many pics, but I just had to share.

60" Morrison ILF Longbow 40# @ 28"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
I try to take my 2 year old son with me everytime I get the chance.  It is usually no more than a stump shooting trip with the ocasional rabbit or squirel, but they are the best hunts of the year.

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
They both started to turkey and deer gun hunt with me at age 3 I took a buck with both of them hunting with me at a 3 and a nice tom with my daughter when she was 3 my son is 9 and has had his licence since he was 6 and took his first deer with a gun at 7. My daughter is 6 and is studying for her hunter ed test coming up in april she is pump, they are both safe in the handling of firearms and even remind me of my mistakes they love to shoot 22's, my sons his.243 and 30-30 and my daughter her .223 they both shoot compounds and trad bows they love them both, my boy started bowhuntin at 8 with a compound and hope to pull a recurve with enough power to hunt with in another year. Hunting means more now than it ever has to me, and both have seen me shoot a deer with a bow from the ground and a tree. there never to young to go and each child will show the maturity to hunt at a different age, I belive they will be ready earlier if they are envolved from a early age, and there mentor will know when they are ready.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Allie is 3..and she loves to see wildlife, call turkeys, and shoot her bow..

Jake is 13 and loves to hunt and shoot also..

TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
my son is about to be 2 in feb. and I think this fall he might get to go scouting and maybe a short hunt. i went with my grandpa at about 3

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
I ask my 8 year old to accompany me everytime I go out when hes not in school or studying.This past year I killed a buck with him at my side, it was the coolest thing Ive ever experienced in the woods.He loves his Howard Hill and shoots it very well.This year Ill be takimg my 3 year old bowfishing in the canoe.Life is good.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
John:
 You are putting the kids at risk.Deer are wild, and can be unpredictable.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Mary A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Really cute. I love Allie's outfit & bow set up. What kind of bow is she shooting & what are her arrows?
60" Morrison ILF Longbow 40# @ 28"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
There cannot be enough said about taking kids hunting...or anywhere for that matter.

We all know know how important spending time with our kids is, and if we look around it is easy to see that far too many don`t get the time they need.

I love the photo`s everyone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©