3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad archery at Church Sportsman's Day  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad archery at Church Sportsman's Day
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »
I have been asked to put up a booth or a table highlighting archery at our church sportsmen Day event coming up next month. We're expecting 300 or more people, so it's not a small thing. They asked me to put up some shooting lanes and do a little talk on archery.  I told them I would prefer to focus on traditional archery and they think that's a great idea.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to approach a 20-minute talk, and setting up a fun table for a bunch of men/women/children, that may not already be interested in trad archery but could wind up developing an interest?

I think I'm going to offer to all my old Traditional Bowhunter mags, and show one of my trad archery videos continuously at the table.  I'm working on some door prizes as well. 

Any other thoughts?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Macatawa

Re: Trad archery at Church Sportsman's Day
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
I have been asked to put up a booth or a table highlighting archery at our church sportsmen Day event coming up next month. We're expecting 300 or more people, so it's not a small thing. They asked me to put up some shooting lanes and do a little talk on archery.  I told them I would prefer to focus on traditional archery and they think that's a great idea.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to approach a 20-minute talk, and setting up a fun table for a bunch of men/women/children, that may not already be interested in trad archery but could wind up developing an interest?

I think I'm going to offer to all my old Traditional Bowhunter mags, and show one of my trad archery videos continuously at the table.  I'm working on some door prizes as well. 

Any other thoughts?

Roman,
Your opportunity to share is rare and very cool indeed.

Just my take here: 

Folks with no trad hunting / trad archery (or archery in general) shooting experience will probably not understand enuf of what's going on to do any shooting safely.  I think archery lanes could potentially be a disaster to you and your group unless you have clear and safe shooting lanes, hands-on coaches to work with each and every individual as they shoot.  Also, your Traditional Bowhnter mags will appeal to a very select few "hunters" within the group....but they will sure be a blessing to the experienced "true hunters" 

:archer:

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »
Very thoughtful points, thank you.  I have some people in mind to help, and if they cannot, I won't have the shooting... It would indeed be too dangerous.  I've done"talks" on trad archery before, so I've got some points of my own, but it is always helpful to me to get insight from others and hear what they would include in their presentation.

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
I just think it's neat that a Church does this.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:43:13 AM »
Maybe display bows, arrows, arrow making stuff, quivers, arm guards, gloves and tabs, strings and string jigs, etc. You will have enough questions to eat up the 20 minutes and more.  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline algstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:21:07 PM »
Start with the Word, plenty of references to bows arrows in Psalms and Proverbs. Then move into shooting form and equipment.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
At the annual Sportsman’s Expo here, we have put on an archery exhibit that includes shooting for those who may not have ever shot before for years, with no bad experiences.  Our rules are:

One line for those waiting to shoot, monitored by an adult at the head of the line who sends people to shooting positions as they become available.

One adult at each shooting position who explains very briefly how to shoot and demonstrates how to hold the bow, if needed.  Have a shooting line they can straddle so someone doesn't get in front or behind someone else.  For very small children, you may have to help them pull back the bow.

Be alert for the unexpected.  It is possible that a child may swing the bow around and point it at someone else when they are talking with someone to the side or behind them.  Once we had a small child shoot at a balloon that was drifting by on the ground.  Be ready to grab the bow, particularly after 25 participants have shot without problems, and you think everything is going fine.

No one is allowed near the shooting line except for the participant and the observer, except for maybe a parent who wants to take a photo.  Make sure to keep your eyes on the shooter and not the parent when you are answering the parent's questions.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »
Thanks, Dave, that's the kind of stuff that I am looking for.  And thanks to all for taking the time to respond as well.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »
This great! Spend more time showing and letting people shoot than you do talking, particularly with the kids. Safety has been stressed, but get more savvy volunteers to help than you might initially think you need. You know how it is with kids and even unknowing adults. Try to set up in an isolated corner of the property. If you can get some primitive gear to display, especially cane arrows and stone points, you will be covered up in enthusiastic kids. Also a collection of points would be nice. Do you know any flint knappers? This is a great opportunity to interact with church friends and to promote trad archery (no derogatory remarks about compounds, though. But you know that already). I wish I was close enough to help out. It sounds like fun! Good luck. Let us know how it turns out, complete with pics.
Sam

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 10:33:16 PM »
I've taught archery both at a 6th grade camp and on an 8th grade field trip. I've probably had close to 150 kids who have shot a bow during those events, most of which had never shot, and haven't had any incidents. The main thing is just make sure that you have rules and explain them well before anyone gets to shoot. I also print a sheet off with rules on it so that people can read them as well. It also helps to have another person there just to keep an eye on things and to assist. Make sure it is someone who has archery experience though. I had one "helper" who had never used a bow and that was a nightmare. I try to limit it to 5 or 6 people shooting at a time which is easy to watch and manage.

There are lots of good archery references in the Bible, so it ought to fit in really well. I wish my church would do something like that!

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »
Great Opportunity.
-If you have a small budget, maybe giving the kids each an archery trinket (2" bright color Blazer vane / bright color plastic knock / bullseye sticker / etc) that they can take home as a reminder of the church event. 
-Might be cool to have a display of traditional archery stuff vs tech archery stuff (longbow vs compound bow / wood arrow vs carbon arrow / plastic nock vs lighted nock / flemish string vs no stretch string / glove or tab vs fancy release / back quiver vs carbon bow quiver / plaid wool coat vs leafy camo coat / old style tree stand vs Lone Wolf stand / etc).
-Maybe put something in one (or more) balloons (powder / sparkles) and the kid(s) who pop that balloon gets a special door prize (hunter's camo bible / arrow signed by pastor-celebrity-you / meat stix / etc.)
Blessing on your event!
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 12:29:51 AM »
Archie,

I’ve done this very thing at our church for the past 3-4 years now. McDave advise is spot on and I follow it pretty much. I’ve been a one man marching band as far as help, but have managed to make it happen.

I’ve tried to make it fun mostly so there’s a “spark” lit 🔥. I place balloons on hay bales to give a visual and sound stimulus when an arrow makes its mark.

Another game that’s been popular is ballon “tic tac toe”where I take 6 balloons 3 of one color and 3 of another scattered on the bales and have a team of 3 girls against a team of 3 boys. First to pop all of their color wins!  You’d be surprised how often it’s the girls.

These events have been hugely popular with all ages!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©