3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade broadheads  (Read 4703 times)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade broadheads
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Nice looking heads!
James Kerr

Offline Wolfhound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Really nice. Thanks for posting.
Leftie stick slinger.

Offline JJACOBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
That is an awesome job, I tried that once and my attempts were comical.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
So ya got a name for them?  Maybe Sawbone Killers...

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
It is amazing how much time is wasted on  tv.
Great looking heads do we get a look at the whole setup?

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I see he posted 5 years ago and I also wonder if he took a deer with   those heads.

Interesting that they look like 1947 Roy Case heads who was also from Wisconson.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 08:08:00 AM »
Awesome. Lots of talent there. Good luck with them.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
I have been making and using homemade heads for years but I have never made any that look that good.  Very nice!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I don't understand the jig used for sawing the slot in the tip.  I don't see the OP here in the revival thread, but maybe someone can explain how it works?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Nice work, hope they get many kills!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Holy Smookes! this thread has not be pulled up in a long time.

Here is my blog entry the year I made those heads and then the final version of them.

Sat. Nov. 8

I moved one of my ladder stands last week and sat in it for the first time on Saturday afternoon. I got to the stand at 2:30 pm and hung 4 small sponges soaked in Tinks 69 upwind of my location and then climbed into the stand. It was COLD with a slight rain snow mix and hard Northwest winds. The soggy river bottom and the rain made it almost impossible to hear anything approaching so I sat tight with my hood pulled up to keep me dry.

At 3:30 I heard a noise to my left (down wind side) and turned to see a buck at 10 yards. He didn't smell me but I think he was focused on the Tinks sponges. I was busted sitting. I have never harvested a deer from a seated position but there was no chance in standing up with the buck so close. He took a few more steps towards the sponges and stopped with his head and part of his front shoulder blocked by a big cedar tree. I took the longbow that was resting on my lap and moved it to the vertical position. and got ready for him to step forward but he just stood there. I leaned back and could see the hair line on the back edge of the front leg so I figured I would take the shot.

I took the below picture the next morning to show where he was standing and made a poor attempt at sketching where he stood.

I had plenty of time to tell myself to pick a spot and to take a good aim and then release. The arrow hit a bit high and the deer lurched forward and turned to run back on the trail he came from. About half of my 29 inch arrows was still visible as he ran off. I gave 3 loud blows on my grunt tube and he stopped for a moment and then walked off.

I knew I had hit him high but I was not too far back so I was sure I had hit him in the lungs. I desided to sit for 20 minutes but waited 45 instead since he took off with my arrow. At 4:15 I got down and collected my sponges and went to where he stood to take up the trail. There was no blood to be found but the black muddy kicked up tracks made the trail easy to follow.

After tracking about 40 yards, I spotted a shed antler in the wet leaves.

A few feet further I found my broken arrow. the first 6 inches were missing

After going another 20 yards I found the only blood that I would find while tracking this deer.

Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
It was getting dark as I kept following the muddy trail along the river. It took me all the way to my other ladder stand so I desided to walk out to my truck to drop off the bow and quiver and take up a path that would lead me back to the stand but would parrallel the trail that I had just followed about 40 yards closer to the field edge. As I approached my truck, I jumped a deer and my heart sank. I never got a good look at the deer because it was too dark but I still took up the trail back to my stand and if I came up empty I would come back in the morning and take up the trail again.

As I re-entered the river bottom to walk through the tall grass, I stumbled upon my buck. It was just dumb luck to walk into the woods where I did but I will take a bit of good fortune anywhere I can find it.

I learend the next morning that the trail I was following branched off and he died about 30 yards past the branch on the other trail. I looked him over and realized that he had died only a few yards from the spot my Uncle Stan used to hunt. Uncle Stan died a few weeks ago and when I put everything together in my mind, I just took a moment to sit in the grass and reflect on Uncle Stan and the fact that I had just realized my goal of harvesting a deer with all homemage gear and to do it in the same woods that Stan and I hunted so many years ago made it a pretty emotional event. Your never too old to shed a tear. I sat there pondering things and giving thanks for my good fortune.

After gutting I examined the deer to find that I had gone through both sides even though the arrow stayed with the deer. I expected to find the front half of the arrow and my homemade broadhead inside the deer but it no resides somewhere along the trail of his final steps. I had hit the top of the near lung and the upper third of the far side lung. He traveled less than 100 yards brfore it expired.

Exit side hole

My goal was to partake in a hunt like the founder of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association (Roy Case) did back in the 1930's. Roy was the first person in WI to harvest a deer with a bow during a recognized archery deer season. He did it with a homemade longbow and arrows and his own homemade broadheads.

I couldn't be more pleased with my good fortune. My goal was to take a deer with a homemade gear and I was able to realize that goal in the same woods that I was brought up in. It doesn't get any better than this.  I feel very fortunate to have achieved this goal.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Let me be the first to congratulate you!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
My wife bought me one of these heads at Compton's a few years back. I gifted it to my buddy KHALVERSON since he made me some tradepoints. It sure does mount and spin well. So that buck was from 2007? How many more since then have been taken with these heads?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Yes I got rif of a few at compton. I was not planning to but the members of ABCC are smooth talkers. (im a member too)

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Nice boadheads, nice buck, Great Story!   :notworthy:
Conny

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Great work and a great job all around, CONGRATS !!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Great story thanks for sharing it with us!  I've admired your homemade broad heads for a long time.  Keep thinking one of these days...

Keep up the great work!

K.C.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
A fine animal to make a dream a reality.
Nice job.
Tim

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
good job.
after you braze them do you retemper them as the heat from the brazing process would soften the steel of the blade wouldn't it?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©