3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow advise -Please  (Read 306 times)

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow advise -Please
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
I shoot a 64"/65# T/D recurve,I've been shooting 29 1/2 " 2020 aluminum arrows out of it and have been happy with this setup. I got a "bug" and deceided to try carbon arrows. I went to the local pro shop,to get advise and ended walking out with a 1/2 dozen Axis 400 arrows per thier advise,cut to 29 1/2". I think I blew it ,I'm shooting Woodmans,but Im having real toubles with this shaft. I'm sure I got the wrong spine or wrong length. I could use any suggestions,as to the right shaft size,brand,or ideas if I could make the shafts I have work. Or should I just cut my loses and stick with aluminum? Thank You -for your help---1Longbow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow advise -Please
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
I never cut carbon shafts for a trad bow without shooting them first bare.What kind of problems are you having.Pro shops can help if you are shooting a wheel bow,but most are clueless to picking the correct carbon for a trad bow.Axis 400's could be right but just need to know what kind of problems you are having.

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks for your help,
 With just the broadhead and screw in insert they seem to have a mind of thier own ,and fly in about a 10 inch group. I screwed in a 200 grain field point and the groups shrank,with alittle tail wobble. So I'm guessing that I need more weight up front and maybe some nock point adjustments? Does this sound right--Thank you again--1Longbow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
You should strip one and try it bare,but it sounds like they may be alittle stiff.With carbon arrows I'll pick the starting spine and the head weight I plan to shoot.Shoot it bare and see how it hits the target.With carbons you have your starting spine and then you adjust the dynamic spine by shooting them bare and trimming alittle at a time and or add weight up front untill you get them shooting where you want.Since you are already at 29.5" maybe try some 250 gr. points and see how they shoot and that will help you bring up the weight of the arrow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
There are many variables but you are darn close. I would shoot 225 up front and see how well they fly. I bet that gets ya balls close! Shawn
Shawn

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Thank you very much ,I'll give it a try. Also what do you use to cut your carbon shafts. Thanks --1Longbow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
I just use a Harbor Freight mini-cut off saw for around $20 to $25.I mounted it on a plank and made an adjustable stop block for repetive equal length cuts.Carbons should be cut with a high speed saw,you can also use a dremel tool and a G5 squarring tool.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
I would also check to see if the nocks are too tight on the string.  I think Shawn is right about starting with 225 up front.  Carbons are a little tricky at first, but you will like them after you get them tuned.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©