3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkeys and kids  (Read 1354 times)

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turkeys and kids
« on: March 12, 2019, 01:09:35 PM »
My 10 year old daughter got drawn for 3 youth hunts for the upcoming turkey season.  She has hunted them before with her shotgun, but has not taken a bird yet.  When she found out she drew the tags, her first question was it she couldn't with her bow.  Here's where I could use some advice.  All of my archery turkeys were taken with bows ranging from 50# to 70#.  Her regular longbow is only 25# at her draw.  What is the minimum draw weight you would recommend for turkey (I also need to see if there is a minimum legal weight)?  I'm thinking of seeing if she can work up to shooting one of my wife's bows, which would put her shooting 30-40# depending on the bow, and sticking to close shots from a blind.  We have a 3d turkey to practice on from inside a blind.  Should I go this route?  I can tell the idea of hunting them really seems to have "lit the fire" in her , while the idea of hunting with her shotgun holds little interest.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkeys and kids
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »
I should also add the challenge of making shots from kneeling, or however she’d shoot at a bird.
If you do chose the bow best of luck. I hope it gets pulled off
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
I’m not trying to discourage you totally. Just think of all the challenges for a first bird.
Think about her set up, arrows, broadhead, etc. think about the small target. Can she consistantly hit a very small area at unknown ranges, in unfamiliar positions?
Think about if she missed or wounded a bird. I bet she’d not like that. We get one chance w kids. Imo we need to grow them.
Here’s my personal suggestion. Find out your info. Legal draw weight, etc. Than if she’s strong enough work towards getting ready. It’d be cool as hell to see her succeed but tell her until she’s ready w everything you want her to have a chance.
Forgot to add, has she shot any game even w her bow? Now imagine a bird gobbling so loud she could feel it’s sound waves. Can she pull that shot off at 10?
Begin to get her ready. Enjoy all the processes. Teach her responsibility for game. If she’s not ready, as the father you need to tell her no.
Once she’s able in every way you can try w the ability to go back if at any time she wants to.
It’s all gotta be at her pace w you steering her ship.
Hope that made sense. Easy to be excited for our kids. Gotta be realistic too. Bow isn’t impossible real soon. Start her journey toward that goal
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »
Fellers ...

Trad Gang is about traditional archery hunting = traditional bows.

We don't host talk about other types of hunting weapons.

Thank you.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:07 PM »
Fellers ...

Thank you.

Rob I do understand but I didn’t think it was best just to say “No bad idea” and leave it there. You’ll get no slack from me though
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »
Fellers ...

Thank you.

Rob I do understand but I didn’t think it was best just to say “No bad idea” and leave it there. You’ll get no slack from me though

not sure what you mean, michael - your thread is viable and the basis for a good discussion of pre-teens and hunting.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »
Thought you were upset we mentioned non trad gear. It wasn’t my intent to cause any issues
Meant no flack not slack
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
Thought you were upset we mentioned non trad gear. It wasn’t my intent to cause any issues

not at all upset, just following the trad gang posting rules.  your mention of your daughter's shotgun use was in the periphery, just to set the stage for input on her upcoming bowhunt.  subsequent posts by others focused more on non-trad bow weaponry.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
Ok I understand
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
it's commendable that your daughter asked about doing the hunt with a bow.  for her to bowhunt turk, i think a lot will have to do with her hunting venue accuracy with her current bow, and parallel that with your local trad bowhunt bow laws for weight requirements, which may change her decision to go with a trad bow.

pavan

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
I do know for a fact that an Appellation flat limb longbow that is 32 pounds at 24" will put a 5/16" cedar with a Hunter's Head will put that arrow right through a turkey.  My son's first big game kill, he was also ten at the time.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »
I’ve taught both my son and daughter to bow hunt turkeys. A few things, first we made sure both were comfortable making a shot on a small target at about 12 yards or so. Secondly, I felt comfortable both were pulling enough weight.  I believe my daughters first bird was when she was nine and my son’s first was when he was 11.

I can’t tell you about a minimum weight, as both children’s draw lengths were different when they first took their birds. Both were in the lower to mid 30s as I remember it.  That’s actually the same weight they started hunting Whitetail with as well.

Personally, I got the kids started with bow hunting small game and bow fishing as it made great sport and the time spent afield was never wasted. I don’t know if your state allows for fall turkey permits, but you may spend the spring and summer getting her ready to take a fall gobbler or hen if it is legal.

Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©