3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FPS and KE  (Read 316 times)

Offline David Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
FPS and KE
« on: April 02, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
I am a relatively new archer who is shooting a PSE Coyote 60" with a 50lb draw. The arrows I am using are carbon 400 grain powerflights that are 30" (I think). I am mostly interested in target shooting at first and maybe after a few years moving on to deer hunting. I am 6'-6" tall and currently have no problems with the draw weight. I am just wondering what my current arrow speed (fps) and KE are as well as what everyone thinks of my current setup.

Thanks
Dave Gray
 - -
If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
 - -
PSE Coyote 50#

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FPS and KE
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
There is an on line calculator for KE and FPS at jacksons Archery-Google will help you find it. Sounds like you are off to a fine start you might consider moving up your hunting shedule and get started sooner. Lots of opportunities in your area.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
David,

You are going to need to shoot thru a chrono to get the arrow speed.  As tall as you are you might have someone measure your drawlength also.  I'm guessing you are longer then 28" and therefore are drawing more then 50#s.

Actually all the numbers mean squat, just shoot the bow and get good with it.  If your arrow flight is straight and true, try some broadheads.  If they fly the same.  Your good to go.

Dang as good as the hunting is up there, I would be figuring how to get a spring bear hunt real soon.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
David

With a good practice schedule (several times a week and every day is better, IMHO) you ought to be able to hunt this fall.  There's plenty of time for you to develop your form and be shooting well enough to hunt at reasonable ranges by fall.
Otto

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
You should be good to go if you're getting good arrow flight.  As Mike said, the numbers don't mean a whole lot except for conversation 8^).

Offline David Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, that was really helpful. The Bass Pro Shop guy was right about this forum, it's really quick and populated by pro's from everywhere.
Dave Gray
 - -
If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
 - -
PSE Coyote 50#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©