3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's see your favorite trad bowhunting photos!  (Read 5108 times)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Let's see your favorite trad bowhunting photos!
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
I really enjoy seeing other folks' photos.  What are your favorites?  Here are a couple of mine.  They've been posted before (and one is my avatar), but I like them.  Now let's see some of yours and hear a little of the story behind them!

That was taken a couple years ago in NW Alaska on a caribou hunt with Bill Wright and Bill Guderly.  Great trip, great guys.  I built that little inukshuk on a ridge near our drop camp.  It was a welcome sight several times while fumbling home in the fog/sleet/drizzle.

This is my son, Joe, at age six.  I wanted to take a photo of him at full draw.  I told him to pretend there was a mountain lion coming over our fence.  He dropped his kiddy arrow with the plastic vanes, pulled a 2216 out of my quiver, drew back and said, "Now I'm ready."   I believed him, too.     :wavey:      Big hogs, huge grasshoppers!      :eek:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's see your favorite trad bowhunting photos!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
South Africa, Nov. 2005

When I returned from the days hunting I found this baby squirrel laying on my spare arrows! I had them placed on the desk besides my bed, so that feathers and honed broadheads wouldn't touch anything.
I tried to call his mother and placed him in the tree next to my Chalais. Next morning he was gone. Hours later the Squirrel gods paid back, when one appeared 3ft in front of my face, whilst I had already stood for over an hour behind some belly high brush, but otherwise in plain sight of 30 Impala only 40yrds away. Some does had nailed me by that time and now watched that squirrel closely examine the 'strange thing' (in predator camo) behind the brush. The little fellow was chewing heavily and flicking his tail, not sure what I was. For at least a minute he was 'thinking' but made no sound - and then he prepared to jump on my shoulder! Just before 'take off' he decided otherwise and left the scene to the side.
The Impalas had watched all that and were now calming down again, because their 'reconnaissance patrol' had signaled no alarm! I didn't got an arrow of though. Just to many eyes and me now unable to move without pain and cramps everywhere - from over an hour of 'freezing' ...

P.S.
Woody, I absolutely love your grasshopper pic!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Cool pictures guys.
hunt it

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
A lot of Mojo in this spot.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
My son's first hog

Couple of weeks after his 12th birthday, and the hunt was a present.

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Great photos....great thread!  Looking forward to contributing some of my own soon.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Getting to meet Ken Beck was a great day for me. Nineteen years ago when I started with traditional gear I didn't know a thing so I called down to Black Widow. They were a great help and I still appreciate the time spent on the phone with me.

A few years ago I went to Kansas to hunt really big bucks. I hunted a stand we called the tomestone. This was almost a mile from the nearest dirt road and over 12 miles from pavement. My stand was 400 yards behind this tree. I went back the week after Christmas 2007 and hunted this stand again. Walking in looking at crystal clear stars I walked to within a few feet of this tree in the pitch black.
 I've always thought what a nice quiet spot to rest.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
These three knives were made for me through another friend.The knife maker was and is a Thalidomide baby.For those not familier with this in the late 50's and 60's a drug thalidomide was given to thousands of pregnant women in Britain and the U.S.Thousands of babies were born with horrible birth defects mostly no arms.These knives were made by a man with no arms,made by his feet only true story.He hunts,fishes and drives his four wheeler.I gave the two deer handles to my sons-in-law and kept the other at my camp.When I start to complain about my problems I think of these knives and how lucky I am to be able to pull a bow.Kip

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
I took this pic of a British Columbia bear before I attempted a stalk on him. I did this in my sock feet. Yes the ground water is still cold in Canada in May..LOL I was able to get 18 steps and draw my recurve on him. Early in the trip and the guide told me that we didn't want this bear. Bears do get bigger the closer you get. Fun, and more fun...

My National Geograpic pic. Canada Moose.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
My favorite spot near home:

Another with bow:

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
How about a "COULD BE" traditional bowhunting photo - as in, it COULD BE if I COULD just draw a tag   :mad:  Took this one last september. Not too uncommon to run across these in some of the spots I chase elk, and I WILL draw one day. OH, and so you know, the camera was not zoomed in. He was about fifteen yards.

Is it September yet?!

Offline Doc Blues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Hello Bill,

I find your pictures great, those are of your brother Russell
that with the pig, but of the other side I have as wallpaper

Markus
Black Widow PCH X 58" 48@28
Wes Wallace Mentor/td 60" 46#@27
Longbow Stegmeyer 66" 48#@27
Bear Kodiak Magnum 1962 52" 50#@28
Selfbow Ash Flatbow, 70" 43#@27
Colt Hunt Master 1967, 52"  45#@28

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Woody, Good to see your post. Yep that Inukshuk you built guided me back to camp often. Here is one Bill G took of me overlooking just a small part of our spectacular view.
click:

Here is one of my last chance Bull:
click:

This last one means a lot today. It is of me, my friend Bob and my very good buddy Fred Kasch. Fred is almost 95 years old and shoots a 45# selfbow, he took 3 animals in Africa about 3 years ago. For those that know Fred, he is not doing so hot right now. Any prayers would be appreciated. I love this guy like he was my own family. This was a happy and proud day for us. I hope we get to hunt together again soon.
click:

Bill
Aim Small

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
this is my first buck with trad gear.  

My first rabbit

The Kentucky Landscape from last years hunt

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
First Arrow in the air

First Deer

First Bear

First Buck

First main land Boar

Hunting together

Last bear together

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Cool pics everyone.Thanks for sharing.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Very cool set of pictures Kingwouldbe!  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
The next time someone asks me why I love Traditional bowhunting, I will so them.  Thanks a bunch!
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »

I hunted for 3 years with a compund, never collected an animal.  My second season with a longbow, I shot a button buck, no pictures taken unfortunatly. My second animal, my first Black Bear taken with my 21st Century constellation at about 8 yards.  Ran straight up a tree after the shot, and dropped a minute or so later, no blood trail.  The little guy in the pic is my nephew, he was only 3 in that pic, just turned 9 last month.

My buck from 2006.  Taken with my Hoyt designed heritage longbow.  Shot distance of about 10 yards. Poor hit, long recovery, full story coming in a future issue of TBM.

The bucks final resting place

07 grouse.  First blood with my new to me Sky trophy longbow.  Man I love Earl's bows, may be time to look for a take down soon, or maybe a 66" model, or ....
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline B4NZ41

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »

those little pock marks are all tracks. (mostly deer)

Good day of scouting.  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©