3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Right Spine?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Moreton

• Trad Bowhunter
Right Spine?
« on: April 03, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
Hey, this is my first post here. I hope to learn a lot here, and maybe make a few more friends. I'm new to archery, and have been practising with a 30#@28' recurve for the last six months. It's little more than a toy, really. So I have bought a 40#@28' L/B in order to advance to higher draw weights in increments, eventually shooting a 60-65#. I wanted to buy some carbon arrows for use with this bow, but have never used them before, just woods and aluminiums. How are the different spine weights and sizes designated on carbons, and , what would be the carbon equivalent of a 5/16ths wooden arrow, or a 1916 aluminium?
Thanks in advance for answers to this. Oh, and if this is the wrong forum for this, sorry, can you guide me to the right one?   ;)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Right Spine?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:54:00 AM »
The carbon industry has this all screwed up.
Gold Tip uses spines like 3555, 5575 and 7595 on some shafts. The 3555 represents spine for bows of 35lbs to 55 lbs etc. But, that may be fairly accurate for compounds, but it is far off for trad bows. The 3555 is actually a .500 spine and for trad bows of about 45-53 lbs or so, depends on length, point weight etc. Gold Tip labels some shafts with the spine,, such as 500, 600 etc. This number represents the amount of deflection when a specific weight is pulled at the center of the shaft. example, a .500 shaft deflexs .5 of an inch. The weight is a 2 lb weight, the shaft is held on the ends 26" total length (might be 28", cant rememeber for sure). A 600 spine deflexs .6 0f an inch. So a 600 spine is weaker than a 500 spine.
Carbon Express rates some of their shafts as 150, 250 etc.  A 150 is about .500 spine, a 250 is about .400 spine, You need to look at their charts for exact spine ratings. Confused? Well, it gets worse. They also use other numbers just as confusing.
The bottom line in this mess is to disregard arrow spine charts if using trad gear. You need to bareshaft tune to find which one flys best in your bow. And, to confuse you even more........all bows of the same poundage will not need the same spine shaft! The way the riser is cut, the brace height and tiller will make a difference as does the string thickness and string material. The only answer is bareshaft tune!
A 40# bow needs a spine of about 600. A bow of 60-65 # needs a spine of about 400. Again, shaft length, point weight will determine the specifics.
John

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Sipsey River said it very well.  I think the closest carbon you may find would be a Carbon Express Heirtage 90.  This is a fairly new size to this arrow.

Offline Moreton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
Thanks fellas, seems the best I can do is just buy a few examples of different brands, in various gauges, until I find what's right.Your advise is much appreciated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©