3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: four fletch  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
four fletch
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:15:45 PM »
anyone use it? Show example (pics) and your reasoning
I was thinking about them as my release isnt the cleanest at times
Slickhead

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: four fletch
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:46:36 PM »
i used to use a 4x4" fletch- instead of a 3x5"
never found much difference, really worked on my bareshaft tuning, now shoot 3x4" - really good flight- with all broadheads.

i liked the 4 fletch- it was something different- sure made it easy to nock an arrow without looking down.
 but it does cost 25% more to fletch :bigsmyl:

i dont know if it would help with a release issue, but each to their own.
 it will knock the trajectory off, as soon as the speed starts to bleed off, with 33% more drag. and it will effect the dynamic spine of the shaft slightly- stiffening it slightly!

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »
I have recently gone back to 4 x 4" on 90 Degrees Parabolics because they are much more quiet than 3 x 5" Shields.  Had a buddy stand behind a tree just off of my target and he said the 4 x 4" were almost silent.  Over the years I Had gone back to 3 x 5" but decided the 4 x 4" are the best for me.

Good luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »
I shoot 4 fletch when I use feathers. I generally use 4 3 inch feathers in a parabolic or similar to a blazer vane that I burn just wider than my broadhead. If you shoot 90 degree 4 fletch test for good clearance on your shelf or rest as there is no optimal alignment. If you use a bitz there is an alternate 120/60 degree 4 fletch setting that gives a much more forgiving clearance.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »

This yellow fletch is 90 degrees. You can see why this is less than optimal, particularly off the shelf.

This setting is more forgiving. If you shoot off the shelf rotating the nock to align the inner most feather to 2 o'clock is probably the best.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
Have used 4 4" fletch for about 40 years, set at 75 x 105.  No particular reason except I like how they fly and don't require looking at them to get the cock feather right. 
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »
very interesting point on the silence- i will have to check that out for myself again!

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »
went to 4 4 inch low profile banana fletch last year. Contrary to Wayne's finding, it's actually cheaper.  I can get 2 4 inch fletch from a full length feather but only 1 5.5 inch for my old high back shields.  I still prefer the look of the 3 5.5 shields and may go back.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
good point! Murray!

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 07:30:40 PM »
Question for you four fletch shooters. Do you find the feathers more septible to rubbing on each other in a quiver?
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

pavan

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
My choice for my spring turkey bow is which one that I can shoot and hit a turkey size target the most often at 30 yards with my 4 by 4" 1918s with the Herters four blade heads.  The winner is my left hand Berry Morningstar.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
Question for you four fletch shooters. Do you find the feathers more septible to rubbing on each other in a quiver?

I don't but my feathers are not as tall as most.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
No, I don't have any issues with feathers rubbing.  Yes, it is a tighter fit in my bow quivers than 3-fletch, but not so tight that they won't fit easily or with rubbing.  The Target Maxx feathers that I use most make it even easier than shields, because of the low profile.  I have no issues with noise unless I get a bad feather, which is rare and easy to spot and replace.  I like nocking in any orientation, without feather referencing and, I use 90-degree orientation.  I have not experienced any clearance or wear conditions on my plate or rest.  Generally 4" or 4.5" feathers.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 02:56:56 AM »
so heres something i want to ask, and like most of us, i am probably overthinking this.
 we are told, that with woods and carbons to test the spines on the shaft to ascertain which is the stiffest side- and to always use that against the bow.
 I know the wooden shafts i use- have the spine and mass, stamped on the shaft on the side it was measured- so when the spines are matched, i simply build my arrows with those numbered sides against the riser.
 so if we are doing a "no look" nocking orientation- that point would be negated.
not withstanding the other benefits of the 4 fletch of course!

Offline Jason W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 05:59:44 AM »
Lots of great infor here and all valid points!
I will throw my opinion into the mix. :campfire:

I love 4 fletch, I find a good tuned arrow will stabilize even quicker with 4 fletch. I do try to use a smaller feather when I 4 fletch.

I have always been a big fan of 3-4” parabolic feathers as they have less drag than 3-5”, or even 4-3”. And are MUCH quieter. We have done lots of tests on sound and found that parabolic is much quieter. Even with 4 fletch.

In my typical hunting situation, I like 4-4” parabolic so I get the best and quickest stabilization at short ranges. I typically hunt 20 yards and in, so, drag is not really an issue. If I would hunt in open areas where I might take a shot at 30y, then I would play with 2”-3” 4 fletch configurations.

Last year I shot the 2” gateway Batwings for field archery and hunting. I was very impressed with these little feathers. However, lots of time and tuning needs done to shoot a feather that small.

This is why the A&A feather is a great choice. 2.5” 4 fletch is a great balance for most hunting/shooting situations. The A&A feather is pretty impressive on stabilization and drag.

One more thing, When I 3 fletch, I put a helical on the feather. When I 4 fletch, I do straight. The helical with 4 fletch manipulates the flight too much for me. You can see the arrow rotation too much. IMO

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 07:09:14 AM »
I didn't take time to read anything as I posted on this 700 times since Tradgang started.....

There are benefits to four Fletch......

I went from 5 and a 1/2 inch 3 fletch to 5 inch 4 Fletch on the same jig.... No noticeable distance  In trajectory at all....out to any distance.

The gofers at 40 to 60 yards with Doug Campbell didn't know the difference ...but the hogs inside 8 yards in 4 states sure did.

For the bow hunter I think the benefits  Out weigh  any kind of cons most couldn't shoot the difference.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 07:30:49 AM »
Fujimo, nock is oriented parallel to stiff side of arrow so when nocked the arrows stiff side is perpendicular to bow. Rotate arrow 180 degrees and nock it, stiff spine is still perpendicular to bow.

Love my 4 fletch, 4x4@90 parabolics. Good stabilization, just nock and shoot.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Stunchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »
I used 4x4” for a while. But went back to 3x4”.  The reasons I went back were that I could not tell the difference when shooting (less than 35 yards - greater than 35, then 3 is better), three is quicker and less expensive to fletch when building your own arrows, 3 fletched arrows bunch up in my quiver more compactly, and lastly because Black Eagle does a great job with their 3 fletched and crested arrows, so why not just use them.

Offline Jason W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »
Well said Terry.
The advantages out way the disadvantages for a bowhunter!

My only point to make is, with 4 feathers, use the quietest feather your comfortable with. And there is a noticible sound between different feathers.

Hunting and quiet go hand and hand.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 09:16:48 AM »
To me, 4 fletch makes a lot of sense on a hunting arrow. I always want lots of feather to steer a broadhead under hunting conditions...imperfect release, damp, etc.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©