3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tab or glove  (Read 3455 times)

Offline edward.penny

• Trad Bowhunter
Tab or glove
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:14:48 PM »
Which do you use and why? I bought a 3 under tab but seem to shoot better split finger. I guess I will have to buy another tab or a glove. Looking something of good quality that will last.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tab or glove
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:27:32 PM »
I have been shooting tabs for many years due to convenience. In cold weather I can wear a fleece glove and still use the tab.
Sam

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
I shot a glove for years, but starting shooting with a deep hook some years ago and went to a tab because the American leather gloves I had always used did not give me the dexterity I needed for this style of shooting. Once I went to a tab I never looked back.. It just seems to give me a lot more "feel" of the string..

There are a lot of good tabs out there, but I personally settled on the Jenkins safari tuff tabs some years ago.. They just seem to fit me best and last forever.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 08:58:25 PM »
Black Widow tab for 45 years and counting.  Split finger.  When I try a glove I don't have the good feel the tab offers.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
I think you will find that trad shooters' preferences are divided pretty equally between tabs and gloves.  I have changed between them several times, and finally settled on a tab.  From your personal perspective, I don't think it matters much why another shooter would choose a tab or a glove, because there are many great shooters on either side of the line.  Pick the one you think you will like the best, and you will either be motivated to change after a while or you won't.  I think experience is the only answer.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:16:16 PM »
Personally, I use a light camo glove.  Really, good feel on the string. 
 :coffee: :thumbsup: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

GCook

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:21:09 PM »
Bearpaw speed glove.  I haven't worked hard enough to master a tab yet.  The glove works even with a deep hook so change is hard.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 07:30:44 AM »
I like a   Glove for convenience.... I can't keep up with a  tab.

I've been shooting deep hooks  Since I was 8 years old.

I love the American leathers gloves....

Just use what you feel comfortable with and what works best for you..... As one is not superior for everyone.

And, neither are release aids....just finger protection.  I've killed lots of game without my glove as sometimes I can't keep up with my glove.  :biglaugh:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »
Tab for me. Make sure you have the correct size tab. I go with the simple bateman cordovan 3 under or the death adder tab.

Also, three under and change to tab may require you to retune. Check it out with bareshaft.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
I bounce around. Now, Im using big shot (American Leathers) before Eagle Flight cordovan tab.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
A while back, TBM did a survey of their readers as to which they prefer and 63% said glove and 37% tab. I personally use a tab.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
I've been using a Damascus glove since they were $9.00. Got tired of trying to locate the tab or having to climb down from the treestand to recover it.  :knothead:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
Glove when I was a kid and younger.  Tab nowadays.  Why?  Tab works better for me and my release.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
Shot a glove for 6 years and after trying several 3 under tabs I've settled on the trad geeks carbon fiber tab.  Works very well and I don't think I could go back to a glove.  Gets my fingers tighter to my face for a smooth release!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:33:58 PM by 9 Shocks »
60” Bivouac Backland ILF longbow 42@27
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 45@27

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 11:20:12 PM »
I like split finger and just ended up with tabs. I can wear gloves as said before and it’s clean and easy. I started making my own. Used my buddy’s glove last night and it’s fine, but I prefer a tab after years and years of a glove.

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 03:53:35 PM »
I'm new to the whole thing and these are some of my experiences...

Was recently gifted a Black Widow PCH- 65# @ 28''. My first recurve, so obviously far too heavy for me to shoot consistently. As a result, I bought a cheap used recurve off eBay here in Australia, with sets of 35# and 50# limbs. It also came with a leather glove.

I can shoot the 35# accurately without any finger protection at all. My release of the string is consistent.

At 35# with the glove, my releases are very inconsistent. It's like shooting a rifle with a terrible trigger. The glove takes away a lot of dexterity and feel and seems to hang up on the string and even cause my shots to go right a fair bit.

Have briefly shot the 50# limbs with my fingers and I seem to be more accurate, but my fingers start to kill after a few shots so I go back to glove. Again, inconsistent releases.

Shooting the BW at 65# is impossible for me without a glove but I find I can be reasonably accurate because the power of the bow rips the string out of my fingers quickly and allows for a more consistent release, all things considered.

Have ordered a BW finger tab and should get it next week. I'm very keen to see how it feels but I predict it will give me much more feel and consistent releases across the board.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 04:04:46 PM »
Glove for 3-D and hunting and I'm shooting split-finger. A tab for indoor and field archery with a target bow and shoot that 3 under and split depending on distance.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »
Cordovan split finger tab with a finger separator.  People like what they like..  Cordovan wears like iron and will last thousands upon thousands of shot. 
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »
Shot leather glove for years, then switched to a Bateman tab (which got stolen along with my TS III, and other hunting stuff), then switched to just a light camo mesh glove for hunting.  Protection enough for the one or two shoots I take per day.  3-D season will start back up and I have some "new to me" longbows that are in the upper poundage range, so may go back to tab. 
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 01:12:41 AM »
I started off with the duraglove, got a tab for kicks from braveheart archery and found that I initially liked a glove. Got a bison American leathers glove for my 60 lb bow and that developed deep grooves. I then got my toelke recurve and the tab set that Dan sells. That was the most consistent I have been with any finger protection. Lost that tab and am presently shooting a bw superleather tab which has developed surface cracks despite applying leather conditioner.
Have another of Dan's tab on order.

Definitely tab for me , I get a cleaner release and less finger wear
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©