3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to know when your overbowed, ready to drop down in bow weight  (Read 3927 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  I’m just curious when other members know when they are “overbowed “ and its time to drop down in bow weight.
 Not being  able to hit the target?
 If you are snapshooter, and NOT holding the bow back at full draw,  are you able to get away with more bow weight?
If you are an archer that holds at full draw,  is it the amount of time that you would like to hold back a full draw but shake to much?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to know when your overbowed, ready to drop down in bow weight
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »
For me pain was a good indicator.
I could still shoot bows over 60# but my bow hand just can't take the presure.
Also shooting a bow is accumulative, the damage can occur over time and then it's too late.
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 12:45:27 PM »
For me pain was a good indicator.
I could still shoot bows over 60# but my bow hand just can't take the presure.
Also shooting a bow is accumulative, the damage can occur over time and then it's too late.

That’s interesting,  what bow weight are you shooting now?  I have my bows at 59 pounds, I am considering going down to 50/51  pounds while I advance in my older age.  I would personally rather drop down in bow  weight, knowing that that bow weight  is good for anything I want to hunt in North America

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »
If you are snapshooter, and NOT holding the bow back at full draw,  are you able to get away with more bow weight?
If you are an archer that holds at full draw, is it the amount of time that you would like to hold back a full draw but shake to much?

I don’t really understand your first comment above.  Why would you not want to hold the bow at full draw?  I think the inability to hold a bow comfortably at full draw is a good indication of being overbowed, whether a person is snap shooting or not.  The hold time for a snap shooter may be very short, but there should still be an instant when the bow is held at full draw.

I think the second comment is accurate.  You should be able to hold comfortably at full draw for as long as you want to.  If you can’t, it is a good indication you are overbowed.  Probably a snap shooter who only holds momentarily at full draw can pull a few more pounds comfortably at full draw than a person who holds for a longer time at full draw.  A person who holds for 2 seconds can probably pull a few more pounds comfortably than a person who holds for 4 seconds, etc.

Injuries are a whole other ball game.  People who learn to draw correctly can avoid injuries more than a person who doesn’t.  However, some people are more prone to getting injuries from shooting the bow than others, and by the time they know that it is too late to completely repair the problem.  My advice is to shoot the minimum weight bow you need to get the job done.  I know a lot of people don’t like that advice, and they are welcome to their opinions; some of them may be in the group that will never have a heart attack, cancer, or shoulder problems.  This is something that is difficult to predict in advance, or, as Dirty Harry said, “Do you feel lucky today, punk?”

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:43:18 PM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »
If you are an archer that holds at full draw, is it the amount of time that you would like to hold back a full draw but shake to much?

I don’t really understand your first comment above.  Why would you not want to hold the bow at full draw?  I think the inability to hold a bow comfortably at full draw is a good indication of being overbowed, whether a person is snap shooting or not.  The hold time for a snap shooter may be very short, but there should still be an instant when the bow is held at full draw.

I think the second comment is accurate.  You should be able to hold comfortably at full draw for as long as you want to.  If you can’t, it is a good indication you are overbowed.  Probably a snap shooter who only holds momentarily at full draw can pull a few more pounds comfortably at full draw than a person who holds for a longer time at full draw.  A person who holds for 2 seconds can probably pull a few more pounds comfortably than a person who holds for 4 seconds, etc.

Injuries are a whole other ball game.  People who learn to draw correctly can avoid injuries more than a person who doesn’t.  However, some people are more prone to getting injuries from shooting the bow than others, and by the time they know that it is too late to completely repair the problem.  My advice is to shoot the minimum weight bow you need to get the job done.  I know a lot of people don’t like that advice, and they are welcome to their opinions; some of them may be in the group that will never have a heart attack, cancer, or shoulder problems.  This is something that is difficult to predict in advance, or, as Dirty Harry said, “Do you feel lucky today, punk?”
To answer your first question, when I say snapshooter, I mean someone that holds possibly a quarter to a half a second .  More of a one fluid motion, but still reaches full draw .

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »
Makes sense.  I found it kind of a difficult concept to express myself.  Now that I understand what you meant, I think it's reasonable that a snapshooter should be able to hold a few more pounds than a person who draws and holds.  The key would be whatever a person feels comfortable with.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 06:07:41 PM »
I shoot nothing over 45# for the past 4 years. And I get pass threw so why do I need more?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

pavan

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »
If you can get to full draw and shoot yourself in the foot, you are not over bowed.   

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 08:52:05 PM »
On a cold morning sitting for an hour or longer chilled can you still reach full draw and make a good shot?

Only you know the answer to that one.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
Mostly, I know when I have great difficulty pulling it back and then shaking heavily when I do reach anchor. In short, when trying to shoot it ain't fun.
Sam

GCook

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »

Dang I think you know me!
I've got shoulder issues.  Lots of manual labor and playing ball until I was 48 didn't help.  3 heart incidents and 5 stents starting at 41.
However shoulder repairs got me back in the game and even the current tear up I have confidence he will repair effectively.   So I will shoot and hunt and work until it all falls apart.
Can't take it with you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

GCook

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »
And I think if you can hold 10 seconds without shaking you aren't over bowed.

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »
My dad had a simple rule.  If you can’t hold full draw for 5 seconds without “shaking like a dog trying to poop a peach pit,” you’re overbowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GCook

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 10:21:05 PM »
My dad had a simple rule.  If you can’t hold full draw for 5 seconds without “shaking like a dog trying to poop a peach pit,” you’re overbowed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah that'll tell ya!

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 10:54:16 PM »
I release as soon as I reach anchor. Why would I need to hold for any amount of time to see if I'm overbowed if I don't hold at anchor anyway?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
I'm a bit of a snap-shooter, but for my test I draw and hold for 3 seconds. As long as I can focus on the spot without my vision shaking a bit, then I consider that to be good. Also, my "overbowed" weight changes. When I'm able to shoot every day, my 62 pound bow feels like a toy. When I haven't been able to shoot for a long time, then 45 seems to be plenty for a couple of days.

Tooner

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »
If I can't reach anchor without farting a little bit, I know its time to back off on the draw weight.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »

As long as I want to? No...

I was shooting 65# 15 years ago or so....then I went to 57#-60#....my new bows are all 50#. My indicator is when I am shooting in a league. I can still shoot a pretty heavy bow a few times, and pretty well. But after 40 50 arrows in a league, if my form starts to fall off, I'm overbowed.

I used to say that I needed a heavier bow because my release was sloppy. I chose to fix that.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Maddog20/20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 07:40:23 PM »

As long as I want to? No...

I was shooting 65# 15 years ago or so....then I went to 57#-60#....my new bows are all 50#. My indicator is when I am shooting in a league. I can still shoot a pretty heavy bow a few times, and pretty well. But after 40 50 arrows in a league, if my form starts to fall off, I'm overbowed.

I used to say that I needed a heavier bow because my release was sloppy. I chose to fix that.

I think this is a good point.  It depends on your shooting.  There’s a vast difference between shooting 50 arrows in a league and 1-2 arrows hunting.

I shoot 50# in my league, but truth be told, I could probably EASILY shoot 65# for hunting purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCook

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »
If I can't reach anchor without farting a little bit, I know its time to back off on the draw weight.
Solid advice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©