3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chickadee's and deer  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chickadee's and deer
« on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:50 PM »
Hey Gang.
I was watching some Chickadees this morning and remembered something about them I'm curious if anyone else has noticed.

I like deer hunting when they're around. Aside from their noise…which has got me looking with hope in their direction more than a few times..lol. And aside from the fact that the more "Dee's" at the end of their call more than not means a higher threat has been sighted. They're just fun to watch.
I find that deer seem to follow them.
I'm not sure if it's just a timing thing..ie they both move through the woods at the same time or not.
But I'll tell ya…I've noticed mostly in the morning…but some evenings too..that the Chickadees move through and within minutes the deer walk through in the same direction the birds are moving.
I wonder if the deer use the birds as a warning signal..if they start ending their call with a bunch of "DEE'S" the deer know it's time to go?
I've noticed this at spots in 3 counties around me…so it's not just one group acting this way.

Any of you ever notice this?…just curious.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chickadee's and deer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
Not with chickadees, but I do the same thing with blue-jays. I love when I can hear them coming, or when they're already around and all the sudden start making a racket.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
I've seen an awful lot of chick-a-dees that weren't accompanied by deer.  It can happen that they come through about the same time, but I'd consider it a coincidence.

I do look around extra carefully when blue jays or squirrels start to act up though.  They often signal the presence of deer or other critters. 

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »
I haven't noticed the correlation between chickadees and deer but I sure do enjoy watching them flit around. We have a lot of black capped chickadees here in SW PA where I hunt and I've had them land on my bow or arrow a bunch of times. Always makes me smile.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:29:17 PM »
I have a hard time believing they are following them. But I could see deer “flushing” them from thickets. Birds have a tendency to fly straight away from approaching danger, so it would seem like they were traveling same direction.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:33 PM »
I haven't noticed the correlation between chickadees and deer but I sure do enjoy watching them flit around. We have a lot of black capped chickadees here in SW PA where I hunt and I've had them land on my bow or arrow a bunch of times. Always makes me smile.
2X on that.  :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 08:33:30 PM »
We have feeders in all of our blinds which means they are always around.they are fun to watch especially when the young ones are with me, it gives them something to watch when there are no deer to see.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
Any time I notice any little critter getting excited it's usually because I'm there! :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 08:45:26 PM »
I think if the birds are happy the deer know things are good ahead. Having foxes around seems to do the same thing.
Just blending in with nature is a plus in your hunting strategy...although if you have a snake skinned bow across your lap in the evenings and brown thrashers are around they can ruin the last hour of a hunt. Don't ask how I know.  :laughing:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
Interesting, i wonder if the deer browse below looking for what the birds knock down maybe? I had one spot the deer absolutely moved with the local turkeys, between the deers nose/ears and the turkeys eyes I had a real hard time :banghead:  I’d see the turkeys coming and just sigh, sure enough there’d be a couple deer not far behind and almost every time the turkeys would pick me out and cluck and the whole gig was up. I used to lay awake at night thinking of ways do make them pay haha
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 11:12:16 PM »
When I hear birds or other small animals suddenly start sounding off, it often precedes the approach of an animal. Often it is a deer.
Sam

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 11:52:08 PM »
Never noticed the chickadee / deer correlation, but I'll pay close attention in the future.  I try real hard not to be the object of a squirrel, chipmunk, blue jay or other bird's excited call.  Conversely, when I do hear any of these critters calling out I pay extra close attention to determine what riled them up.  Have seen a number of deer coming from the direction of the commotion.  Seen foxes / coyotes / hawks / humans as well.

I've had a number of tweety birds land on my arrow/bow/knee and hat over the years.  Had a big fox squirrel climb the back of my tree, scratch his way around the tree until it was looking me in the eye at about 2 - 3 inches - I blinked first!  Once had a bird land quietly on the branch directly above my head in the morning darkness.  I sat still for 30 minutes until good light when I couldn't resist a look.  A large owl flew off quickly and silently.  I've also had 2 occasions where a hawk must have seen my eye blink or some other minor movement and came flying through woods at my head, extend wings and talons and flare off at the last moment when I raised my hands to protect my face.  Scared the 'spit' out of me both times!  I always loved becoming the tree, but now I'm a ground hunter and become the brush.
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 07:23:02 AM »
Not chickadees but I have related blue jay action to deer on many occasions.

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 10:55:56 AM »
I've not seen a correlation with deer and chickadees.  We have many here.  They seem to have the biggest song from the the smallest body...

I have seen flycatchers follow deer in the mature hardwoods and land on them as they walk  the mixed privet and hardwood.  I suppose they stir up mosquitos the same as I do.  Not exactly what the original poster was asking, but kinda related.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 11:53:50 AM »
Haven't noticed them where I deer hunt, but I noticed a few years ago in one of my elk hunting spots that they would flock into our position when we would set up and call for elk. Seemed like when they came in we wouldn't see elk, only thought I had was that maybe elk attracted bugs they liked to eat. We decided that if the chickadees came to our calls that there wasn't likely any real elk around close
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 12:45:26 PM »
I recall from some birdwatching stuff I've read that the number of "dees" indicates threat levels but only of certain predators.  They have to feel safe enough to make noise.  Acipiters (cooper's hawks, goshawks, etc.) can illicit a quick hush by all.  Depending on your woods, the threat may sometimes just be a rival male or a corvid getting too close to their nest.  It's a good indicator of mood but not of the specific threat.  Sit in the same spot long enough and you may learn what your particular chickadees will do for different threats.  Deer have the advantage of getting to do that 24/7/365.  I'm sure they have a working knowledge of the subject.

Birds are often the eyes and ears of the forest.  Just about all animals are mindful of their mood.  Bird brains, while small, have incredibly fast processing speeds -- likely required for their flying abilities.  They can observe, assess & react to a potential threat much faster than anything else in the woods.

Seems plausible that some deer and, by the sound of it, YOUR deer are very well-attuned to the chickadees.  In the coastal woods where I sometimes hunt, the local blacktails are attuned to the invasive european collared doves during their roosting times.  If the doves flush before dawn, I won't see a deer all day.  If I wait to hear the doves fly before leaving camp, I usually see a few.

I suspect that although hunter orange may keep us hidden from deer, the birds are keenly alert to it.  I've been the unhappy recipient of some light mobbing from juncos when wearing hunter orange that I just don't ever get when I'm not wearing it.  But that may also just be because I only wear the orange in the rifle season.  But that's just speculation.

It's fun to learn & think about these things, though.  As the old saying goes, "The ocean just gets deeper the further down you go."
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
Lots of good things to think about here.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©