3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oh Lordy now what do I do???  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh Lordy now what do I do???
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:12:16 PM »
I was out shooting in my yard a minute ago and I had the funniest thing ever happen. I was at full draw with one of my bright pink-fletched arrows, focusing on the target when a hummingbird landed on the shaft. I just stood there looking at him cross-eyed. I couldn't believe it!!! Now what do I do??? I didn't shoot, that's for sure. But when I started to laugh the jig was up. That had to be the highlight of my day! Has anyone else ever had this happen???
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Tom1983

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oh Lordy now what do I do???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »
Never happened to me. Makes for a good story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 12:35:57 AM »
Wow
That beats a golf birdie by far!!!  :clapper:

Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »
Gord,

I actually had the privilege of witnessing something very similar about 5 years ago on a Colorado elk hunt.

I was sitting on the ground in my Ghillie suit on a steep hillside overlooking the junction of two trails.  All of a sudden I heard a whir that sounded like a B52 coming in to land on me, and managed not to jump as a Rufus hummingbird came in.  It was larger that the ruby throated version I was used to seeing at home, but just as attracted to color.

I had my bow laying across my lap, with an arrow on the string and 4 in my bow quiver.  Each arrow had a bright red fluorescent nock.  I sat amazed as the hummer flew in between my bowstring and chest, delicately sampling the groove of my nocked arrow as if it were a flower.  It then hovered, moved over a couple feet, and tested each and every nock of my arrows in the quiver. 

I saw no elk that day, but had one of the more memorable hunting experiences of my life.  It was a blessing to be there, and a sight I will never forget!  Glad to hear you were able to experience something like it, as well.  Thanks for the story.

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 01:35:23 AM »
You must have been shooting a Hummingbird Longbow.

Closest I can come is a horse fly and yes I shot the arrow.Fastest horsefly I have ever seen.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:44:43 AM »
Very cool!!

Have had birds land on my arrow shaft a couple times while hunting had a chick-a-dee land on my broadhead once and couldn’t believe his toes didn’t just get lopped off love when that stuff happens.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »
Was sitting along the edge of a field when I saw a small bird headed my way from the field.  It came in and landed on my head.  Sat there a minute, then hopped down on the bowstring across my lap for a few seconds or so then finally flew on.  What a memorable evening.   :thumbsup:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
Yes and what a surprise. At camp my wife feeds them at times she has 30-50 of the little buggers.

I have walked out on the deck with my arrows in my pocket quiver and they land on my feathers. I think the bright feathers confuses them.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 09:56:27 AM »
 :thumbsup: love those close encounters with nature!  I've had birds land on a stationary knocked arrow and once a young fawn nuzzled the tip of my broadhead...  Great experiences to remember.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »
Not a Hummingbird but another tweet bird landed on my arrow once. That was cute, but not nearly as funny as the one that tried to land on my bow. The bow was slick, and he slid off the end (it was lying horizontally on my lap) like something out of a cartoon. After a tremendous flurry of wings, he finally got airborne just before hitting the ground. By the time I stopped laughing, I figured the hunting was over for that morning.
Sam

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
Yes sir, years ago wheelbow hunting with a friend and had my Kwikee clipped to my stand and a Ruby throat stuck his bill in my nocks and flew off hungry! I’ll never forget it.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »
The wife says Hummingbird tongue is a real delicacy.  Hmmmmmmmm . . .
 :help:
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 10:46:13 PM »
I had a hummingbird come after my fletching while I was wearing my back quiver. I thought it was trying to stick its beak in my ear! Really freaked me out 'til I figured out what was going on.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 01:24:58 PM »
I have a feeder right at my 20-yard mark in my back yard.  In fact, there's a hummingbird on it right now.  They haven't buzzed me or landed on my bow yet.  But they'll wait for me to go downrange for my arrows before getting on the feeder.  I, in turn, wait for them to finish before stepping back in for another round.  Maybe one of these days we'll get more acquainted.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 09:40:35 PM »
Nope but years ago I was happy as a pig in Shiff with a new shotgun that I'd just put a light gathering front sight on. Called in a turkey and when he came up over the knob a fly landed right on the barrel and eliminated the front sight. I just leveled the fly on the base of the turkey neck and pulled the trigger. Dead turkey> I knew I should have taken my bow and shot it naturally. lol
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »
Had a doe walk on my shooting lane, go figure  :laugh:

Had to wait for her to move along before keep training.
Life is short, play hard

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
Long time ago 20 plus miles offshore fishing and this little guy pays us a visit.
rested his wings a bit then took off.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »
Never had that happen, but sounds funny.
I've had chickadees land on my bowstring though and try and pull out my string silencers.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 07:45:05 AM »
I have a ruffed grouse that hangs out with me and a friend  all season, have pics of him sitting on an arrow of hunting partner while on stand. We named  him Pete he walks with us on deer drives like it was his job. Pretty cool been going on for three years now he made it through the winter we had a walk a few days ago.  This is a wild bird living on over 8 hundred acres of land.  Have pics and video but no way do I have tech knowledge to post

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
Max find a teenager, they'll have you posting pics in no time.
Would really love to see those shots.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©