3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bighorn Bows  (Read 32388 times)

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bighorn Bows
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
Todd thanks for your pics I really enjoy this...Here is my first goat with my trusty BH 1990 raffle winner , I shot a goat , 2x3 bull, 3x4 mulie, in 4 days on this hunt.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2019, 07:32:43 PM »
Scott, always good when you participate in the 'bighorn chat' with your pics and stories.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »
Thanks Schick
This brings back some great memories, I do remember it was a big deal to get on the Bighorn success board, because there were a lot of great hunters submitted pictures, it was a badge of honor, somthing I still prize today,

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2019, 10:13:43 PM »
That is a great 4 day hunting trip Scott, awesome picture too!

Okay a few more pictures from the past for all you nostalgic types.

The brochure I received from my first inquiry in 1987, yes I’ve drooled over it more than a few times over the past 30 years.

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2019, 10:29:37 PM »
Delivery status letter of my first Bighorn!

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2019, 10:33:06 PM »
Second Bighorn brochure that ordered my Grand Slam one piece from in December 1990.

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »
The Grand Slam one piece

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »
And the introduction of the Bighorn Ramhunter Longbow!

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »
I'd love to get my hands on one someday. They sound like great shooters!

I love seeing all the old pictures. Keep them coming!

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »
Here is a blast from the past, I am 71 now. The Bighorn is the only custom bow I ever ordered, somewhere around 1990, I ended up with 3 sets of limbs. I sold it because it was too easy to shoot well and I wanted to totally commit to selfbows. As long as I kept it I knew I would gravitate back to it because I was so deadly with it, it was wonderful bow. It took many years before my bow making ability advanced to the point that I was as proficient with my selfbows as I had been with with my Bighorn. 

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
Really like all the old Bighorn memories, my first Trad bow was one back in 88’ a CO T/D. Had a Ramhunter as well and have owned 2 used one pieces. I still have one of them and have been looking for another Ramhunter for a long time now. Schick has been on the look out for me for awhile now but they are hard to find.
I had my hands on a Ramhunter at KZoo but it was to stiff for me had it been lighter she would have been mine. Like many of you guys my first Trad deer was take with that CO TD way back in 89’ my first year going Trad at a young 20 years old.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online Bluefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
I bought a 1 piece recurve off another member here a few years ago and still shoot it. It's 66" and 50 @ 27, I draw it 30" and it's deadly with Easton AO 2020's and 160gr snuffers

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:53 PM »
Here’s some of my stuff, books bow,and brochures, check out the middle Ramhunter brochure.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2019, 10:22:40 PM »
When I bought that first CO Bighorn it cost me a whopping $332, and that  was for the bow, Bighorn quiver,and 2 strings.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2019, 10:25:26 PM »
I bought the Ramhunter in 92’ and paid $489

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »
That’s great Gerald.  I never saw the Ramhunter brochure before.  Very cool!

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2019, 11:05:11 PM »
Great memories from those pictures.  The original brochure was used when I was shopping for a Bighorn, though I ordered my Colorado Takedown directly from Fred when he had a booth at the WI Deer Classic.  The beauty of that one-piece recurve will always stir good memories of Bighorns.  To me, that's just a classy looking bow.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2019, 06:02:56 AM »
Gerald, you put together a nice picture; truly classic.  luv your one piece Grand Slam.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2019, 07:16:52 AM »
still would love to  find a grand slam for myself, I do have a pair of really cool special edition limbs that have the inlays in the limb veneers and they are insane looking.

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »
When I first got into traditional archery back in the late ‘80’s I was using an old used Brackenbury bow.  I wanted my own custom, built for me bow and it was hard to resist those Bighorn adds.  I ended up calling up Fred and ordering a 76 pound three piece take down.  $450 for the package of bow, take down case and Bighorn quiver made by Delta.  I remember Fred trying to talk me down in bow weight but I was in my early 20’s and “needed” that weight.  Shortly thereafter I ordered my second Bighorn and dropped down a lot in bow weight. It was 73 pounds at 28”.

Over  the years I ordered in a total of 7 Bighorn take downs. I ordered them from Fred, from King of the Mountain and from a distributer in New Jersey, Denny…  something I think was his name. I ordered my last one from Bud Boker at the P.B.S. banquet in Baltimore.  They all shot great and I killed a lot of deer, bear and turkeys with them.  My favorite, and best shooter was one of the economy models of the Colorado Bighorn.

Back then the wait was about 12 months or so.  I ordered in a Custom Bighorn with Osage riser with red accent stripes and Osage laminations under clear glass on the limbs.  I impatiently waited for the bow arrival, calling every other week or so. Finally the big day arrived and I opened the box… to the biggest disappointment!  This bow was hideous.  They had built it exactly as I have ordered but it was beyond ugly.  The Osage in the riser and limbs was bright, day glow yellow and the red accents just made it look tacky.  I set the bow up and shot maybe 50 arrows off it.  After that it rode behind the seat of my truck for 3-4 years in its case as a back up.  I like to have never sold that bow.

I still have some of the old Bighorn catalogs and I think one of the old brown T-shirts.   I have a bunch of dead critter photos but they are all 35 mm and I’ll have to scan them in some time so I can post them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©