3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bighorn Bows  (Read 32385 times)

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bighorn Bows
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2019, 01:01:17 PM »
Keith, I tend to prefer the looks of the "curved-bed" Bighorns that your bow is a beauty! I have a friend that has a takedown from the late eighties that's just a dust collector now. He hasn't shot it in many years but unfortunately I can't talk him out of it. He just likes the way it looks hanging on his wall.

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
On Page 4 Trap posted a picture of a two-tone beauty that just happened to spend the past week on the big auction site.  Guess what is coming my way soon!   :)

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2019, 07:10:11 PM »
todd... nice bow, and wow thats some of the first blonde maple, Reggie had one of the first blonde maple I think he went on to kill a giant stone with it.

dont remember what year that was maybe 84 but reggie and Lee Veldhouse went to BC they both killed monster rams, but I remember shooting with reg at the jamboree just 10 days befor he left,, there was no out shooting him he was dialed in,
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2019, 03:33:58 AM »
anybody else running a bighorn this season? im shooting a flat limb model 62" 60@29 about 63# at my draw and some 300 fmj with a 200 grn magnus. I havnt dropped the string on anything yet this year but I will.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2019, 09:14:06 PM »
Ive been hunting with a couple Grand Slam takedowns and a Grand Slam 1pc.  And a couple Silvertips and a Wild Horse Creek.  Decisions Decisions

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2019, 05:23:41 AM »
Keith if it would make things easier for ya I could buy one of your grand slams to make the decision of what to hunt with simplified, just to help out.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »
Thanks for the offer DWT, but I think Ill keep them for now:^)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »
What a great thread. Wish Fred himself would chime in. Wonder if he has seen these comments. Betcha it would bring back some great memories.  :campfire:

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2019, 07:10:10 PM »
Randy, I noticed in the first picture you posted of the Grey Squirrels. Did the Snuffers prove to be reliable on squirrels? :goldtooth:
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »
We have a new group fan page on Facebook for Bighorn Bowhunting Company Fansand Collectors

Come check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/886358638199281/?ref=share

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: December 26, 2019, 03:23:19 AM »
Todd, good to know.  Thanks for the info.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: December 26, 2019, 06:44:41 AM »
I just noticed that there are several Bighorn bows on RMS Gears website,,,got me thinking
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: December 26, 2019, 09:40:05 PM »
I don’t know if my memory is failing me or not, but I thought that if Bighorn’s were labeled “Grand Slam”, that they were all, one piece bows? I didn’t think a takedown could be a Grand Slam?

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
I just found this picture in an old box of pictures in a closet I was cleaning out. This may be my first Bighorn deer circa 1990 or so.

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »
My 2020 Wyoming Moose taken with my Bighorn Ramhunter Longbow.

Offline Kittatinny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2020, 07:25:16 AM »
Many years ago, I bought a real nice used Custom Bighorn recurve. It was very fine shooting bow.  I'm getting back into traditional archery again after an absence of nearly 15 years. Sadly, I no longe have any of the fine bows that I once owned.

I remember attending the Eastern Sports and Outdoor show in Harrisburg, Pa. many years ago. I think it was around 1990.
Big Horn Bows had a stand there, so naturally I stopped.  I was lookin at the bows they had on display and a man with an eye patch came over. He later mentioned that he lost his eye by using the step through method to string a bow. Apparently they were running late setting up for the show and he was stringing up a longbow without a stringer. His grip slipped and the bow tip went into his eye.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:55:04 AM by Kittatinny »
What avail are 40 freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2020, 08:30:58 AM »
Todd, good job, and great picture.   Steve, I remember the incident; I believe the fellows name was Szechs or something like that.  Appeared in some Bighorn/King of the Mountain ads.
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2020, 09:31:02 AM »
Congrats Todd :shaka:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
Todd, way to go.  I would be pleased if you discussed your hunt a bit.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
Hi Steven, here is a short recap of my moose hunt.

My 2020 Wyoming Moose Hunt turned out just perfect.  The season runs from September 1st through October 31st.  I couldn't decide when to schedule my time off to go hunt and debated options all summer.  Obviously September was the focus during the archery only season, but early or later when the rut starts?  On my August scouting trip I found a number of good bulls, including one I named "kickstand" because of a droptine.  This bull was of B&C size, but was taken on opening day as I understand it. 

I stuck with my original plan heading north on Monday, Labor Day.  The weather called for a significant winter storm coming in Monday night through Wednesday across the Rocky Mountain west.  I thought the weather system may be just perfect for getting the moose up and visible through the day.  By 9:00 pm on  Monday, it was still in the 70's and clear - where is the storm anyway?

Tuesday morning was another story with over 10" of snow on the ground with more falling throughout the morning.  Fortunately, as I hoped the weather had the moose up and moving.  We found 6 bulls and another 8 cows & calves in the first few hours, including a couple of really nice bulls that I would be happy to tag.

I had to put on hip waders to deal with the multiple stream crossing as I made my way through the willow bottom that held the moose.

The snow made for silent movement and I was able to sneak up on a group of three bedded bulls that morning, but couldn't get closer than about 100 yards.  Hours later, the wind finally gave away my position and they moved away.  I continued to dog the group, zigging and zagging through the willows, crossing the creek and trying to keep the wind in my face.

Finally I was able to get close to two of the three bulls that had made the acquaintance of a cow with calf.  Moving within 25 yards of the group, I waited for the large bull to give me an opening.  Moments later the cow and calf came in the opening with me, walking directly at me - at 7 yards they turned and maneuvered through an opening in the willows.  Next came a bull still in velvet, grunting I was glad to watch him follow the girls.

That left just me and the big bull alone, one on one.  He reversed directions and came around the backside of the willows.  Turning as his head was screened, I was ready when he entered the opening 15 yards away.  The Bighorn Ramhunter longbow buried the Zwickey Delta tipped douglas fir arrow into the bull's side.  50 yards later he was down.

The hunt went by quickly, but I'm sure the weather conditions played a favorable part in the early success.  The King of the Mountain wool kept me warm and enabled me to have a silent approach.

The bull has a 47" spread.  I haven't scored him yet and won't as I never tape my own animals, but will wait the 60 days and take him to a measurer.

It took Jim and I until midnight before we had the bull in the back of my truck.  R&B Meats in Green River processed the bull in two days for me and the meat is delicious!  Randy at R&B reported this is the largest bodied bull they have had in the shop in 6 to 10 years.  He was a brute for sure - 4" taller than the other bull in the group that may have scored better, but was certainly younger.

It took me 21 years to draw the tag.  Two 4 day scouting trips and a 1 day hunt cumulated in this wonderful trophy.  I'm truly blessed!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©