3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bighorn Bows  (Read 32391 times)

Macatawa

Re: Bighorn Bows
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2019, 09:36:01 AM »
My first Bighorn recurve "witchy" (1986) was a used original 62" and around 50# at my draw.  She was not a speed demon but I could hit anything with her.   "magic"   :archer:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
Hey Scott the Scott Jorge I knew must have been another guy he was almost the double size of you, lol.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »
The best part about Bighorn Bowhunting Company back in the day , Fred was a living legend, almost bigger then life, I say almost because he is a very down to earth man, when he lived in Co we lived just a few miles apart, so I spent more then my fair share of time with Fred, what a great mentor, for shooting , hunting, life.

The latch bow I mentioned earlier can be seen in Freds book Stalking and Still hunting the ground hunters bible, the bow is laying on top of that huge NT bull elk, as far as I know thats the only one made. pretty sure it was over 75# draw weight.
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »
Here is my 86 custom, Prudhoe Bay AK. Found its way to this caribous heart

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
Fred and Tereasa live about 15 miles from me,anybody else have some game pics with their bighorn

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2019, 09:03:42 PM »
I have a 86 take down 56" 60# @27 that Is a great shooting bow.  Used it on a lot of hunts and made some great memories.  Sent it to Fred when he still had Bighorn and had it refinished. Still have it and a long handle with a curved bed. Also have two flatbed models , great bows but the last 25 years I have hunted with longbows.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2019, 04:30:40 AM »
picked up a flat limb model from around 1990 or so, 62" 60@29 around 65lbs at my draw. what a great shooting bow, in like new condition. Im thinking of building off this design with some limbs that narrow at the tip faster, these carry 1-3/4 almost all the way to the tip. The tips themselves are definately built super strong definately bombproof. The riser is a perfect design and the grip fits my blocky hand better than most bows. 

Offline levi80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2019, 05:55:37 PM »
I have 3 Asbell Bighorns. One was order by my dad in 1990. I got lucky and just found a 50# Asbell Grandslam Recurve. I haven’t seen too many that were under 55#. I do have one of the last Bighorns made from the last person who owned Bighorn but it’s a completely different bow compared to the Asbell Bighorn.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2019, 06:07:14 PM »
I saw that one for sale, just couldn't convince myself that I needed another bow. 

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2019, 01:38:48 PM »
Congrats, Levi.  You beat me to that one.  I was out turkey hunting and didn't see the ad until you had already contacted the seller.

Offline levi80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
Yeah I was surprised. The lighter Bighorns don’t last too long. Been looking a awhile for one. I have a few Bighorns and I had a 50# takedown years ago and wish I kept it.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2019, 12:57:55 PM »
Found this Bighorn at Kalamazoo this Spring.  Was told it is an 83 model.  I had no intentions of buying a Bighorn when I headed to Michigan but 60” 48#@28” was too hard to pass up.  It’s just like every Bighorn I’ve owned. Stable, smooth, not a speed demon, quiet and easy to shoot well.  No nonsense hunting bows with the most durable finish I’ve ever seen.  And Fred was there so it now sports a Hall of Famer’s signature. Thanks Fred.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »
Nice looking bow

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »
wow what a score, looks to be in good condition, is that a FF string? 

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
Thanks, Not sure, the string is in the trash and has been replaced with a brown and yellow B-50. 

"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2019, 07:22:02 PM »
all right trap, back in the day, FF was a no no,

that is a fine looking bow I remember Fred showing me some of that blonde maple,

if you ever consider selling let me know!

Offline taxidermy man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »
The best part about Bighorn Bowhunting Company back in the day , Fred was a living legend, almost bigger then life, I say almost because he is a very down to earth man, when he lived in Co we lived just a few miles apart, so I spent more then my fair share of time with Fred, what a great mentor, for shooting , hunting, life.

The latch bow I mentioned earlier can be seen in Freds book Stalking and Still hunting the ground hunters bible, the bow is laying on top of that huge NT bull elk, as far as I know thats the only one made. pretty sure it was over 75# draw weight.
HH, I know what bow your talking about with the latching system similar to Bears, There was at least two made, My family got several bighorn bows many years ago, they were in Kiko Tovar's collection in Iowa, when Kiko died my dad and Lamont Granger (who owned "The Footed Shaft" at the time, RIP)  bought all of his bows, we got the Bighorn's and Lamont got the rest, several were Denny Behn's personal bows, one was one of these prototype take downs, Denny was a lefty (dang it!)I ended up trading the prototype take down back to denny for a pair his 52" limbs with clear  glass. This all took place in the late 90's I believe. Thanks for your insight Scott, Iv'e been a Bighorn fan since the beginning and your recollection of events over the years I believe is very accurate!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
Taxidermy Man,do you mind posting pics of your Bighorns,if this noy a problem.
Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline taxidermy man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2019, 06:14:34 PM »
I will try to post pics. but I only have two of the bows from the pile in my hands, one is a 54" one piece that Denny used in Africa and the other is a early take down that has Otis"Toad" Smith's name on it, my dad still has a 64" one piece that was Toad's bow and a 52" take down, my brother has a 54" one piece and probably a one of a kind 48" one piece that Denny built for Kiko Tovar. There were several early prototype bows that we sold to a collector friend in Indiana.

Offline taxidermy man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2019, 07:45:36 PM »
The first picture is the two that I talked about the second picture is some other bighorns that I own.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©