3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler 4dr - Trad guy truck??  (Read 727 times)

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
Jeep Wrangler 4dr - Trad guy truck??
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I'm looking for a new vehicle to haul my sorry butt around to the various trad places that I go.  :eek:   Even tho not many, I'm looking for something better than my 9mpg Dodge 1500. Also planning to tote either a small boat or pop-up camper.   :thumbsup:
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jeep Wrangler 4dr - Trad guy truck??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
ask ron leclair he has one and it is one nice vehicle if you ask me
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
That's right! I forgot about Ron getting one....
Thanks Rob!
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Toyota tucoma 4 cyl. 4 spd. 4x4
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Check out consumer reports, then buy a Tacoma.

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
I think I would have to agree with bloodyarrow and Orion on the Tacoma -- 4 cyl 4x4.  I am not knocking Jeeps, I just believe Jeeps have more cons than pros.    

My son, now serving in Korea, left his Jeep with me until he returns.  I know you are talking about the newer wrangler.  He has a Rubicon model, and although he has put alot into it, it is a gas guzzler.  It can tow a house, but you also pay for it two-fold with poor gas mileage.  It is small, and you run out of storage room quickly.

It is a very good off-road vehicle, and it is a "looker", but with alot of disadvantages.  Just my 2 cents.  So I'd do some more homework before buying.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
I've found my love in a 4x4.  Big and Ugly and tows Hummer and Jeeps out of the back country quite nicely!

1961 Unimog Radio Truck  Since this photo was taken I've added 1600 by 20 tires (52 inch tall) and a 20,000# Tulsa PTO winch up front and a 15,000# Tulsa PTO in the rear.

Turret Trap door above the front passenger seat is just too cool!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
Nice real nice,the price of gas don't matter when you're rollin down the trail in that my friend,ya got a nice ride there,I have a 2002 Wrangler,I know short on space for gear but it makes up for it FUN!They are work horses, almost 150,000 miles on mine now and I still like it and I drive it like I stole it.

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »
I love my Jeep Wrangler, but in reality it (and the newer ones, but not as much) are gas guzzlers...  maybe not as low as 9MPG but not as good as smaller pickups.  I had a Toy 4X4 pickup and it was like a mule, went everywhere I wanted it too, even if I should have not.  Flooded it once in about 4 feet of water... keep going and never had a problem.

Jeeps are great fun, but really unreasonable vehicles.  Very little storage (not sure about the new 4 doors but doubt there is the space of a small truck).  Jeep aerodynamics are like pushing a sheet pf plywood down the highway... not efficient.  If I was not a glutton Jeep lover, I would have another Toyota 4x4 truck... great,great trucks... I really miss my trucks bed. Hard to haul wood, dirt, tools, tree stands, or anything really in a Jeep

HTH

John

BTW Nice rigs.... love the Unimog!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »
Edited out all my non-topic stuff:

I'll keep my ole''90 Jeep Wagoneer.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
I drive a power stroke my brother has a jeep i used his jeep one day thinking i could save on fuel but i should have drove my stroke i would haved saved money. That is wy i was looking at the yoyo's.
But i'll rethink that now good info to know Woodduck
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 02:45:00 AM »
I'm in the market for a new rig to replace my Dakota QuadCab,,, was actually going to the dealers to look at a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon,,, I'll let you know what I think after I check it out.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 05:15:00 AM »
I love my Wrangler Unlimited. I got it last summer so it's been to deer camp. Mine has the trailer package, 5,000lb capacity, I pulled my 13' V-nose trailer loaded with all the gear for two men, stands, quad and such and it pulled it just fine. I'm thinking about getting a smaller travel trailer so I won't have to haul my 30' trailer with my diesel     :scared:      :eek:

Last month we drove it to Tennessee because the gas was cheaper than diesel fuel, it rides very comfortable and has cruise and satelite radio. Jeeps are more than just off road vehicles nowadays.      

My Jeep is a 6 speed V6, it gets 18/19 hwy, 17 town.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
Hey Woodduck,

What kind of gas mileage do you get on that 90's Jeep Wagoneer?   I have always loved how they look but with monthly gas prices approaching a car payment I have to ask about fuel efficiency.

Brian
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
I would not base much on who gave who what($$$$) Every large corporation in America doles out millions every year to groups like that. It's all PR, nothing more. It's called "covering your bases".
 I'm looking at a different ride too. Consumer reports is a good guide and some stuff in there might surprise you. The Jeeps do not test well overall.Neither do the small GM trucks. I've been driving a non 4x4 for a while and want to go back to 4x4. My last was a Toyota 4x4 with 4 cyl and std tranny. Great mileage and would do whatever I asked it to do. What will likely happen though is the Mrs. will get a new , smaller hi mpg ride, and I'll inherite her Expedition. She drives more than I do per week and I will at last be back in a 4x4.
 On the Jeeps with canvas tops-- I sell and install them as part of the trim shop business.The tops last about 6-7 yrs if taken care of. Zippers go bad, they shrink to the point you can barely use them. Lots of issues. New one is gonna cost about $700, so factor that in the cost. I done one just yesterday, 6 yrs old and the zippers were all screwed up and would not work. Just a thought.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Colonel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
My 2006 Wrangler Rubicon looks a lot like Larry's son's jeep. I also have a 2007 Commander, and have owned Jeeps for almost 30 years now, including Cherokees. I bought the 06 Wrangler when the 07s were announced with a V6 minivan engine. The 4.0 liter straight 6 is bulletproof, and the V6 unproven.

My son just bought an 04 Wrangler unlimited, and loves it. It holds his family of 4, plus a large Lab.

All of the disadvantages outlined here are true. Mileage is poor for its size, and the tank is relatively small, but for all its disadvantages, owning a Jeep is a choice a lot like choosing traditional equipment over modern compound bows. The Jeep has a history and tradition that no toyota will ever have.

Gerry

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
I bought a small truck once! Owned for about two months and traded it on a full size truck. What you make up for in gas you lose in room and comfort.

Dale you'll miss your pickup!

Chuck
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
I had an 05' 4 cyl. wrangler and got 22 to 24.  It was week as water and the soft top leaked from the day I got it.  I had a 99' 4.0 hard top that I loved and averaged 18 miles to the gallon.  Get the hard top!  I also had a 2001 tacaoma 4 cyl.  got 20 miles to the gallon with oversized tires and it towed my pop-up fine.  I even toted a pallet of commercial tile, about 1600 pounds, 50 miles with no prob.  In short if you buy a small truck get a toyota.  If you buy a jeep get a 6 cyl. hard top.  Both of them do what you need in the woods.  They are gonna get the same gas miledge in my expieriance.  If you have a jeep you need a rack for dead animals unless you wanna smell em all the way home,  The truck is more versitile.  Imho I would get a 4 door short bed taco with the TRD package for the locking rear diff.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Hey Dale, I have an 07 4-door wrangler. Looks just like Ron's.
I was getting 20 mpg with the stock mickey mouse tires, when I put 33's on it milage dropped to 17.5mpg. V6 and 6 speed, tow pack. with 4.10 gears.
By the way it hauls my 62in bow easily in the back seat or in the rear cargo area.
I love it for that. I can put all my stuff: trees stand , bow etc. and still take someone with me. Put a hitch hauler on it for deer and trash runs. I usaully put the hardtop on during deer season so I can leave my gear in it all season, more secure that way.
Please head this advice:o7 has a lotta bugs, get an 08. Get skid plate for oil pan, it is very very exposed. Did I mention the skid plate is exposed?
Hope this helped ya.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Oh, I forgot. If you forget the hitch hauler, you can put a deer in the back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©