3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler 4dr - Trad guy truck??  (Read 726 times)

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jeep Wrangler 4dr - Trad guy truck??
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
jeeps are cool,chicks love jeeps  :)  Not very practical for a commuter vehicle,not a lot of room for stuff in the 2 door versions.I just don't like the fact that dodge is making them now.All the dodges I've had have been unreliable.The newer 4 door versions look like they have more room and the new modular top system is an improvement.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
I  edited all non topic stuff:

Got 145,000 on my jeep     :bigsmyl:

I put a Hitch-Haul that's made in Georgia by a good ole boy, so my Evangelist Baptist neighbor from GA told me.
I like to keep my jeep as low as I can and it's easier for an oldefarte like me to snatch and pull a deer on the back. So I didn't put a lift kit on; just bigger tires.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
2002 Tacoma 4x4, 6 cyl, double cab.  21 mpg hwy.  97,000 miles on it.  Replaced one light bulb and a set of tires.  Expect it to last another 100K easily with few problems.  Hard to argue with that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
Love my Jeep - '67 CJ5.  Not an every day rig though.    :D  

"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
I just sold my toyota xcab 4x4 to a buddy, after buying it new and driving/hunting it for 19 years. It is still in great shape and he'll use it on his place until he's tired of seeing it, just like me.

I got a 2000 tacoma 4x4 xcab now, more powerful v6, locking rear end, auto trans, I'm not gonna know what to do with all that.

In other parts of the world where they dont fool with stupid stuff like EPA restrictions they have a truck called the Hilux, made by toyota. Heavy suspension, diesel engine, four door, 4x4. This machine will literally go anywhere you have the balls to drive it. I have some experience with these in Afghanistan, and they are awesome. I just wish we could get them here.

Make mine a toyt.

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
I'm with you woodduck..

Offline PHANTOM_84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Go check out the taco's. I have a 2000 Tacoma, 4 cyl, 4x4, auto, regular cab with 180,000 miles on it and it still going strong. The only major problem ive had is with the exhaust manifold they cracking in the center, so I fixed that problem by puting a pace setter header on it. I get 24 mpg highway with a volant cold air intake, header, no catalytic converter, flow master muffler and 31-10.50x15 tires. I got about 26 mpg before I did all that stuff, but at least it sounds cool.

GO TACO'S !!!!!!

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
Maybe I'm confused (again)...    :)     I thought this thread was about recommending a quality hunting truck...  Now it seems to be drifting into politics.     :rolleyes:  

I smell a lockdown...    :readit:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Back to the jeep...FOCUS.

OK I own one in a silver color like Ron's. Bought a soft and hard top for it. So far it has withstood a 70mph crash and lived to tell about it. It has survived an elk hunt in Colorado and drove comfortably the 22 hours from the Ill flatlands. It has survived my two kids thus far aside from gummy worm stains and spilled chocolate milk (ages 4 and 6).

Gas mileage is as stated above. I pull a pop-up with no problems and I modified a hitch haul so that when I open the back swing gate I have room. I traded a 2500 Chevy Diesel truck for it and have never looked back. For bowhunting it rocks! Plenty of room for gear and I use the hitch haul to haul out critters...so far used it three times and those dead deer arrived just as secure to my shop than if they were in a pickemup.
Mike Davenport

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
WOW I came home to a pile of posts!! THANK You all!!

I'm kinda "pickup-ed out". Maybe because the Ram 1500 can seat 6. My kids grew up in this truck.

I could stuff most everything I wanted in there too. It's been quite loyal and frankly a good truck. My 2 older kids are now starting to drive. Soon I wont need the big truck anymore.

If any truck is worth anything- a trad guy most likely owns it. Hence my thread. For instance I'm sure if Ron has one and likes his, most likely it's a good dependable vehicle. If the secretary at work that has never been in the woods has one and loves it- it doesnt mean as much to me.

When I took one for a ride, my main worry was the reliability of the V6. You cant tell in 15 minutes. I dont plan on a Rubicon, but the Sahara with the 6 spd manual is what I'm looking for.  Both tops are also mandatory for me.

FWIW- the other vehicle I am considering is a Toyota but not the pickup truck. I also like the FJ Cruiser. But it's a bit more expensive than the Jeep, but I do know the quality of Toyota trucks.

Again Thanks for the responses!
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
My wife drives an 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder and she loves it. Has 103,000 miles with no problems whatever. She gets about 20 mpg in town and 24 mpg on the highway.

I drive a 98 Toyota Tacoma ext cab 4X4, 4 cylinder, auto. it has 185,000 miles and no problems. I get 20 to 22 mpg in town and on the highway and that is with 32 x 11.50 mud tires. So it seems that most of the recommendations are pretty good ones hope you can find what you are looking for.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
I have an 05 Rubicon. It's a hunting rig and a toy. The Rubicon comes with a 586 rear end this equals bad gas mileage!!!! Mine see's maybe 8000 miles a yr so not an issue. I have a bunch of Wranglers that I use for fleet vehicles they are bomb proof. Repairs costs have been 1/2 what they used to be prior to the wranglers. Don't but the Rubicon option if you are going to drive this thing everyday. Otherwise the jeep is hard to beat for an american made truck. No question the Toyotas are a supreme mobile by far. But a loaded wrangler is much cheaper than a loaded Tacoma.
hunt it

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I've driven a buddy's FJ Cruiser.  The ride and handling was superb, which was quite surprising for a truck-like rig.  Visibility out the back corners was poor, though, and I hate blind spots.  It's also more fond of gas than my 6 cylinder Tacoma, but I'm sure it would be as rugged and dependable as any other Toyota.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
Knife River- the 1st thing I thought of was the poor visibility on the back of the Cruiser. I too HATE blind spots!
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Did somebody say deer hauler?

Did somebody say trailer hauler? Here it is hooked to my utility trailer. The Jeep hauled it 1,000 miles round trip, loaded to the gills on the way home with gear and deer. It has the rag top in this picture but I like the hard top best.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Woodduck, no where in my reply do I even mention the word "Care" much less infer it. My point was that all large corporations give money to groups like the ones you mention and I know in two of those cases so does Daimler/Chrysler (the makers of your Jeep) Anything beyond that is simply your mind working overtime.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
I guess I'm kinda partial to the jeep product.  I have a 2000 TJ with an off-road package sporting a 9000i Warn winch, a 2001 XJ and a 2007 KJ.  The first two I use mostly for hunting and off-road activities and around town while the KJ is used more for trips, etc. although I may use it for hunting.  All have skid plates and tow hooks [there are more skid plates under the Liberty than the others].  I have also owned three other Cherokees, a Grand Wagoneer and two CJ's.  Nothing like the feel of traction and power you get with a jeep in four-wheel low range.  I've been on Jeep Jamborees and in some pretty tough places extracating my vehicle, and that's where the jeep product is at its best.  I'll concede to some degree the milage issue, but when I'm off road I want to be certain that I'm going to make it back home.
Tox Collector
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
I might also mention that my two children grew up with jeeps.  My daughter owns a Liberty and my son drives a Grand Cherokee.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
Edited, by me, to be topic related, only:

I'll let you talk 'trad bowhunting only' in your 'new vehicles' of choice...

I am still loving my jeep.
For a new one, I'd get the one Ron got or at least one with longest wheelbase.

'Preciate that comment about my mind, working overtime, though, cool.        :cool:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
I got my first Jeep back in the early 70's. I had a neat little 4cly Jeep Scrambler in the early 80's..remember those?

My Son is on his 2nd Jeep and his son, my grandson, has one also...so I guess you could call us a Jeep family.      :goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©