3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longer draws  (Read 1733 times)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Longer draws
« on: April 09, 2019, 09:54:09 PM »
Fellows, I don’t have this issue but my buddy is tall wing draw. He shoots 31” w a compound. He’s looking to get a styk but I really can’t say which bows to look at for that long draw.
Either factory or custom it doesn’t matter if he can pick one up second hand reasonably.
I just don’t wish to give him bad information. Guys w long draws if you can speak up please
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longer draws
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »
A 27" ilf riser with long or extra long limbs?

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »
I draw 32” and feel his pain. I’m having a custom bow made, but am currently shooting a Rich Emery Stik, 64”, 50@32 and it does great. With my new bow coming very soon, I might even be talked out of it for a cheap price.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:54:42 AM »
Bowyers who cater for long draws are Jim neaves of centaur archery and Toelke bows (Dan). I would stay clear of ilf ...
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
3 rivers has a 21” riser on sale for 324.99 add that with long limbs for a 66” bow and it would make a great all around rig for him
I love Bow Hunting

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 03:30:14 AM »
Thanks guys
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 05:38:43 AM »
I wonder if his draw may shorten some with a stick bow?  He might not need as long as he used to? If he could draw one of yours and you could measure.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »
His draw likely will shorten by an inch or more switching to a traditional bow.  Regardless, just want to stay with a longer bow -- 62-64 inches or longer in a recurve, probably 64 inches or so in a hybrid and 70 inches in an ASL.  Nothing at all wrong with an ILF set up, and pretty easy to work up a 66-70-inch recurve using ILF components.

Of course, he can go with a shorter bow (some folks with long draw lengths do) but finger pinch and stack will be greater. 

Also a good idea to not go too heavy to start.  I'd recommend something in the 40-45# range at his draw length.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:40 AM »
His draw likely will shorten by an inch or more switching to a traditional bow.  Regardless, just want to stay with a longer bow -- 62-64 inches or longer in a recurve, probably 64 inches or so in a hybrid and 70 inches in an ASL.  Nothing at all wrong with an ILF set up, and pretty easy to work up a 66-70-inch recurve using ILF components.

Of course, he can go with a shorter bow (some folks with long draw lengths do) but finger pinch and stack will be greater. 

Also a good idea to not go too heavy to start.  I'd recommend something in the 40-45# range at his draw length.

Got all the stacking stuff and finger pinch relayed to him already. He understands. I’m gonna pass on the ilf thing to him. That I’ll be honest is not my thing so I know nothing about it
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
I draw 30.5 and shoot bows from 60-64". No problem. Your friend will likely shorten his draw by at least an inch making the switch.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 10:49:42 AM »
I draw 30.5 and my 60" Galaxy Ember longbow works just fine.  I have customs that don't perform any better and actually the Galaxy grip is the best I ever had.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 06:55:21 PM »
A 66" Black Widow longbow would work fine.  I draw 31" with mine, my brother draws 32.5" with his.  We both shoot 64" BW PMA recurves too, at those draw lengths, for many years.  He also has a 66" Toelke Lynx takedown that a draws nice and smooth beyond my draw.  I shot a 64" Cari-bow Silver Fox 3 piece that was smooth past my draw as well.  I'm sure there are a lot of others out there.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 07:59:47 PM »
Many moons ago, when I shot a compound I did it with fingers and a 30+ draw. Going to back basics with a stick bow after getting my form down I draw just over 29" . A 19" or 21" ILF riser with a set of long limbs and your friend will be good to go. There is a plus there......get lighter limbs to start and work on form.......then go heavier if need be. Just my opinion......... :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 08:25:13 PM »
I draw 30+ and 64" works ok for me. There are plenty of inexpensive options available

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
I guess I am a little "slow".  At 6'1" I've been described as a "long-legged wide-receiver type" yet I've been shooting short bows for decades.  The Bear Magnum 48 was the shortest.  I'm shooting 56" bows with 31" arrows and I have no issues.  Right now I am shooting a Fox Archery High Sierra 64# at 30" and a Bear Kodiak Takedown 60# at 28".  I can hit what I shoot at out to 25 yards confidently.  I don't understand why everyone recommends such long bows.  Short bows are a whole lot handier if you are hunting from a tree-stand or brush blind, in my opinion.  Like I said, I guess I am a little slow.

Best Regards,

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »
A very long time ago I tried a compound for a bit - I shot a simple 48" almost round wheel compound with fingers.
I have arms like an ape so with a high wrist grip and a mostly sideways stance my draw length was more than 33".

Going back to a recurve with a more open stance and a slightly lower wrist grip it was 31" and than going back to my longbows with a completely low wrist grip and a thinner riser/handle, my draw length was a maximum of 30", and even slightly less today depending on the longbow model.

I realize though that not everyone will have such an extreme difference, since:
1) the shorter your draw length, the less the difference will be
2) you may have less of a difference in your shooting style with those different types of bows than I did/do
3) decades have passed since I've shot anything but longbows and it's been my experience that our draw length shortens through the years

May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©