3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cheap way to add weight to carbons  (Read 3221 times)

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap way to add weight to carbons
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
The ones at 3 rivers were $12/doz. That's not too bad either, but $4 would be 3 times better.
John
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Grimesville Assassin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
I have been using 1/8" Wooden Dowels on my Axis Shafts, and the Glue Up,is nice and Tight inside the Carbon Shaft, with no Weight Shifting.
Traditional Archery is only an Addiction, If your trying to quit.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
soon at your local archery shop will be outsert/inserts that fit in existing insert and allow you to put your point in them  Weigh 25 grains each for those looking for an easy, albiet lighter solution to the weight problem. Does add a half inch
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
I have not tryed it yet,Dr Ashby shared it will me last week. Polyester pillow filling, he said it was kind of a pain pushing it in the shafts. But you could gain another 100 grs of weight doing it with carbons. And arrows are never to heavy for him!  :bigsmyl:
The one thing is I don't think it will be a problem with it moving around in the shaft like other materials. And should not affect the spine of the arrow. Sounded like a good cheap alturnative to weight tubes. I use Gold Tips brass weights behind the inserts to tune my shafts. But was also looking for a way to increase arrow weight without affecting spine.

Brent

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Guys,
I have often wondered if that expandable spray foam stuff would work? Squirt it in and let it do its thing.
Nick
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
After stuffing everything into carbons to get them heavy enough I finally came to a simple solution that works great for me.I dropped bow weight enough so now the carbons are just right with a big broadhead on them.  :)  More than one way to skin a cat.  :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
It will just be a little (hard) to control weight. Love those plays with words. I hate that creapy stuff. It goes everywhere but most often not where its suppose to. But worth a try, let me know how it works. I'd like to know a average of what it weights. Naturally with out plugging up My Shafts.  :bigsmyl:  

Brent

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
I love this site. What a clever bunch of guys. I will add one. Tell me what you think. The material is heavy and quiet. use a caulk gun and a tube of silicone caulk. Cut the tip small and keep filling until it won't take any more. It is very flexible and will never get loose. Push a small rod in from the nock end to push out the caulk that might interfere with installing the nock and clean the inside of the shaft with acetone or another solvent.
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Put me in too RGK this is the greatest site ever. The ideas like yours are great, I'm gonna stick you in the clever catagory.

Brent

Offline NCRecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
I use the longer inserts in my Beman ICS Hunter shafts.  I drill out the hole in the back to the correct size and then run a tap in from the front to thread the whole insert.  I cut some 8/32 rod in the length I need to get the amount of weight I want to add.  Then I put a field point in the insert and screw the rod in from the back until in contacts the field point.  I mark the threaded rod with a Sharpie where it contacts the insert.  Take the threaded rod out, add some loctite and screw the threaded rod back into the insert.  I screw it up till there is about 1-2 turns left before the mark I made is at the insert.  This insures there is room for your field points or broadheads to screw in the insert.  Stand the insert on it's end, make sure the threaded rod is straight up and let it dry overnight and then put the insert in the shaft.  I checked my broadhead shafts against the field point shafts and the field points are longer, so I use them to make sure I've left enough room for either to screw into the insert.  8/32 rod in 3 foot length is cheap and will do a bunch of arrows.  I use a glue gun to put my inserts into my shafts.  I can reheat the insert with the glue gun and pull it out if needed.  So far I haven't pulled a single insert out using glue instead of epoxy.  While the insert glue held I have pulled 4 snuffer broadheads off their adapters in my McKenzie target. I forgot to add I use a die to clean up the threads on one end of the threaded rod after I cut it to length.  One of the best things I ever bought for archery was an RCBS 10-10 scale off ebay, it opened up world of options when building arrows.  Yes, I know I'm sick but I like to tinker with my archery stuff.

Doug

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
Wow!
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."

Offline doublewhopper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
I used 9 guage platic coated fencing wire and it took my arrow weight to over 1000 grains!  and flew at 130 feet per second....ouch

Offline NCRecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
By the way Balding Eagle,
I just noticed your question farther up about Carbon Express.  I use those exact same inserts and the same procedure in my Carbon Express 45-60s, the inserts fit perfect.

Doug

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
NCRecurve,
Thanks.

I finally tried some clothes line and went from 1 oz. to 1.3 oz. - about 100 grain increase.(Don't have a grain scale, yet.  I found 50 feet of braided, nylon clothes line for about $4 at Ace Hardware.  Shoved it down in there and it worked pretty well. Only shot the arrows a few times so far, but the nocks haven't moved.  I noticed that the bow is quieter with these heavier arrows. (Shoudl be about 570grains.)

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
I tried nylon rope in my easton epics, but what i found was that they were hitting and slamming the cord into the insert.  After 5 shots you could feel the cord moving around, so I pulled it out.  It had crumbled up to the front, it went from being almost the shaft length to half it's original size.  I even tried to wrap duct tape around it, made it to length, but that too came up with flaws.  Seems real cold weather and duct tape don't mix to well, the tape seemed to stiffen up causing the cord to do the same thing, of course this took about 7-8 shots before it happened.  Think I'll just get the brass inserts.

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
What we use over here is that Rubber Tubing that you use to hold the Flyscreen mesh in your Screen Door or windows .That packs the weight on .
  Another thing is ,6mm Air Hose ,, hard plastic type stuff like on Air Shocks , Air compressor etc .

At the moment , I have some 6mm threaded brass rod hot melted in just behind the insert . Equals 70 grain per inch    ;)  I have 3 inches in there    :thumbsup:

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I fill mine with 150 grains of blackpowder behind a shotgun primer glued in.  Seems to give the most bang for the buck.

Penetration is odd sometimes....arrows and shrapnel come flying back at you.

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Swanny,ya just ain't right,LOL!
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
I have found that cord and stuff like that make the arrow wobble the heaviest arrows I have found are the Beman and easton skinny carbons, I can get an arrow around 550gr to around 640gr with 250 gr points
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
Swanny,

You fill the entire shaft with FFG and drop a 9 1/2 magnum rifle primer inside the insert and screw the field point in very very carefully till it just snugs the primer. Ya never seen penetration like it! Works great on groundhogs!!!
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©