3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone use a tipi?  (Read 516 times)

Online GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
Does anyone use a tipi?
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
Do any of you guys use a tipi for camping? What would be a good size for an adult and a couple of kids? Can you put them up alone? Any help appreciated  Thanks  Greg

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone use a tipi?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Check this out Gregg.
 http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Jerry, I've seen them, they are pretty slick but I mean a real tipi  with the poles and all. Thanks though. Greg

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Last year at the Western States Rendezvous, an Oregon archer put up this beautiful 14' tipi by himself.  He also did all the art work.

Lon Scott

Offline Dave Huff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
check Panther Primitive, they have tipis, wall tents, mideval tents, and a ton of other primitive camping items.
It is a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possiblitly than any I have since known.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Talk to Aeronut (Dennis)

He had a nice one at OJAM.

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
My Son and I slept in my Tipi at Compton last year. I made it 3 years ago. It is an 14 footer. I sleeps 6 tight and 4 with room to spare.

This is your view each morning.

I take mine to schools and give talks.

One man set up and take down.

Makes a great night light.

The top closes tight in case of rain. That storm came with 40 MPH winds.

You can't go wrong with a Tipi.

Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I have an 18' footer that we use on occasion (I have 4 boys) and it has plenty of room for more even with the fire ring set up.  I think the 18' tipi is about as large as you can go with setting one up by yourself.  I'm 6'/240 and its tricky sometimes setting up the hoist pole with the canvass which weighs about 90 lbs.  Let me know if you have any more questions or PM me.

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
You will want to get the liner as well. Skip the Ozan. I made mine but never use it. My poles are 25 feet long. Consider how you will haul them as well.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 03:39:00 AM »
I got a 16 foot one last year and love it!  Use a queen size air mattress in it with the fire ring, coolers, chairs, bows, and everything else with plenty of room.  Once you get a good rack for hauling the poles you can go just about anywhere and I could set mine up alaone but it is easier with the wife helping.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
I have a 16' that I love.  It takes me a little over an hour to set up by myself if I'm not answering a lot of questions (first time took about two days).  It gets easier with experience.
I don't have an ozan, just a liner.

I don't build a fire inside, gives me a sore throat, so I lay a plastic tarp for a floor.  I can set up my Cabela camp kitchen inside and still have loads of room for everything.  It is the most comfortable camping I have done.

I recently bought a cargo trailer and the first thing I did was make a rack to haul the poles.  I'll post some pictures this evening.

Here is mine set up at OJAM this year.  You can see the pole rack on my trailer behind it.

Back yard.

Dennis

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
One of my hunting buddies has a tipi that I have spent quite a bit of time in.  It makes a wonderful camp.  Set up does take some time, and is sure much easier with help, although with practice it can be done alone.

An alternative you might look into is a pyramid lodge tent.  It is a similar shape, and also makes a very comfortable camp.  Mine is 13x13, and uses one single pole in the center.  The fly takes three additional poles, and I think really adds to the functionality of the camp.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
I have a 14 footer from Reliable tent and tipi in Billings Montana and love it. My brother and brother inlaw both have one also.

It takes me about 45 minutes to set mine up but once its up there is nothing better. Mine has been in 70 mile an hour winds with golf ball size hale one time  :scared:  It did fine, I got a little nervous but the fire didn't even go out  :)  

Joseph is right, You need a good way to haul the poles and Whip is right about a pyramid being easier to set up, You have to check them all out.Look up buckskinnig on the web and I bet there will be a Spring Rendevous in your area and you can go see all of them at one time and decide. Good luck

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Spent 6 months in one.  February ice storms in Pennsylvania and hot summer days.  Pretty comfortable in both conditions.  You can raise the bottom in the summer for drafting.  The one I was in slept me and 12 boys with room for our gear.  Never set it up by myself though.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
what is the difference between the ozan and a liner?

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Check out this link.  It will explain a lot of stuff and has some cool pictures.  Click on the (Read more) links under each item.

http://www.reesetipis.com/liners_doors_ozans_floors.cfm

Dennis

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
The liner is the inner Tipi that goes about 5 feet up the inner side walls. The Ozan is an overhead rain cover with a pie section removes over the area where the fire ring would be.

Originally posted by tim-flood:
what is the difference between the ozan and a liner?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Red Bird and I had a 14' that we bow hunted out of. For cold weather we used a sheet metal stove set in the middle where you'd usually have the fire. One length of stove pipe is all that's needed because the updraft pulls the smoke up and out the top. The stove really heats it nicely.

For a family with kids I'd recommend an 18 footer...lots more room for gear, and sleeping.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
The 18' would be the way to go,you'll love the extra room.I camped in one for years,set up and took down myself no problem.Like mentioned before,consider how your going to haul it.  Leland

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
I wish i had 1! I almost bought 1 7yrs ago , but i bought a 14~14 wall tent instead with a woodstove,i use it a lot , but it an`t cool!!  :cool:
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©