3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats the difference?  (Read 244 times)

Offline Beepy

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats the difference?
« on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
... between a recurve and a long bow(besides the obvious limb diffrences)  Does one give more arrow speed, are they quieter? I was looking at the longbows that have the same riser setup as a recurve, with the shelf and cut to center window.  (on the Bob Lee website)  Any comments on one versus the other?  Thanks

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
You got me? The longbow is my favorite and seems to be quieter without adding silencers etc. but I haven't noticed that much difference in speed between what I've shot. (limited experience)
Others claim the recurve to be much faster because of design, but some of the newer hybrids in the long bow will put a good challenge to that.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Recurves are generally considered faster (+/- 5-10fps) overall and easier to maneuver. Longbows are a little slower but quieter w/less finger pinch. Hybrids are right at recurve speed and some claim better. Each has their die-hard supporters though many prefer shooting both. Longbow fans claim elegant simplicity. I agree.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
Neither is better than the other.  They just appeal to different folks in different ways.  A well designed longbow is faster than a poorly designed recurve and vice-versa.  Generally a person can comfortably shoot a somewhat shorter recurve for their draw length than an equal longbow.  Generally longbows are quieter or are easier to make quiet than the recurve.  In my humble opinion it is the fit of the grip, not the style of limb that is more important.  That is assuming you are looking at good quality bows. How the bow fits you determines how well you can shoot it.  How well you shoot the bow determines how effective it is, and how effective you are determines what your preference in bows will be.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Bob Lee provides some info on this if you request a catalog.  As I reach back into the cobwebs of my brain I believe they compare the same weight longbow and recurve. They did use FF string on the longbow, dacron on the recurve I think.  Speed was like 5 fps difference.  Nothing to consider really.  I have a Bob Lee recurve and am considering a longbow.  Bottom line is that as long as you are shooting quality gear, get what suits you.    :goldtooth:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©