3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking boots?  (Read 489 times)

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking boots?
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm wanting the impossible,
I've got a pair of Danner pronghorns I really like the fit and support but the sole are way to hard.I also have a pair of Browning featherweights that creak when my feet sweat but I love the foot to ground feel.
If I could take the best of both boots I would be satisfied.

Any help!

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking boots?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Danner Sharptail?

The sole is not very aggressive, but I've logged many miles chasing pheasants in them....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline 6X5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »
Try some moccasins from arrow moccasin co. I wear them for almost all my still/stalking hunting and they give me great feel of the ground.
Robert Johns

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »
LL Bean original non insulated have worked for me for forty plus years, you can feel every small branch while stalking also the  gum sole makes for quieter walking in leaves.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
My favorites are the Danner Jackal gtx. They have a very flat moccasin sole. They are very quiet and lite. They also have a gore-tex liner. I recommend them if you do a lot of stalking or sneaking in to your stand.
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
I second the Danner Jackals. Mine are the high top snakes, and are soft, and totally quiet. Like tenny runners, you can walk all day, sneak when you need to, walk in water, and disregard snakes.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
overbo, NO stalking boot is going to be really quiet on hard ground unless it has a really soft sole. I've guided lots of hunters and suggested that, they bring soft soled stalking shoes, none of them do that and bring something that is sold as "stalking sneakers" or that sounded quiet at home on their carpeting. On soft ground, any flexible boot with a thin sole will work. I have found three that worked on hard ground, Rocky 911's which aren't made anymore, Clarke's desert boots, which aren't really made for hunting, but work great in Africa or Australia during the dry season and Russell PHII's. I really like the Russell's, I can order them just the way I want, they have soft gum soles and were designed by a professional hunter, not some marketing guy!

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the feed back,
Can someone reccomend a boot that gives the support of the Danner Pronghorns w/ the foot to ground feel of a moccasin?
I'm hunting in rocky terrain that can be steep.Tipical elk country.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Chuck Taylors are great stalking shoes as are LL Beans rubber boots.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
I recently (this past fall) bought a pair of the Cabelas "Full Draw" boots. They are really more or less like Heavy duty high top tennis shoes(camo) with 400 gms. of thinsulate (they also come un insulated) and are 100 % waterproof. I think they were around $100. These shoes are tough as nails and are the most comfortable boots that I've had on my feet. They weigh 2.8#s per pair. I hunted the plains of WY, the mountains of MT, and the hardwoods of OH and KYand can find no fault. I also used them with gaiters and my snowshoes on a five day snow shoeing trip in the MT where we were covering 15 miles a day. I can't say enough about them.  Dave
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Oh I forgot......most importantly they are whisper quiet!! Dave
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
I'd like to do more still hunting this year and just bought these stalking shoes for bass pro. There waterproof and "rubberized" material, so I think they should be fairly scent free. Hopefully they work, but for $30 on sale, I figure I'll find a use for them one way or another.

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Get a pair of wrestling shoes.  Amateur wrestling shoes will weigh less than 1 pound for a pair carry them with you until you get to likely areas.

Dan
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Standard LL Bean boots (Maine hunting shoe)without the inserts have the best "feel" of the ground that I've found. You can feel sticks before you break them.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
I'll second the wrestling shoes!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Check out the Oakley S.I. 6" boot and also Merrell has some good soft sole boots.

CS

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by overbo:
I'm wanting the impossible,
I've got a pair of Danner pronghorns I really like the fit and support but the sole are way to hard.I also have a pair of Browning featherweights that creak when my feet sweat but I love the foot to ground feel.
If I could take the best of both boots I would be satisfied.

Any help!
I have a pair of Rancho Safari "Cat Prowlers" but they do not seem to be availible any longer. They slip over your regular boots and have a thick felt sole. They are scary quiet even in dry leaves. The only bad thing about them is when they get wet.....they get heavy and nasty,but you really don't need them on when the ground is wet. Also they're not good on steep slopes.
Cabelas sells a couple of products that are similar. Do a search there for felt sneakers.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Got a pair of the stalking boots from sportsmans guide 1 or 2 seasons ago.  They look a lot like the redhead ones that were posted above.  They were supposed to be waterproof but that didn't turn out to be the case.  Other than that, they are great.  They offer good support and are real quiet.  Best 39 bucks I've spent in a while.

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
I'm going with a pair of L.L. Bean They've been around for a LONG time and if they didn't work they wouldn't have survived the early days of hunting.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
When the time for stalking occurs, pull over your boots cheap-o [cotton] socks. I learned to do this first in the first couple of weeks of infantry OCS, that OCs could walk on the floor without marring its wax shine. I discovered it also silences significant portion of general movement in dry woods.

It doesn't matter about socks' quality, brand, or material; they're replaceable. Nor does their degree of water resistance matter.

Hope this helps.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©