3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to traditional, need some suggestions.  (Read 557 times)

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to traditional, need some suggestions.
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I started with a mag as well and was almost about to give up on traditional until someone told me to get a longer bow.  I got a grizzly and it was so much nicer to shoot.  It didnt take a genius to see and feel the difference.  Smaller groups, less finger pinch, more steady aim.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline guttooth71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
I have used some of your guys suggestions and started looking for used bows, found a Bear Super Kodiak for $295, seems a bit longer and maybe a little better quality than the kodiak mag....think this will suit me ok?

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
The SK is a fine bow.Seems a little high to me.I've seen some for closer to $200.Really the best thing would be to go to a trad event where you could get your hands on a lot of different bows.Most events will have dealers with tons of used bows you can shoot.

If you don't get to attend an event, shop around a little first.Give Sipsey River a call.John goes through a lot of used bows every 3D season.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
I didnt read most of the other posts BUT, Just because youll be hunting from a tree doesnt necessarily mean you need to have a shorter bow, Short bows can be tempermental and difficult to shoot.  The more you shoot the more youll know about this.  I shoot lots of bows Incuding a 48" recurve, Fun to shoot but difficult Longer bows are more stable, My $.02

Offline guttooth71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »
Thank you everyone for the info...while taking advice from many of you I think I have made my decision and going to pursue a 55# Martin X-200 recurve, @ 60 inches. Since price is also a decideing factor a new bow for $280 seems fair to me. I have read these are a fine bow for the $ and since I am new I dont think I will be missing out on an expensive custom bow.
With this bow/poundage, Do wooden arrows topped with zwickeys sound game enough to hunt deer/hogs?

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Yes, 55lbs is enough to hunt anything on this continent, with the possible exception of big bears, IMHO.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
If you are going to buy new also take a look at Chek Mate and Quinn bows.They are also under $300 and IMHO better than the X-200.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©