3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow relex deflex bow form template  (Read 479 times)

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow relex deflex bow form template
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
This is how I would make a template for a longbow delfex reflex type. I would then transfer this template to my bow form material.  My question to all of you is this how most bowyers make their experimental forms other than just copying the form from an existing longbow?  If this is a standard method of making a template   are the numbers I picked 6", 7" and 1" good choices are bad choices in making a relex deflex longbow? If not what numbers would you pick that have been proven to produce a good relex deflex longbow?

Note would it be a good idea to make the 1x8 piece longer than 35 to have more room on the left side for 1/2 of the handle?

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow relex deflex bow form template
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Buster,
Thats about how I made my latest form.  First traced a longbow I liked, then cleaned it up using that technique (the name of the techniue escapes me at the moment, but it is comonly used in woodworking and boatbuilding...).... as far as the handle, here's what I would do: (assuming it's a one peice and not a 3 piece)

Make the template, get it on to the finished product/ form.  repeat for other side, just flip it over, ensuring it is plum.  I'd do the same type technique for the handle area for a smooth contour handle...

Clear as mud?

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
You could try Google SketchUp

Thats what I'm using for this recurve...

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=058727
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
I remembered what it is called.  A batten.
Good luck.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©