3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Insect Shield Clothing  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Insect Shield Clothing
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
I know there have been extensive posts on here about tick protection and using permethrin. When Sitka clothing recently started offering some of their line with Insect Shield Technology I was intrigued and did a little research. To my surprise I found Insect Shield has a website (insectshield.com) that in addition to treating clothing also offers for sale their own line of treated products. The prices seem very reasonable and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with their products?
Thanks.

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
Re: Insect Shield Clothing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 10:18:26 AM »
Didn't see any camo products. In Florida when it's HOT (which is most of the time) we try to wear as little ans light as possible. Layering would be a ticket for over heating except when it's cool. Then the bugs are more dormant.
I'll stick with permethrin and my thermacell.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
I agree with Bob...and wear what you want.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:33:09 PM »
If you look on the Insect Shield website, they say that their technology is essentially a long lasting permethrin treatment. I have used Insect Shield clothing and it works as well as permethrin treated clothing I've treated myself.  Game Hide has a line of Insect Shield treated camo they call something like "Elimitick".  If you search Amazon for Insect Shield Camoflauge you will find a lot of options.

That being said, I also use a Thermacell when the buzzing gets serious.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »
Bob, agreed, they don't offer camo.
What most intrigues me about the Insect Shield technology is that it lasts for 70 washings. For me that would do away with buying multiple bottles of Permethrin each year and treating my own clothing 2 or 3 times each season. They offer a service where you can send your own clothing in and have it treated with the Insect Shield technology and it's good for 70 washings. To be more specific with my original post...has anyone used this service for their own outdoor clothing?
What I was considering their line of clothing for was scouting, food plot work, stand set up, camera checks, etc. If I could find a confirmation on its quality I'd be willing to order some and give it a try.
The last thing that caught my eye were their pet products. A couple of them would be just the ticket for a canine friend who accompanies you afield.
Thanks for the discussion thus far. Still hoping someone can chime in with firsthand knowledge...

Offline blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »
They would be great for fishing where skeeters tend to hang out especially early and late.
That said with 70 washing they would be an excellent deal.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:44:20 PM »
Hi Kevin,
I was out in the blind Saturday morning and while it was SNOWING, I got bit by a mosquito. Only in South Dakota, eh?? Intersted in what you learn about this clothing for sure.

Justin
Hill

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 05:37:32 PM »
Hi Kevin,
I was out in the blind Saturday morning and while it was SNOWING, I got bit by a mosquito. Only in South Dakota, eh?? Intersted in what you learn about this clothing for sure.

Justin

Good to hear from you again, Justin. I will update for sure.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
Here is the reply I received from Insect Shield's customer service with answers to a few of my questions:

First, we do have a 30 day return/exchange policy that starts when you receive your order. We include a return authorization form with each shipment that can be used to send back returns. Also, our pants are more of a loose fit as they are intended for outdoor usage or for working in.
(This next part of the reply was in response to sending my current hunting clothing in to be treated by them):The main items that will see shrinkage are brand new cotton items, so your polyester hunting clothing should do fine. Once we receive the order, it will take 2-3 business days to complete the treatment before they are ready to ship back.

Best regards,

insect shield ®
814 west market street
greensboro, north carolina 27401
ph  336.272.4157   fax  336.275.7604
www.insectshield.com

Offline forster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
I have used insect shield technical shirts, socks, hats, pants for several years while cruising timber. Love  their treated clothing. Its not 100 percent effective bit darn close. Several other clothing companies use their treatment-elimitick is one of them.

Offline TrapperJohn77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 09:16:22 PM »
I don't think this idea is entirely bad, but the treatment is going to wear off and you will have to reapply it to maintain effectiveness anyway.  So,  applying permethrin myself would be easier and more cost effective.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 08:53:01 PM »
Appreciate all the differing thoughts...thanks.

Offline bcwilly2003

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
Ever try "Rynoskin" sold at Basspro and amazon?

Offline DocWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
I purchased several military surplus garments with some type of insect shield in them this past summer. BDUs were running $15-$25 per garment. No idea how many washes the clothing had been through but I hunted southeast NC in October and when I put the shirt on there was a noticeable drop off in skitter attacks.

By the way, I love the multi-cam pattern. Best deal running on tough outdoor clothing. Far superior to what you buy today for two to three times the cost.
"A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion."  Unknown

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 06:32:00 PM »
Ever try "Rynoskin" sold at Basspro and amazon?
I have not.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 03:13:21 PM »
Quick follow-up...
I sent in 10 pieces of clothing for treatment. I had them back 11 days later. Very satisfied with the turnaround time. I'm assuming the clothing will work every bit as good as my self-treated clothing has worked in years past. What I am looking to gain by the professional application of permethrin is 1) longevity and 2) better adherence of the permethrin to my more technical/synthetic clothing.
Time will tell.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 04:04:35 PM »
Would you mind mentioning what it cost to treat the 10 articles of clothing? 

I'm considering treating some of my camo as it might help me solve some of my insect anger management issues in the deep, dark Michigan forests.  I hunt whitetails on the ground and while I'm not 100% certain, all the rapid full-swing swatting,  maniacal swearing, screaming and spitting, and Olympic long distance sprinting from swarms of skeeters seems to be negatively affecting my hunting success.

I wonder if my leafy ghillie suit can be treated?  Maybe my thermacell could be treated too.
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 07:35:24 PM »
Quick follow-up...
I sent in 10 pieces of clothing for treatment. I had them back 11 days later. Very satisfied with the turnaround time. I'm assuming the clothing will work every bit as good as my self-treated clothing has worked in years past. What I am looking to gain by the professional application of permethrin is 1) longevity and 2) better adherence of the permethrin to my more technical/synthetic clothing.
Time will tell.
Thanks for the update. Keep us in the loop about how well it works. I assume it will be effective, I just wonder about longevity.
Btw, is there any odor at all to your clothes now?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
Zero odor.
I agree. Longevity will be the deciding factor as to whether or not it is worthwhile.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 07:03:46 AM »
For 10 pieces of clothing it cost me $8.33 per piece.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©