3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with a string  (Read 1827 times)

Offline TrapperJohn77

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with a string
« on: April 28, 2019, 03:49:28 PM »
Hello,

I just bought a graying green Bear Grizzly, 45 lb.  I paid $125 for it.  Whether it was a good deal, or not I'm really excited about it. I had one of these when I was a kid. Shot it daily for years, but gave it away when I left for college.  I've been missing it and have been keeping my eyes open for one for a while.  Found one that hadn't been drilled and pounced.   Can someone please give me some advice about buying a string.  What should I buy (AMO 58") for it?  Also, any idea what the brace height should be?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with a string
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
Usually string is 3" shorter than the AMO length.  That is where I would start.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »
Any of our string making sponsors can make you a perfect string for your Grizzly. Call to order and talk to the string maker he can give you some good info.

I'm not familiar with the Grizzly but I imagine a brace height around 8" should be ball park.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TrapperJohn77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:38:05 PM »
Thank you

Jim Casto Jr

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »
You should probably use a B-50 or B-55 string on that bow.  So... the AMO standard would be a 55" string, but since those materials will stretch, you might want to try a 54.25 or 54.50" string on it.

As for the brace height, on most recurves if you twist the string up/down until you can see about .50 to .75" of string grove under the string, that's usually a good place to start.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »
Defiantly hit up RMSGear. They have a knowledgable team that can help you get the right string on your bow.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline TrapperJohn77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 11:39:00 PM »
I am not sure what is meant by the 0.5 inch string groove under the string.  Can you please explain Jim?

I'll check out RMS gear.

Thanks.

Jim Casto Jr

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 08:21:44 AM »
I am not sure what is meant by the 0.5 inch string groove under the string.  Can you please explain Jim?

I'll check out RMS gear.

Thanks.

Most recurve bows have a string grove at the curve of the limb to keep the string tracking in the center--some older bows don't have a groove.  When you string your bow, if you can see about one half inch to three quarters of an inch of that grove under the string, that's a good place to start with brace height.  You don't want the string laying on the flat part of the limb.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 09:41:07 AM »
10Ring has made a couple for the Grizzlies I had; I’ll look and see what length they were made at.
SWA Spyder

Offline TrapperJohn77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post a pic of the string groove Jim. After I thought about it for a minute, that is what I thought you were referring to with the string groove.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »
None of the Grayling Bear Grizzlies are Fast Flight compatible. Any of the strings mentioned earlier should be fine.
Aim small,miss small

Offline TrapperJohn77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 04:11:15 PM »
I picked up a hybrid long bow (Galaxy) that is FF compatible.  Is there a reason not to use a FF string if you can use one? 

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
FF strings are (many times) thinner if you buy them pre-made. You can have more strands added if ordering a custom FF. This can cause nocking issues if your nocks are a good fit with a standard 3 bundle string. I have found them less forgiving on the fingers (harsher) and a bit noisier as well, nothing that string silencers can't fix though. The biggest caveat is they will chew the string nocks off a non-FF bow limb very quickly, pretty much destroying the bow. A few fps isn't worth risking it, IMHO.
Aim small,miss small

Offline TrapperJohn77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
60X strings