3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old guys, where were you summer of 69?  (Read 15240 times)

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old guys, where were you summer of 69?
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »
Thanks to all the veterans for their service! I was born in 72 so in 69, half my DNA was in Vietnam with my Dad and the other half was in nursing school with my Mom.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

arrow30

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »
I was 8 years old, im sure I was catching frogs and snakes and throwing rocks at whatever I couldn't catch. and plenty of fishing with my dad.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »
I’m a yougin. Didn’t start til 1970.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »
Married, one baby born in January, just moved into the first house, preparing to hunt Aberdeen Proving Grounds in the fall where I was to kill my first deer with a bow or gun.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »
Ten years old. Roaming the woods and creek edges catching frogs and snakes. Shooting a homemade hickory limbed bow with shoe string string.
When school was first out we went to DC. My first time in a jet.
The next month we went to Florida. Went to Cape Canaveral and watched Apollo 11 being rolled out to the launch pad. I tried to talk my patents into staying to watch the launch. Didn't work.
Back to Cape Canaveral and watched Apollo 13 rolling out to the launch pad. Who woulda thunk what would happen?
Revelation 3:20

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
I was in between junior and senior year of high school and spent the summer chasing this one girl.  In my spare time I was perfecting my technique on hay bales in the backyard with a new Shakespeare Necedah and Herters Aluminum arrows.  Also spent a lot of weekends scouting Quantico Marine Corps Base and building stands with my dad.  Shot my first deer, a button buck, on the last day of the season that year.  Reminds me, I need to thank my day - he turns 95 this weekend.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2019, 05:43:49 PM »
Looking forward to my senior year in high school, working on the farm and camping with the family. Shooting my  Browning  Nomad Stalker.  Bought that in 67.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

pavan

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2019, 06:11:57 PM »
Graduated high school, 1969. In June went out to Juliard Music School, I had a tuition free scholarship.   I found out that i did not like flying and i did not like New York.  Came home for a weekend then drove out to Chicago, where I also had a tuition free deal with the Chicago School of Music.  Major race riots broke out right next to the campus, lots of rock throwing.  i decided that was not for me either.  July one found me paddling a wood canvas canoe in the Boundary Waters, much more my speed.  October 4, found myself field dressing an 8 pointer alongtheu Rock River.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
Quang Tri So. Vietnam.

Offline Bow Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »
I had just graduated from a 2 yr auto tech school in Waynesville Mo  I spent the summer chasing tourist girls with my buddies at the Bagnel Dam strip at Lake of the Ozarks, Mo. It was my last summer of freedom because I was on a delayed enlistment into the USAF. During the previous two years I had watched the draftees that were going through Basic and Infantry training at Fort Leonard Wood and knew that I didn't want to be drafted into the Army or Marines. I received a draft notice about a month after I went on active duty. I stayed in the USAF 22 yrs and 3 mos, maintaining the Minuteman Missiles.  I was shooting a 53# Bear Cub and Micro Flite arrows that I still have.
If I'd known that I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 08:48:13 AM »
I was an Army short timer at Coleman Barracks in Mannheim Germany. I knocked my girlfriend up on my first leave home out of Ft Rucker (helicopter crewchief) in 67 so I was a married man with a son at 20.

I had my family with me in Germany but some low life stole my car and I couldn't afford to buy another on Army pay. I had to get up at 4:30 and ride streetcars and busses for hours to get to the base from where I lived in Viernheim Germany, same on the trip back home after work. I sent the family back to the states and moved into the barracks for my last year of service in Germany.

I got out in Dec of 69, found a good job and lived the American dream.

GCook

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
A lot of veterans posting up.  You have my sincere  gratitude for your service.   Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 09:45:09 AM »
I was 4.5 years old exploring the wilderness of my back yard in Henrietta, NY. 
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2019, 10:29:51 AM »
U. S. Army flight school, Ft. Rucker, Alabama.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
I was out terrorizing the woodlot behind the house with my new Bear Little Bear bow that was an upgrade from the Shakespeare Parabow  I bought three years previous. Still have both and didn't think about the Little Bear being 50 years old until this thread.  :archer2:

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
I was out terrorizing the woodlot behind the house with my new Bear Little Bear bow that was an upgrade from the Shakespeare Parabow  I bought three years previous. Still have both and didn't think about the Little Bear being 50 years old until this thread.  :archer2:

LOL, I never would have thought that when that photo was taken 50 years ago I would still have that old Ben Pearson and a few of the dozen arrows!
Aim small,miss small

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2019, 12:58:38 AM »
USMC OCS  My “Woodstock “ was an M14!!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2019, 03:05:55 AM »
Was loosing arrows out of my Little Bear which I still have held on to.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2019, 06:28:48 AM »
Meeting my future wife. Getting ready for my second year of college, using the GI bill.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
I turned 14 that summer.  I was enjoying shooting my 43# Pearson Gamester.  Carp and frogs were in trouble back then.  1969 also sticks out in my memory because that Spring my dad hired a contractor to move our house from St. Feriole island in Prairie du Chien.  He bought a lot on the high ground in town where they poured a new basement for the house.  It was a good thing, it flooded pretty bad that year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©