3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old guys, where were you summer of 69?  (Read 15245 times)

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old guys, where were you summer of 69?
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
I had just graduated from high school, living a dream with my girlfriend and wife of 49 years now, and a 69 Roadrunner. Following year was introduced to Uncle Sam.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
imbowhunt10, don't you wish you had that 69 Roadrunner back? I sure wish I had my 69 Chevelle. The 60's and early 70's were a crazy time, but I enjoyed them. It wasn't until '70 (I think) that I killed my first deer using a Ben Pearson Gamester at 45#.
Sam

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »
Summer of "69" I had just graduated from college and was preparing for my first teaching/coaching job in Newport News, VA. Bought a Wing Thunderbird that summer and started a life with stick and string.  :archer2:

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2019, 04:51:31 PM »
Let's see ... like blacktailbob, I was 15 years old in the summer of '69.  In West Michigan, many of us picked blueberries each summer to put a little jingle in our pockets.  So, I was picking blueberries during the day, hawking after pretty girls at night and working out my right arm getting ready for fall football season in my spare moments.  Didn't shoot bows back then . . . wish I had.
Good memories for sure!
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2019, 05:22:30 PM »
Forgot to mention, I wasn’t a full fledged bow hunter at that time. I shot carp with an old 35 pound Pearson Collegian, and shot the heck out of everything else with a slingshot. Whitetail were just beginning to show up in northwestern Ohio at that time. Yes Sam I sure would like to have that orange roadrunner now, and I would have loved to seen your chevelle. What color was it?
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
I had finished my freshman year at the University of Montana School of Forestry and was working on the Kootenia National Forest. Started working on the brush crew running a chainsaw and piling brush, then they found out I was a
Forestry student at the UM and started me doing forestry work. That was the start of my long career in forestry and living the dream I had dreamed since I was a boy. I worked in Montana for 30 years and got another dream job in Alaska and have been here since. Been bowhunting since I was 16 years old.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
Just graduated high school, my parents let me buy my first car with some university money. A 1951 2 door Chevy "torpedo back", 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree.
Summer job at a men's wear store and "Stadium Dances" every Friday night. So this would be our 50 year high school reunion.

It was a few years until I even started hunting, but I haven't stopped.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2019, 08:43:29 PM »
imbowhunt10, that Chevelle was sort of a mint green, better looking than it sounds. It ran pretty good, too. Oddly, my dad bought it for me while I was in Europe, so I didn't see it till September. I previously had a 64 Mercury Comet but blew it up on my way back to college one afternoon. Somewhere I have a photo of my first deer kill draped across the hood of that Chevy. As good looking as the car was, it looked a lot cooler with that deer on it. The morning I got that deer was the day of the local Deer Festival held on the town square. It just so happened that I "had" to drive around the square with the 10 pointer on the hood. I know that pride and showing off is frowned upon, but I was young and wanted everyone to see it. I still get excited when get a deer and will give up hunting if I ever lose the thrill of it. 69 was a good year in many ways.
Sam

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2019, 08:52:16 PM »
Ashau Valley

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »
I was a sophomore in veterinary school at Ohio State.  1970 was the Kent State shootings when Governor Rhodes closed all the state colleges in Ohio except for the junior & senior classes of med, dent, and vet school.  I was one of six classes on the entire Ohio State campus.  Very strange times!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2019, 09:28:50 PM »
Sounds like it was the “Green Machine,” especially with your 10 point on the hood! Dig up that picture if you can, that would really liven things up.....

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 11:42:50 PM »
Sixteen yrs old. Another time and place. Read a book about the first guy to backpack the Pacific Crest Trail. Bought the same Kelty pack he used. Every chance I got I headed for the Cascades back country with fly rod in hand. Didn’t start hunting until the early 80’s. But by then I knew some good places!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2019, 09:06:54 AM »
On a backpacking/hunting trip with the USMC in southeast Asia.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
I was 5 years old getting ready to start kindergarten. I remember my older brother shooting at straw bales about that time. Because my older brother was interested in archery, we stopped at the Fred Bear Museum on the way home from a family vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  Very interesting post. My gratitude goes out to those who served during the Vietnam Conflict.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2019, 10:29:30 AM »
I was 17, working a summer job at a tent theater in Milwaukee. My dad and uncle had joined Sherwood Forest Bow Club and we would spend our free time shooting there. I had killed my first deer, a 3pt. buck the season before. Working, playing and listening to some of the best rock music ever made...just enjoying life !

Offline 8upss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
I was 9 years old. We lived across the Indian River from Kennedy Space Center.

My Dad worked on the Apollo missions for McDonnell/ Douglas.

I saw the 11, 12 and 13 launches in person. We moved to Arkansas in the fall of ‘71.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gifford, MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2019, 03:29:01 PM »
Working on the Hahn's Peak District, Routt National Forest. Lived up in the Seedhouse Guard Station. Mt. Zirkel Wilderness Area to east. Elk River flowed behind the Guard Station. Could not believe I was getting paid to work and live there. Went to town (Steamboat Springs) every two weeks for groceries and liquid refreshments. Still shake my head at it all.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
In 1969 I was 8 years old and had been shooting a bow for 5 years.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »
21 yrs old fixin to marry wife # 1.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2019, 12:06:30 PM »
Just before turning out of a 5 year apprenticeship and planning to go to work in Las Vegas. Ended up north of Vegas at the nuclear test site, quite an experience and the start of a career that has seen me working in 21 states. I'm retired/back to work now at another more laid back nuclear site, plant Vogtle here in GA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©