3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Covering Feathers?  (Read 6736 times)

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Covering Feathers?
« on: May 03, 2019, 02:14:05 PM »
Do any of you cover your feathers? Both of my bows carry full quivers with mostly white feathered arrows. To me they stand out like a sore thumb for turkey and deer. So I've been using an old camo mask to cover them. I too the mask off and can't find it, but I had a camo hanky, so I tied that on. It covers well, but restricts getting a second arrow out of my quiver and putting the arrow back in. What do you use as a cover, if at all?
My next arrows will be anything but white.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Covering Feathers?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
Nothing move than a full loaded bow quiver when you are in the wood, I am been busted more than a single time before I started to use a cover
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Brian-

I have made several fletching covers from cheap fleece (on sale at Walmart, or the fabric store). You don't need much. Its basically a draw string pouch without the bottom stitched in and long/wide enough to slip over the feathers. I leave the bottom unsewn so it won't collect crap in it while I am in the woods. I use really thin elastic string or bungee (1/8" I think) for the draw top. I make the strings long enough for a slight stretch fit up to the base of the quiver. A simple loop tied on each end slips over the ends of the arrow gripper to secure it. I think I have a couple that I used slide locks on.

Just be sure you get two sided fleece and not the stuff that is white on the back side. I use my wife's sewing machine but hand stitching or even fabric glue would work.

OkKeith

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
A cheap see through camo headnet works well. Run a thin piece of shock cord from the base of the headset to the lower arrow gripper to hole it on. The material is the same kind used for blind windows. Could also make your own with that material.  Nice thing about it is the wind blows through it so it's easier to hold on target in a wind, should that situation ever arise.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
Shoot mostly bright orange and orange barred 5" 3-fletch.  Turkey could be a problem, but I don't get to hunt turkey much.  Hogs don't mind and it helps add to the orange I am required to wear on public land hunting hogs.  Deer don't seem to mind either.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 08:06:28 PM »
I bought some water resistant camo cloth at the yardgoods store. Wife made a bag that goes over the fletch. I keep it on with stretch cord. It’s big enough that I used to keep it my back quiver or side quiver if I got caught in rain at range as well.
 Another bag I have I bought at surplus store. It in made to fit in the side pouches of the Alice pack. It has a rubber lining and is flat green.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »
Thanks guys. Pretty much nothing more than I'm doing now. I have to find that cheap camo head net I was using. It worked better than the hanky.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 08:38:27 AM »
 I use a camo fleece fletching cover for my Delta type bow quiver. One thing to add to the above posts, I take a piece of plastic weed wacker cord say 16" long. I insert it into the channel that holds the elastic. I use heat srink tubing to hold the ends together and get it to form a ovalish hoop. It holds the the top end of the cover open to make inserting or getting arrows out a little easier.

Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
Exactly the same as M60Gunner, except I did the sewing.  Works perfect  Keeps them hidden and dry.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
That’s why I splice my feathers. Small section of white at the tail end combined with barred feathers gives me the visibility of the white going away but doesn’t
give me away on stand
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
Been using fletch covers for years...they are all not the same.

Bob Morrison use to make great ones....then when he quit I sent one to Safari Tuff....not sure if they are making anymore.

9 inches of material and open at the bottom with a wire to hold it open.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 09:02:26 PM »
I use a hip quiver n not once have I been busted. I did at one time use a bow quiver and I’d prob never use white.
I’d splice feathers and use chartreuse (my eyes see that better than white) on the back section. I could clearly see the arrow flight yet the “color” was less. Truth is w the hip quiver I may use mostly chartreuse, perhaps w a blue stripe or blue inner section and I still never get busted.
Why not buy some like I suggested and run a couple white and a couple the others until you run out of all white.
If they aren’t wood or even if they are (slightly tougher) but change the feather color is another option
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 11:01:54 PM »
I shoot florescent Yellow and Green fletching, I made a fletch cover out of Opti-Fade Sub Alpine to match the bow from a torn pair of pants and fleece lined it, with a length of 1/8" shock cord to secure it to the quiver.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »
Yeah Dave....I use the brightest fletching I can get for numerous, all positive, reasons....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »
Been using fletch covers for years...they are all not the same.

Bob Morrison use to make great ones....then when he quit I sent one to Safari Tuff....not sure if they are making anymore.

9 inches of material and open at the bottom with a wire to hold it open.

Yup, Rod had the best ones. A bendable wire sewn into the top and heavy weedwacker line sewn into the bottom to keep it open. And Terry is correct, he’s not making that style anymore. I bought the last two he had around 2010....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:12:48 PM by Yellow Dog »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
Another pic.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 07:19:21 PM »
I use four fletch on a white wrap with Flo yellow and Flo orange. Several years ago a buddy's wife made us a fleece camo arrow cover. Quite, keeps rain off, and hides arrows well.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
i know this is about bow quivers- but i moved away from them, and the reasons above being one of my main concerns- i now use a cat quiver- and for me- its the best system.
for all the bow quiver guys n'gals out there- i do empathize with your situation.
that cover that was made by Rod, looks like the ticket though!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
I have a fleece bag like above for fletch cover when needed. When not needed it is fastened to the frame of my GFA style quiver with an extra string for the bow I'm using.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©