3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground blinds for whitetails: a few questions, comments, observations.  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
Have found a new farm last season. Bordered by a major interstate on one side and a large river on the other. It's 400 acres or so. There is a gully running through the south end. The gully is only about 100 yards wide and does not have much for cover but there is some. There is a SPRING on top of the gully where all the crop fields meet.

Last year I got numerous photos of a few big bucks but all at night. On the evening of Nov. 15th I got a photo of a big buck responding to pre-orbital gland lure but not until last light and I was not in that stand anyway...

I am near certain I found his hideout. It's near the spring. Within a few feet he can have water and food while never risking his hide by being exposed in the gully. The thermals in the evening cover his back side if he chooses to travel the gully in search for does. He does not need to leave the comfort and security of his hideout. It's on higher ground and he can observe in all directions from the vantage point and smell anything out of his view. I realize this is all theory at this point.

In his hideout I found about 50 rubs (big ones) so I could tell that he likes to hang out there. It's an old fencerow that has grown up in tangles, come summer will be impossible to walk through.  My plan is to put a camera on that spring or near it and leave it all summer. The area is pretty flat and I am thinking ground blind since there are no trees up top, just brush.

Potentially this is going to be a very very good spot. Wondering about building a semi-permanent blind, pit blind, etc. My gut and prior intel tell me "this is the spot."

I will update you all as this unfolds.

Justin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:39:10 PM by Justin Falon »
Hill

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting question for big whitetails
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
Justin:

Good luck in your quest for this Big Buck.  There are so many variables and it sounds like you have found his sanctuary.  The only down side I can see is during the rut.  He will leave the sanctuary in search for does and travel many miles to find them.  My suggestion would be to find his early season pattern and try to get him before the November rut.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Thanks Doug. I agree completely! What I suspect is his hide out near the water spring and food sources will likely be abandoned come November. It is just pretty exciting to have this type of realization so to speak. I will keep you all posted.

Justin
Hill

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »
Your title say "question for big whitetails"
What is the question?
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »
Good point.
My question is this: have any of you had success building semi-permanent blinds?  We get a LOT of wind here. This spot is not very protected from the wind and even if I stake my blind down really well, it will not hold up in the winds we typically have.

I went out today and looked at the area again. There is a nice location for a blind of some sort. Maybe I will just make a sturdy natural blind. Just wondering what some of you have done. The wind is fierce here.

Justin
Hill

arrow30

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
I would prefer a natural ground blind, just build it good to last.

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
Awesome! Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:30:10 PM »
Natural ground blind built early, preferably during a rain.
Careful on access route so not to blow him out of there during hunting season.

shoot straight shoot often

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »
For starters I wouldn't hang a camera anywhere close to his suspected bedding area. It will be to tempting to check the pics. Every time you go near that spot he will wise up. If you have to hang a camera, do it at his suspected food source.
 Get in now, prep a natural ground blind or pic a tree out. STAY OUT until it's time to hunt. Your first time sitting will be your best chance. Only do it with a good wind direction.

Offline Mighty Big Country

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 09:32:23 PM »
If I didn't know you, I'd say not a chance on killing this buck.  Given the topography in Eastern SD, you have to be patient until everything is tilted in our favor.  Build the ground blind then wait until the wind is perfect.  Don't you owe me a burger or is it my turn?

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 07:43:32 AM »
Mark

Let's eat!  My schedule is open.

Justin
Hill

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
A brush blind is not difficult to build. I have one that has been in place for several years. Each year, I spruce it up with new stuff, particularly evergreens after Christmas. Also, I have planted shrubbery that will eventually grow up and make maintenance a simple operation of trimming. It is located along a travel route, so deer use the area regularly. I don't worry about chasing them out of the area, because I don't go there very often, either. Since your location is near a favored bedding area, you need to be sure not to be overly invasive. Get your blind set up, then clear out. Playing the wind, just as you would when hunting, may be a good idea when building the blind. The blind does not need to be elaborate. Remember, you are not building Fort Apache, just a simple hiding spot. It is kind of fun. Good luck, and hopefully, we will see a hero picture of you and a big buck.
Sam

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
The lines "totally different species" makes sense to me now. Big deer just don't tolerate pressure.
That is why I think this spot is so good. No pressure. I am going to get my blind constructed and wait. I know he will be there. The terrain will put him there as he cruises for does. September seems like a long ways away!

Stay tuned.

Justin
Hill

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
Comments above are correct you'll probably only get one chance at him.  He looks like he has a few more years to go.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

pavan

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »
I don't know for sure.  I played hide and seek for two years with a monster that could go 200 P&Y.  it is very difficult to predict just when and where a big deer can be in this part of the world.  It will be very possible that influences that you have no control over will affect any pattern that may develop.  The worst influences on this side of the river are night time poachers.  I think my 12 pointer buddy may have been killed by one of them.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
You've received great info from some obviously experienced big buck hunters.  I might suggest that your first hunt, with all other conditions exactly right, be a morning hunt where you sneak in very, very early and wait for him to return from a night of feeding.  If you don't snore, you might get there even earlier.  Might work, but you'd need to determine his travel route from food to sanctuary and intercept him heading for bed.  I wish you well!

One thing I've learned about buck sanctuaries:  Seems that when a buck's sanctuary works for him and hears/sees/smells me coming from a ways off and makes an easy, early escape, he'll return to such a sanctuary as it 'WORKS'.  Conversely, seems when I sneak up on a buck, get close and startle him out of his sanctuary, he doesn't return as it 'DID NOT WORK'.  He'll relocate to find a 'better' sanctuary.  Knowing this, when I'm scouting new areas, I do not try to be too stealthy as if I scare a buck while scouting, he'll most likely relocate and I'll most like have to continue scouting.
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
I’m going to build a blind in the next few days then stay out.
I suspect he’ll be on his summer pattern soon.  When it cools off I’m going to be ready.  Can never plan too much!  The wind has to be right!!!
Hill

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »
Good luck to the future.....sounds like you got a good plan & advise.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 06:07:18 AM »
I've built quite a few blinds using all sorts of stuff. Concrete wire that comes in rolls works best for me. It gives a solid structure that lasts many many years. It's very easy to add brush logs or cedar boughs to it and have them stay where ya want them.  Hope this helps and good luck
Tim B

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 08:52:47 AM »
I like all the ideas!!!!!
Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©