3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ratchet Pruners  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Ratchet Pruners
« on: May 19, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »
Have been trying for quite some time to buy a pair of Florian ratchet pruners with no luck...nobody seems to have them in stock including the Florian Tools website. Wondering about other brand recommendations for top of the line ratchet pruners to use in prepping stand sites???

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ratchet Pruners
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »
Wolf Garten makes good stuff. I have 2 pruners 15 years.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »
I have Felco #2 are bypass pruners. They are standard in the landscape trade. I've had mine over 20 years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »
I have Felco #2 are bypass pruners. They are standard in the landscape trade. I've had mine over 20 years.
I really like my Felco pruners but I would like a quality pair of ratchet style and I dont think Felco make a ratchet, or do they?
I wanted a pair of Florian but I can't find them either.
I tried some EZKUT ratchets and I hate them. They get stuck in " neutral" A LOT...meaning the ratchet slips and doesn't engage.
EZKUT sucks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:00 AM »
Appreciate the input thus far. The Felco pruners look interesting, but I have the same question: are they a ratchet style pruner?

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »
When I do a search for "ratchet" on the Felco site, no results are found, so I guess Felco doesn't make any.
I have some stuff from Treehopper that I really like but I don't own their new ratchet pruner. It may be worth looking at.
https://www.treehopperllc.com/shop/tree-hopper-lane-maker-pruner/

I will say this about most of the ratchet pruners that I've used...some require hands the size of Andre the Giant. The handle open way too far. My buddy has a brand that almost requires 2 hands to use. The cut nice but they open too far.

That's why I was excited to try the Florian model made for smaller hands, but I can't find them...maybe no longer made?? 90% of the stuff on the Florian site says "out of stock".

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 12:42:14 PM »
If Felco makes ratchet pruners I don't know about them. I also have a Felco folding saw that I use on branches that are too big for the hand pruners. One of the things I like about Felco pruners is every part of them is replaceable, even the plastic grip covers. The blade is easy to replace when needed but that is rare.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »
In corresponding with A M Leonard, a horticultural supply company, here is what they recommended as a top of the line ratchet pruner:  https://www.amleo.com/ez-kut-ratcheting-pruner/p/RP702/
Thoughts?
First hand experience?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »
Kevin,

I have not used the pruners shown in your link, so can't offer feedback. I HAVE used the Florian pruners for years and have 2 pair in my gear now. I like their weight but have found them poorly suited for all but relatively easy cuts in softwood or small diameter hardwood. For a couple extra ounces I bought these Felco pruners from AM Leonard:

https://www.amleo.com/felco-160l-large-hand-pruners-1-inch-cutting-capacity/p/F160L/

They have composite handles and very good blades. Not ratcheting, but the superior cutting ability mitigates that factor for me. I buy a lot of tools from AM Leonard and they are a good company, though not inexpensive.

Edit this to add: The Felco pruners are made in Switzerland, and they are completely repairable or rebuildable via online parts. Check other sources for prices. Trust me....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:28:21 PM by Kevin Dill »

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 03:30:12 PM »
Good info, Kevin. Thanks.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 04:21:54 PM »
For anyone interested, I have a contact at AM Leonard. I spoke with that person and confirmed that Florian (company) is not operating, has no inventory and is in some form of litigation. Basically....no Florian pruners available.

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »
In corresponding with A M Leonard, a horticultural supply company, here is what they recommended as a top of the line ratchet pruner:  https://www.amleo.com/ez-kut-ratcheting-pruner/p/RP702/
Thoughts?
First hand experience?
Yes I have 1st hand with them. I mentioned it in post #6.
My big complaint is the ratchet will often not engage. Half way thru a cut, the ratchet will just slip and not advance the blade. So many times, you have to remove the pruners from the cut and restart.
I bought 2 at the Ohio show last year...buy 1 get one deal.
I dropped one pair in the woods and barely looked for it. Good riddance! I always question myself when I grab that 2nd pair instead of my Felco anvil style.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »
Hate to hear that Floridian is no longer in business. I bought a ratchet pruner from them a few years back on Barry Wenzel's recommendation. Great product, although fairly expensive. Perfect for my bowhunting needs. Was thinking about getting a second set. Guess I'm looking for a different brand now. Wonder which one is the best?  :dunno:

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »
Look at the brand Clauss. Far less expensive but probably worth the minimal risk of money.

https://www.claussco.com/clauss-7-pruner-ratchet-action.html

Most of these plastic or nylon body pruners go with me only for light duty trimming. When it's time to cut real branches or stubs, etc....I'll have real tools with me.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
Thanks and same here on using real tools when the job gets serious.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 08:28:55 PM »
First hand experience?
[/quote]Yes I have 1st hand with them. I mentioned it in post #6.
My big complaint is the ratchet will often not engage. Half way thru a cut, the ratchet will just slip and not advance the blade. So many times, you have to remove the pruners from the cut and restart.
I bought 2 at the Ohio show last year...buy 1 get one deal.
I dropped one pair in the woods and barely looked for it. Good riddance! I always question myself when I grab that 2nd pair instead of my Felco anvil style.

[/quote]

Sorry Tom. As soon as I read this post I remembered you mentioning the EZ Kut pruners. Too many choices!

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 06:29:34 AM »
I don't have these but remembered seeing them.

I have used their tree belt for about 20 years now with no problems.

Tedd

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »
I don't have these but remembered seeing them.

I have used their tree belt for about 20 years now with no problems.

Tedd

The new Treehopper drills are awesome. I personally know Mark Cama the owner of Treehopper. He's really on top of customer satisfaction and makes things right if you aren't 100% satisfied. I don't own his pruners (yet) but I plan on getting a pair.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »
I like the fact you personally know the owner.

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »
I like the fact you personally know the owner.
The guy is super honest and super conscientious. I did not know him before I bought a drill from him and discussed some design details. Mark is very interested in customer input. Throughout the process we became friends.
I don't receive anything for advocating his products. I am not paid in any way.
That being said...I have not tried his pruners yet, so I have no opinion on their quality. This is just an overall statement on the Treehopper company and owner.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©