3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Youth Longbow recommendation  (Read 1048 times)

Offline JOLLYMON

• Trad Bowhunter
Youth Longbow recommendation
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
I am looking for longbows for two thirteen year old boys.  Their dad was killed in a car accident in January.  They are good friends with my daughter and have been enjoying shooting with us.  They like my longbow.  They are already 6' tall and are projected to hit 6' 4".  Looking for something in the 35# range.  Any recommendations for a decent bow in the $200 range. 

Thanks

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Youth Longbow recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:49 PM »
You need to phone Mike at Maddog Archery. Very respectable and loves younguns with enthusiasm for our sport!

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:28:25 PM »
I have a Maddog youth longbow- very nice.  For your bigger/taller friends you might look at the Gallaxy Black Ridge Hybrid longbow, 62", 30# and up, from Lancaster, under $200. 
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:45:13 AM »
You need to phone Mike at Maddog Archery. Very respectable and loves younguns with enthusiasm for our sport!

Mike makes a great bow with his pup longbow, I have bought 3 over the years and still have them even though the kids outgrew them very quickly. They can only be drawn to 24 or 26".  With a 13 y/o that is 6' tall, I don't think he can make one within your price range to fit their growing needs @ 13, they are just starting their grown spurt.  a 48" kid bow will not fit this bill for very long.. The next bow up is the prairie predator, but at $300 or so it appears out of your price range.

not certain if you were wanting 1 bow for both of them at $200, or 2 bows at $200 each.

My recommendation would be the Black Hunter Takedown 30-35#. $129 each shipped from the manufacturer, sometimes cheaper other places. 
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline JOLLYMON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:03:31 AM »
Thank you everyone for the ideas.

Offline JOLLYMON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 08:28:58 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm looking at the Galaxy black ridge.  It comes in a 62" and 70" length.  These guys are going to be tall, most likely with a longer draw length.  Would the 62" be to short for them and start stacking?  At this point they are not hunting so length should not be a problem.   Hopefully they will be hunting in the future.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©