3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on gold top vs dark timber shafts  (Read 3954 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on gold top vs dark timber shafts
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:26:46 PM »
Was just curious if anyone has used both of these shafts and had a opinjon on which one they liked beat...

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on gold top vs dark timber shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:40:52 PM »
anchorman, I don't want to keep anyone from giving their opinion here.. in fact I would like to hear them.  Other than the specs, I'm constantly talking with the manufacturer on ways  to improve the options for the Dark Timbers and if there is constructive criticism to be had.. as I said, I would like to hear it.

I have personally been shooting these nearly a year and have been extremely happy with them. Oh yes, I have had them make some alterations for the better, but there's always room for improvement.

I have sold tens of thousands of Gold Tip shafts and find them to be a very good shaft. I also don't claim the Dark Timbers to be better than any shafts out there, but feel they are as good.
I wouldn't have invested so deeply If I didn't feel so.

Thanks, BigJim

http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Modad2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
I just got a couple - 1 each of a 600 and 700 - to try out on a particular bow. Haven't had a chance to trim and see which spine the bow likes yet, but I really like the color and finish. I have been shooting Beman Centershots and the color of them (kind of a greenish hued yellow) drives me nuts. I can't wait to find out which spine the bow likes so I can order a dozen and get 'em fletched up. I saw the video Big Jim did and will say the shaft seems able to take some punishment.
You can fix stupid.......but it's gonna hurt!

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:38:45 AM »
I'm no expert on carbon shafts since I've only been using carbon for a few years.
I've been shooting the GT traditional 600s and they are a good shaft IMO.
I recently received some Dark Timber 600s and so far I'm impressed with the quality of the finish and in the finish area I think the DT are better.
Time will tell as far as durability goes but they seem very solid..Also, the DT seem to be quieter for some reason..Not sure why since the weight is close to the GT.
I'm shooting a 29 1/4 shaft out of a 45 lb recurve with low stretch string.
225 weight up front.
Either GT or DT are good shafts but so far I like the DT better.

huntryx

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:59:34 AM »
My opinion is trust Big Jim to be striving to make things of high quality.  I am sure his Dark Timbers are as good or better than anything out there.  Will be buying some as soon as I use up all the blems I have !

huntryx

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 07:00:55 AM »
My opinion is: Trust Big Jim to deliver a quality product.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:12:03 AM »
I owe big him a apology as I wasn't trying to start anything. I was just curious as how they compared. Looking back I probably shouldn't have posted here as my intention was not to start any issues for sure.....

Moderators if possible remove this post

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »
anchorman, there's no apologies necessary. It is anyone's right to research before a purchase. I felt bad about posting, thinking that it may keep others from replying, but it appeared that no one had replied.

I'm a big boy... in more ways than one and I can take it! Besides, every time I re order,  I'm making a huge investment... like money I could use for many Alaska hunts. I wan't the shafts to be what my customers want. It's much easier to sell quality, than to sell junk.
NO need to remove this thread.

Thanks, BigJim

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »
I've been using the 600 version of the DT shafts for a short while.  So far everything is going well. One observation is the inserts that came with the shafts feel 'loose' during the installation with the low temp (blue) hot melt.  With GT shafts and inserts, there is a small amount of resistance during the last eighth of an inch of movement just before the collar of the insert contacts the end of the shaft.  This small amount of press fit makes it easy for me to unscrew the point insertion tool I use before things have cooled down.  With the DT shafts, the inserts go in loose all the way to the collar and are so loose I cannot simply unscrew the insertion tool--turning the tool also rotates the insert.  Instead, I have to grab the end of the shaft and insert with a pair of pliers, and then unscrew the tool. Or let things cool down.  Not saying this is a shaft issue, could be undersized inserts. But it's annoying.  So far, the inserts stay put after cooling.  None have pulled out in targets, etc.  Seen anything like this, Big Jim?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:48:31 AM by George Vernon »

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 09:26:49 AM »
Hey George, the inserts that come with the Dark Timbers are sized to fit all of the diameters from 340-800. This is in an effort to simplify things and allow guys to use there hardware on different spines if they change. Some spines are quite tight and others fit looser. I wouldn't say they are so loose as to not allow proper alignment though.

The standard brass that was around before Gold tip came out with a "specific" brass was done the same. It was sized at .244 and would work all shafts from .244 to .246.

I have never used the blue glue and have heard mixed results... although everything has mixed results. I'm just saying that when we install, our hot melt cools so quickly that after a spin or two inside the shaft, and it starts to set. Plus, we don't ever screw the tool, or field point all the way into the insert. Only takes a half turn to remove the tool.
Thanks, BigJim

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
Big Jim,
Thanks for the response.  There may be some confusion in my initial post.  I don't use blue glue.  I do use the low temperature hot melt that comes as a blue stick.  Much easier to use than the traditional hot melt.

Like many things in archery, we all have personal preferences.  I prefer to have an insert that has a small amount of 'press fit' pressure required.  It helps guarantee alignment and speeds up the process I prefer to use when installing inserts.  I appreciate the description of the process you use.  Like you, I engage only enough of the insertion tool threads to keep control of the insert.  Probably a half turn or so.  Even with that small engagement the insert moves when I try to unscrew the tool.  I've grown accustomed to waiting a bit for things to cool down.  I have done a 'run out' check with my favorite broadheads using a set up on my lathe.  The loose fitting inserts in my 600 DT shafts have a bit more than twice the run out measured with 600 GT and appropriate inserts.  Have not tried shooting the broadheads so I don't know at this point if the increased run out causes problems. 

Hope you understand I'm trying to factually respond to the OP question on what are the differences seen on Gold Tips vs. Dark Timber.  I'll let you know if I find anything else.  At the current price point of the GT and DT, I think the DT is a clear winner.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
Hey George, I'm cool with the assessment.  Not sure if they can tighten that up without changing weights and spine but I will ask them. I doubt that kind of difference will affect any arrow flight. Worth a test.

Thanks, Bigjim

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »
Finally--- great little wood grain shafts in appropriate gpi in 700 and 800 spine.  Im a big fan of these.  Big Jim understands spine and is very much in tune with helping people get arrows properly matched to their bows.  The DT nocks seem to have been made for the strings i use-- a nice bonus.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©