3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Footing carbons  (Read 1483 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Footing carbons
« on: May 29, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »
I’m planning on trying some new carbons and footing them. Easton’s.
My main question is what glue/epoxy has worked best for you?

Also when shooting bag type targets does that aluminum footer hang up in bag targets when pulling them? I do plan on putting a bevel on both ends.

Or if you have any other tips. Thanks guys  :shaka:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Footing carbons
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
I have used 2 part epoxy before.  But lately i i use only big jims hot melt.  I have yet to have one come loose, yet i can warm it up and remove for tuning purposes if desired.  I chamfer the footings inside and out with a reloading chamfer tool for a smooth transition that doesn't hang up in target.
Before gluing i lightly scuff up shaft w 180 grit paper to aid adhesion.  Hope this helps sir.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »
I use golf shaft epoxy. It’s a slow cure but it’s made to take shock. I haven’t tried the hot melts as yet. I chamfer the back end as well. I also rough up the shaft and inside of foot. I try and get the foot all the way to the front of shaft unless the insert is larger than shaft. Then I butt the foot up to it.
 Footing helps but I have had a few break anyway right behind the foot. It’s usually those long shots where the arrow impacts on the cement base that cause the breakage.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 01:49:31 AM »
Slo cure epoxy or even araldite works.  If not chamfered then the footing will tear up all targets bag and foam
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 01:58:51 AM »
I have been using JB Weld for years and it has never failed me. it will set the footing like concrete, but of course is permanent.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 07:27:35 AM »
I have been using JB Weld for years and it has never failed me. it will set the footing like concrete, but of course is permanent.

x2

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 08:04:55 AM »
Epoxy or any brand of insert glue will work fine. Even hot melt. On another note, in my experience some Easton made shafts snap no matter what you do to them. Some of the wood grain shafts made from Eason/Beman will not tolerate any side impact at all and are quick to blow out an insert with any angled impact. It's particularly noticeable when you get heavy points out front. But then I read on here how those same shafts are awesome and tough. So maybe it's just the ones I buy.
 2 bucks lost in 2 years. The last one located right in front of the house 3 days later when the corn was picked.

I have found with some arrow shaft choices you really don't need to foot them. They are incredibly tough.These Black Eagle are one of them. With the long 100 grain insert it seems like a footing is unnecessary for but the most brutal stumping sessions.

Tedd

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 10:21:34 AM »
I agree with the easton axis and beman ics breaking (more for the beman even after 100 grain insert and footing ). The black eagles have not been super durable on foam and stumps though. Consistent yes , durable no.
Will let you know how their premium shafts , the carnivores hold up.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

GCook

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
The Vintage shafts are tough.  Worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
The Vintage shafts are tough.  Worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That's what i heard, might be a bum batch that i got. black eagle has a rep for consistency not durability. that said i am putting my money with them again. got the carnivores for a .244 id and low GPI. according to goldtip foc calculator i will be at 22.5 % foc with a direct bond system and a 190 tuffhead. planning to not foot them (the targets get chewed up real bad) and lets see how we wind up.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 12:19:04 AM »
I don't like them for bag targets. Even though I tapered the front and bag edges they still hang up in my bag target. Harder to pull and hard on the target. Ken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©