3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long did it take you?  (Read 948 times)

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
How long did it take you?
« on: April 05, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
This is a Question for the archers who are accomplished shots.
You guys know who you are. I'll not name names just because might would leave someone out , or might include someone who isn't.
I'm speaking only from what Iv'e seen on vid clips and from what I've gathered from reading posts here.
********How long did it take you to get where you are as an archer?************************
You know--- walk out the door and nail your first shot at any distance,no doubts. Or sitting on stand all day to see that nice buck walk out at 25yrd and knowing your arrow will fly straight and true. NO DOUBTS.
Iv'e been at this for 3yrs and was better and more confident my firt 6 months than I am now.
How long did it take you?  :campfire:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long did it take you?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
I'll let you know...

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
I'll let you know after Shaun.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
The thing is you have to have confidence no matter how long you've been shooting.On the other hand, no matter how good you are there is always the chance of a miss.I think that is part of the allure of the sport.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
Confidence and ability are two different things. Yet, you must be confident in your shooting ability. I have been shoot since I was 7 and I'm 44 now. It's a ebb and flow thing. Some days your dead nuts on, other days you can't hit the ground. Been there hoss. Sounds like you may be in a rut. You add a new bow/equipment into your shooting? I'm a decent shot but hand me the wrong bow and I'm all over the place. One piece of advise I can give you is to be consitant. Use the same rhythm on your pre shot sequence, hit the same anchor point and be a statue on release untill the arrow impacts the target. Lots of folks drop their bow arm, lift their head, short draw,ect,ect that gets them all bungered up. Reassess what going on with your shooting or shoot with someone experanced who can point out flaws and get you back on track. Hang in there. You'll be splitting arrows before you know it   :thumbsup:  

PS: Don't think too much. Second guessing everything (hard not to do when your in a rut,I know) isn't going to get you anywhere but frustrated.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
JL,

Today you are “dead nuts on.”  Good advise.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
the process of shooting a bow is no different than developing a good golf swing. Its has to be ingrained into one of the most natural things you do. you can do this by learning the right fundamentals early and repeating them everytime you make a shot.
 Just watch some of the great archers and golfers of our time, taking a shot or swing looks as natural as eating. And when things are off for them they know what to do to correct it, thats the most important part.
 I started shooting at the age of 9 and am now 48 and still dont consider myself one of the people your talking about, being a human is going to be the biggest hold back to getting where you want to be, so do'nt think these Legends and you are'nt going to still have some bad days.
 It takes years to develop what you looking for, try getting some of the great videos that are offered and watch them over and over, we have some really good ones out there that show it right.

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
2 seconds.

Came as a helluva shock when I missed with m' first arrow.

:D  :D  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Hey Robert... JL and Silver Tip are right on target. I've been at this Trad Stuff for almost nine years and still learning. Started with an entry level recurve and had alot of fun. Then got myself a high end super bow and my shooting fell off the deep end... Guess I was tryin' too hard and not having fun. That means alot in trad archery. Don't brain overload. Shoot at bumble bees and see how close ya get!

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Been at it 38 years, better than some, worse than a lot more.  It is a labor of love or we wouldn't do it.  Just have fun.  When the shot feels right, let 'er rip.    :thumbsup:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
"And when things are off for them they know what to do to correct it, thats the most important part." Quoted from Silvertip.
I think that about hits the nail on the head. Everyone will have bad days, to be able to know what is going wrong and correct it is the key to good consistant shooting. Usually simple things some of my "demons" are Plucking,Dropping the bow arm,not pushing with the bow arm,Not putting even tension on all three drawing fingers,not picking a spot etc.
 I shot quite a bit for 3 years before I felt confident enough to hunt with trad and then it was 15 yards max,been at now for 15+ years and now am up to 20 yards max. Prefer much less.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
It depends if my mental game is on. If I have complete concentration on target, and don't think about the shot, it goes right there. My max range is 15 yards, but on some days I hit the 20 yarder, but not enough to take a shot at game, I would prefer 13 yards or less. Hope to have it up to 15 yards by Deer season. Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Thing is fellas, two years ago I was deadly at any reasonable range. I slayed hogs all summer that year from 5 to 35 yards. I always expected to kill what I was shooting at. I would practice up to 70 yards, just cause I could, wasn't suprised when I would drill my target dead center.
Now I can't get good enough flight to be consistant at any range with any bow. I even took a year off from trad gear hoping that would help, but it hasn't.
I've bareshafted, shot BH and FT together and have payed hundreds of dollars in shafts to find the solution. Critiqued my form to death and shot and shot and shot.
How in the heck does someone lose that kind of accuracy and can't find it again after two years?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
You were better at 6 months because you were excited and had confidence.

Imagine being in the "on deck circle" and seeing Nolan Ryan out there on the mound. Whats your thought process...99 mph fastball...I'll never hit it...and you won't.

If you let any negative thoughts enter your mind and I don't care what activity it is, you will never be sucessful or accomplish your goal. Every time I draw on an animal or a small leaf in my backyard, my thought is...your dead. If I didn't think that....that means my mind is not into it. Time to regroup and start over.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Have you seen a coach? Nothing better than having someone with you to watch and pick up the little thing you missed.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
I agree with vermonster13, I spent 6-7 years just shooting arrows with no big improvement.  I wasn't a bad shot relative to many trad archers but still far from being good.

It wasn't until I really started paying attention, and asking questions, of guys who were good until I started to see real improvement.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a fellow from Ft.Worth who could really shoot.  He suggested spending some time with a light weight bow and developing good form and a clean release.  I spent the spring and most of the summer one year with a 40# bow and the end result was that I was much more accurate and consistent.  On top of that my draw length increase 1.5" and that has carried over to shooting heavier bows.

I don't think I'll ever be a great or really good bow shot but I did see real improvement when I really got serious about shooting a bow.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
dont shoot so many arrows ...shoot 1-3 then pull from ur practice target...and slow down quality better than quanity...close end work for form...good luck ,marco
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm not there yet. I don't know if I ever will be but I'm having a ton of fun trying to get there. I seem to shoot better with more experianced shooters. I watch their forms and ask a lot of questions. But the most important thing for me is to have as much fun as possible.

Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Probably just need to get used to that new Chekmate, Robert.  Or it could be you never posted pictures of it on here, so now the Man-Law Gods are P.O.'d at you.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I think Bmoeller may have the answer. LOL I'll get that done tomorrow.
I did drop wieght---11 lbs. I guess I'm a perfectionist when it comes to archery. I would practice for hours on end in the compound days, even after20yrs.
Funny thing is I can still hit somehow. It's the less than perfect arrow flight that's killin me. I know if I can get the flight right the accuracy will improve.
I had to use a compound last season while waiting for my Chek-Mate. Every time I drew on a deer it took me about five sec. to get the cant out of the bow and find the pins!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©