3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40588 times)

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Guys, when you cross the border have Hill Boy hog tied so he can not speak. I thought he was gonna get me and Brad throwed in jail when he said he had been arrested. Talk about getting a look from Canadian customs. Then the twenty questions started. What a relief when they finally let us go.

Seriously with him and Bob Walker in camp it will be a hoot. Wish I was comming.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Yup thats about the normal for me..few drinks some huges few more drinks more huges and kisses few more drinks...the grooping starts..another drink and...bam the fights on....Just ask my wife...Thats why I give up drinking....I got tired of getting the crap beat out of me everytime I got hosed.So now I just do the huges........bowdoc

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Don will never let me live that one down.Make no mistake about it the look on Brad and Don's face assured me that if there was a problem they would not hesitate to leave Me at the border. :help:All friendships end at the border was the message that rang loud and clear.   :bigsmyl:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
AWE now Mike, we would of picked you up on the way back.  :biglaugh:
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
your all heart Don!  :biglaugh:

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
Doing some packing this weekend.Do I need my leafy wear?How heavy of bedding will be neccessary?These cabins do have heat don't they?I mean there is cabins Right?  :confused:  Any packing tips from you guy's in on last years hunt would be appreciated.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
With 16 in camp I hope there are several or one very big one at least.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Several cabins, Usually two rooms with bunks in each + a small kitchen and bathroom for each cabin. Bunk beds, but comfortable, I think we had 5-6 guys in each cabin and then Tom has a wall tent too. Mike, I take my sleeping bag with me no matter what...but that's just me...I'm comfortable in it in just about any temp so I don't think about other bedding. I roll up my clothes for a pillow to cut down on bulk. Between the adrenalin dump of coming down after watching bears on the bait, a good hot meal and a late night campfire sit, I slept like a rock every night. You could have propped me in the corner and I would have been out. Take earplugs if you are a light sleeper, some of us going are world class snoring champs.

Definately take rain gear, I always have some wool too because I get cold easy. Temps range from low seventys to low 30's, bright sun to pouring rain. Most of the time, it was very comfortable though with low 40's to high 60's with a light breeze, partly cloudy.

Just whatever you do, make sure you have at least one working thermacell and extra pads/cartridges shipped up to Tom. I can hunt cold, and even wet, but it's hard to stay on the stand when you get light headed from blood loss  :readit:  Number 2 priority is practice those close shots sitting. Those are the two best pieces of advice I can give you from my experience there.

Leafy wear may help, but, the bears know you are there. No matter what, them jokers smell you...at least most of the time they do. They have such a great nose I just don't see how they couldn't. The thing is, they just don't always associate the smell with danger cause it's all over the bait too. I think the camo helps to make them more at ease, but don't think you are really "hiding" from them, at least imho.

Holler at Tom, he may have a list of things he recommends to bring. I pack pretty much as I do any out of town fall hunt, just maybe a bit lighter to get all bows and clothes into two bags and a carry-on.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Thanks Joe  helps a lot for us virgins.Couple of questions.How about binos any need or use for them and how many sets of hunting clothes should I pack.I was thinking 3-4 sets just don't know how humid it gets in June up there.In La. I would need about 10 pair with our heat and humidity.I recommend everyone  find a bed far from mine if possible at least my wife recommends it but what does she know been sleeping with me for almost 36 years.Kip

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
We won't be staying in the small cabins this year JC. Most of us will be staying in the main cabin (below-hey, I just noted that's me on the porch)    :D     that was booked last year, the rest in a large RV.        
It has a little beach where we have bonfires and sits on a little inlet. It will be a little cramped with I think 3 to a small room but we will manage and probably have an outdoor common eating area I suspect (correct me if I''m wrong Tom).

The woods are more like "Brazilian rain forest" so I personally don't see much use for binocs there but I always have a small monocular or something and there is lots of nice scenery around when not hunting to do some glassin'.
It's been hot but not so humid that you need many sets of hunting clothes.
I have temps for La Tuque-it's going to rain all this week with a high of 67 and in the late 30's everynight with a low of 32 but we have a few weeks yet. I'll update everybody before we leave on the 6th.
JC is right on on the sleeping-I think all of us slept like a rock!
Looking forward to seeing you all up there!!!       :jumper:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
NRA Life Member

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
goooollleeee I can't wait! :jumper:good info guys. Sooo they really no were there uh  :eek:

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
hill boy,
Last year my bear came RIGHT to my tree and looked directly up at me! I saw him look at me from the crest of a hill that was higher than my treestand then come right over to me without a second's pause! He proceeded to chase everything out of there that tried to come in from all directions. Definitely a memorable hunt!      :scared:
NRA Life Member

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
From that one pic it looks like your so low they wouldn't have to climb!  Stand on their back legs and taste test your toes.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
I agree. They know you're there. They think they're dominant and you're a treed subordinate. Therefore they tolerate you... until you sink one to the feathers. bw

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
Really?  Anyone ever sit out there in all black and test that theory?  Might prove worth while.  Any volunteers?    :bigsmyl:

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
Could provide some interesting video!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
I'll video it for you bowdude!   :bigsmyl:
NRA Life Member

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Yup, Steve has it right, it's like a rainforest...something out of "Lord of the Rings":

That's a bear trial, not a human built path in the last picture. I saw the big cabin last year but just assumed we'd be in the smaller ones we were in last year.

Kip, I usually only take 2-3 changes when in a camp with a shower...I wash my clothes while taking a shower with the same unscented soap I use on my body and hang them to dry. That way I don't have to carry more than I'll need...though always still end up taking too much. And in this case, the cleaning is more for your benefit than the bears...I'm sure their nose is better than a deer's.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
I can smell the roses and food cooking now girls.Bowdude I do not wear camo clothing at all.And a couple years ago while in Que'bec.I was wearing my green Filson jacket and a pair of Levis.I had a very large bear come into the bait..Problem being it was right until my tree stand and I was waiting for a good shot...When all of the sudden it just bolted out of there like you would not believe.I figured Mr.Big was on his way in and things were about to heat up.But nope Mrs.small came in instead and things did heat up fast too...A 150 pound female...I nic-named her hairless right before I arrowed her.She thought she treed the other bear as Barry mentioned.And for about 6-10 minutes she would stand on her hind legs 4-6 feet from the stand...popping her teeth and makeing a woofing barking like sound at me.At one point,I must admit I was a little unsure.I really never figured out if she thought I was the other bear or if she could hear my knee knocking and knew she tree'd some guy from Seattle...se ya all real soon,bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©