3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40542 times)

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Man I never killed a bear yet and you'all gonna make me hold out for the big one for all the goodies.Nice stuf  guys.Will not be long now.Kip

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Booooooooo-yaaaaaaaaaaaaa...bowdoc

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
Interesting facts Barry. IIII'llll.... kkkeeeppp... ttthemmmm.... in mmminddd....

Name came from Belguim. The folks at Ellis Island shortened it considerably.

Ya got that right Bowdoc.............

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Okay.. I feel bad about not fessing up to you guys about the special bow I'll be using on this hunt. This is some pretty heavy stuff, so please bear with me (no pun intended). As a lot of you know, the late Paul Schafer was one of my best friends. Similar to many of us, when Paul went on a hunt he took a back-up/spare bow with him just in case. He specifically built this bow for himself but to also loan out to friends in camp who might need an extra. So he "only" made it #70 lbs. @ 28" so everyone could handle it. When Paul died in his accident in '93, good friend Rosey Roseland of Montana had the bow in his possession at the time. Here's where it gets heavy. Rosey had a friend from Iowa, named Mike Bentler, who had just ordered a bow from Schaf. Paul died before he finished Mike's bow. So Rosey (being Rosey) sent Paul's personal bow to Mike as a token of friendship. I moved to Iowa in '99 and although I lived only fifteen miles from Mike, I never got to meet the man. On October 15, 2006, Mike Bentler, is wife and all three daughters were mass murdered at their home in the middle of the night. Their only son, Shawn, was convicted of murdering his own family and sentenced to five life sentences without parole. Allegedly the brutal murders were committed so he could inherit his folks approximate three million dollar estate. Anyone interested can just google up Mike Bentler. After the murders, remaining relatives had a public auction of the Bentler family items. I stopped by knowing he had one of Schaf's bows. I didn't see it and inquired to one of the family members. No one knew anything about the bow. I left and pretty much forgot about it. Then last summer, while back in New Hampshire, I received a box from UPS. It was from Rosey. In it was a letter saying the Bentler family had located the bow and mailed it back where it came from. Rosey knew about my fire in '99 where I lost six of my Schafer bows. Rosey's letter said Paul would want me to have it. Yes, there are still good people in this world. So there you go. It's one of my most prized possessions. This will be the first time I've ever hunted with it. The bow was probably made in the mid '80s by Paul and obviously has a lot of miles on it. Those miles have created character and individuality in the bow. And I'm proud to share it with you guys. Thanks. bw

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
What about us that can't shoot either handed?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Wow Barry that's cool. Some of it anyway, you know what I mean. There are good people left in this world and a lot of them hang out here. You just helped me make up my mind about my "backup" for this trip. I was going to bring a Morrison but I think now I'll bring my old Tip too. I'm sure you have a million stories and I'd love to hear some of them around the camp fire.   :thumbsup:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Barry   WOW!!!  Don't know what to say.What a story.Kip

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Special bow indeed!!!!!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Geez!!!  Only a week to work up to shooting 70 lbs.  I'll have to find a stiff arrow, too.  Thanks Barry.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Barry, That is a very cool story. I'm sorry I won't be in the 1st group to pull it 1/2 way back  :D  I was kidding about the Knife for just the 2nd group.  It is for the Biggest bear & I hope it comes from Paul's bow...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
Bows will be in camp 2nd week.Be cool to have someone get their bear with either. Don't have any woods spined light enough but the longer bow likes 500 carbons with a 175gr head.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: May 31, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Carbon out of a boo backed?!!?? You and me's gonna get along jest fine Paul   :bigsmyl:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: May 31, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
I'll be very honored to shoot such a bow and thank you Barry for letting us!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: May 31, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I've read and heard some incredible stories from you Barry, but I think that one tops them all!  Unbelievably sad and heartwarming all it the same story.

That is indeed a special bow, I'm sure glad it turned up in your hands.  I hope we getto camp before you leave - maybe I can get 25" out of it!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: May 31, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Bittersweet to say the least....Uncle Barry I will be unable to bend the string much less the limbs.But thank you so much for the offer....bowdoc

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: May 31, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Paul, You can still qualify for Team Tippit.

Requirements:

1) Selfbow...BBO legal entry  :)

2) Tippit Forged Trade Point....just so happens that I have one mounted to a Beman ICS Hunter 500  :eek:  It already passed the destruction test.  Single left hand bevel, 250 grains, and left wing feathers.  If you want, It's yours...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Also finished up my trial Bear Blades.  These will be headed North in a few weeks, even color coordinated  :D  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Just put my name on the second knife up from the bottom.......see ya soon,bowdoc

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
I love the one with the orange cord handle. bw

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
Be an honor to join your team Jeff. Been rehabing my shoulder with a 50# single carbon experimental T/D longbow.My Bamboo backed bows are feeling neglected.I'll take the one you shot at the White mountain shoot last year out for a walk on the 3D course tomorrow.

Barry

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©