3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40502 times)

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
here is a picture of my bear taken on the last nite. I shot it with a recurve that I made the week before the hunt, my first one, the finish was still wet on it when I packed it, but it worked great.

PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
brent don't even think about apologizing ! no problem at all !
PBS regular Member,
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Great stories and pics. Thanks for sharing.. I do love to bear hunt.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
I arrived at Bob's house Friday the 6th around 7:30 AM and we packed my gear in his 4runner and were off. We fueled up and drove to Albany to pick up Hillboy from the airport, then we were on our way to Tom's. At Tom's introductions were in order, a handshake and a cup of coffee. A few stories were told and the ride to the border was about to happen.  We crossed the border without incident although Border Bob was fidgeting a bit with a grin on his face.

We arrived in Latuque mid morning and finished up licensing requirements and ate breakfast. It had been a long trip but everyone was excited and anxious to get the ball rolling.

After about 45 minutes of riding up a dirt road dodging logging trucks and canuck traffic we turned onto the road to our camp.  As little did I know I was about to meet some of the FINEST gents I have ever had the opportunity to hunt with.  Eric, Tom, Lloyd, Allen and Bowdoc really had set the stage for an awesome hunt and all around great time.  :readit:    more later
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
AW! Come on Ron don't Charlie Lamb us! Give us a story.   :campfire:    :campfire:
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #405 on: June 15, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
A few guys went out that evening to hunt but several decided to get things unpacked and get rested up after a LONG trip up.
 Sunday morning arrived in a blink of an eye and it was time to check stand sites and get a game plan. Things were looking GOOD. My stand was called the Grouper and I parked about 200 yards from my stand and slowly walked up the road looking at fresh moose and bear tracks.  As I entered the bush I slowly crept up the trail towards my tree and there was a bear already at the crib.  :eek:   She noticed something wasnt right but wasnt sure what I was. Here I am squatting down with an arrow nocked wondering how this is going to go down. After about 5 minutes I decided I may be able to take a few pictures. I was getting eat alive by mosquitoes and black flies as I had not turned my thermacell on yet and wasnt comfortable trying to do so now.  :banghead:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #406 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Nice pics Tom.

Good start to what I know is going to be a good bunch of readin for awhile, Ron. I was fortunate to have met a bunch of those same folks last year at ETAR, camping with Doc and the gang. Quality folks for sure!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #407 on: June 15, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
These pics were taken while my feet were on the ground and the bear was about twenty yards from me.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #408 on: June 15, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
As I was taking pics and relaxing a bit I heard something behind me. Slowly turning my head and fearing the worst I see a grouse. LOL HHMMMM  Eyes back on the bear Boy!!  

I am taking a few more pictures of her and watching her through the view screen of my camera when again I hear a noise and look up from the camera to see a cub about 6 yards from me...

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #409 on: June 15, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Uh-oh!   :scared:
Did you live?  :confused:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #410 on: June 15, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Talk about pucker factor!!!!  Glad I wasnt eating Curvemans chili at the time. I must have jumped a bit in shock at the site of the cub and I still havent figured out which of us was the most surprised., the little fella let out a woof and hauled it back towards momma and out of site they went.  Wiping sweat beads off my brow and swatting mosquitoes now I could get in my stand.

I climb up and sit down and get the Thermacell going. WHEW  That was a close one. My stand is only about 5 and half feet off the ground and I am begining to re-think this., wondering if I will make it home. LOL

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #411 on: June 16, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
I just knew NOT to open this thread before WORK! Get stuff guys I'l be back for 2nds tonight.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #412 on: June 16, 2008, 08:09:00 AM »
Hey guys-just hit the office. Good to see you all made it home safe,Brent,Thomas, and Ron. I'll get my pictures downloaded and the tale started soon. For everyone who wasn't there, this was an experience too great to tell hastily. Absolutely the best group of hunters and the most ideal surroundings anyone could hope for. Fletcher, Hogdancer, and I hunted the water stands most of the week and it was almost like living a dream. Not a man here I wouldn'y hunt anything with anytime or anywhere. I'll catch up with this as soon as I catch up on my livlihood.                            Grant

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #413 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Gee Thomas...that looks an awful lot like a Swamprooter limb.........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Biggie, it's a Swamprooter knock off  :confused:
PBS regular Member,

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #415 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
I’m going to market that chili Ron as “a hidden bear spray that no one will know you have!”     :)    

I passed on a couple of average to above size bears after I spotted two large bears with pumpkin heads on the Long Trail stand and become determined to take a big kahuna this time. After two more nights of smaller bears that didn’t linger, I decide to switch locations.

I thought my Long Trail stand from last year was close to the bait and low. Tommy informed me however that there is: “the closet stand in camp!” available that Bowdoc saw a honker on. He says it is no more than 3 yards away from the shot. (“Man, I saw that set up when we were baiting and you can reach out and stir the bait from that stand!” was one comment, *#!@! that!" was another).    :scared:     Just to make sure I’d have a heart attack he circled around and stood up twice to look DOWN on my stand!!!     :scared:        :scared:        :scared:    I confess that for a moment I truly did not want him to come in but when I came to I pushed back that thought and decided to wait for him to come closer and turn for a shot.

So I have a bear to the left of me just feet away and Godzilla to my right at 10 yards. “Junior” and Godzilla dance around each other a bit before Junior gives a wide birth then Godzilla looks right at me while standing one more time and goes over the hill from which he came then who knows where. After another 15-20 minutes or so I decide to take Junior who is now back in front of me and hopefully get out of there but as I am drawing I confess I had to look over my shoulder (sorry, couldn’t help it)! Junior, now even more nervous undoubtedly about being chomped on himself, decides to vacate the premises and goes up a steep hill. I wait until dark and slip out on a bear trail being somehow mindful that I have no idea where Godzilla is. I wait in the dark to get picked up. FUN!!! Next and last night I go back and nothing comes in!

I have to add though that the best part of the whole experience for me was sharing a truly enjoyable camp with a great bunch of guys that I thought I knew already from the Tradgang community! It was quite a pleasure to meet them all in person and get to know them even better!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #416 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
Hey Steve, that sounds like a song....

Bear to the left of me
Godzilla to my right
here I am
stuck in the middle with food....

:biglaugh:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #417 on: June 16, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
:biglaugh:  It was great hunting with you Brent!
NRA Life Member

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #418 on: June 16, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
I have an idea !  let's do it again next year !
PBS regular Member,

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #419 on: June 16, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Hey Tom! Let's all sign up now!   :)
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©