3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40499 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #460 on: June 18, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Here is a pic of a special bear and I'll let the shooter talk about this one...

>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: June 18, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Some Moose Tracks...

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: June 19, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Hey all, has anyone heard from group 2? Part of me is wondering how they are doing, the other part of me want to know who fell for the plunger joke....

:biglaugh:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: June 19, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Great stories and pics guys. What about that left handed Sheep Eater that caught my eye?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: June 19, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
You'll have to wait for that story here in a week or so Skyler... Trust me it will be worth it!

Brent, LOL  That was a good one, wonder who the victim was this time??

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: June 19, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Hey, does anyone have the GPS coordinates for camp? I wanted to see if I could find it on Google earth. PM if you have it.

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: June 20, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
We got JC one of those Spot's from Cabelas for fathers day just in time for this trip. Here is one of the "OK" messages I got from him. You can copy the link and use it to see the location. It is pretty cool. It also has a tab where you can see a topo map!
Hope this helps.....

SPOT Check OK.  
ESN:0-7380381
Latitude:47.8764
Longitude:-73.0156
Nearest Location: La Croche, Canada
Distance: 37 km(s)
Time:06/16/2008 21:58:55 (US/Eastern)

I have not heard from JC....thought they would have run out of beverages or wanted a $30 pizza by now!  :wavey:

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: June 20, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Thank you Miss Kim! You know, I forgot to ask JC where the cookies for week one were when we saw him in LaTuque. He was so excited he was jumping around like a kid waiting for his first roller coaster ride. Either that or it had been a really long ride and he needed to find a bathroom.  :D

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Here's some camp life photos from week 1.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: June 20, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Like the others have said, this was a great group to hunt and "camp" with and the Bear Quest Team had done a great job of getting things ready for us.  We all arrived as excited as we were tired from the all night drive.  There was some socializing and gear readying and unpacking going on and pretty quick it was time to check the baits.  Fred and I took off with Lloyd in the green boat and went to the Raptor and Blowdown stands.  Both had been hit, but Raptor looked the best.  We freshened the baits and returned to camp to finish unpacking and get some rest.  As hunt time approached, most decided to stay in camp and rest up, but after waiting all these years, I couldn't not go.  I figured I could at least get my stand set up with a hanger and video mount for the next day's hunt.  Thomas "Hogdancer" Burns ran me out to the landing spot and I climbed up the hill to the Raptor stand, got things set up and settled in.  It was tough to keep from nodding off until about 5:30 when I saw something black moving toward me thru the brush.  All of a sudden, I was AWAKE!  My first ever sit on a bear stand and I have a bear in already!  He slipped in cautiously, grabbed a piece of meat and headed back up the hill with his prize.  I can't tell you how alive I felt.  He didn't seem big, but had a nice round head and a beautiful coat.  I named him "Boo Boo".  He returned a little while later for another grab and run, this time getting a big piece.  Before long, I see another bear coming in.  This one seemed bigger and went for the sweets.  It laid there with it's head in the bucket for several minutes, when I see Boo Boo coming back down the hill again.  The bigger bear got up from the barrel and started to leave before seeing Boo Boo up the hill.  Both froze for a moment, then the bigger bear started woofing and chased poor Boo Boo crashing up the hill.  I could hear them carrying on for a few minutes before it all quieted down again.  Another bigger bear came down, but circled around to the west about 30 yards out and never came in.  Some time later Boo Boo returned, this time slowly circling around behind me before finally coming in, right under the stand.  He headed up to the bait, grabbed another hunk of the meat and left going up the hill.  I sat a bit longer, but it was starting to get dark and after four plus hours, I figured I couldn't handle any more excitement without wetting my pants so I climbed down and quietly made my way back down to the lake and waited for Thomas to pick me up.  It seemed late when I finally heard a boat getting closer, but it wasn't coming from camp.  A quick flash from my light brought an answer from the boat and they headed my way.  As it turned out, neither Thomas nor Grant could sit in camp either and had headed out to their chosen stands.  We headed back in, very tired and very excited.  I slept great that night.

I'll try to figure out how to get some video of Boo Boo and the chase posted up here.  Rick

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: June 21, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
Here's a few more pics from week 1.

"Border Bob" Walker, dressed to kill.

Thomas "Hogdancer" Burns heading out from the Cove Stand

Allen and Brent at the Moose Path

Sunset over Reservoir Blanc

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: June 21, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
Great pics and stories so far. As everyone has pointed out this was one fantatic hunt! Everything was A+: plenty of bears, great food, nice camp and a great group of guys to hunt with. If you want to get up close and personal with bears this is the hunt for you. Tom and his crew did a heck of a job to make sure everyone had a great time. You can't imagine the amount of work they do before and during the hunt to make it a success.

I sat the Glove stand for 6 days; saw bears every day except one. Last Friday Eric and I were out checking baits and the Black Label stand was cleaned out. Eric suggested I talk to Tom about moving to the Black Label for my
last hunt. This was the stand that Mike took his
bear from plus he had seen several others. My bear appeared about 6:45. Appeared is the right word because that's what these bears do; they do not make any noise, they just appear out of the timber. I watched this bear for 15 or 20 minutes before he offered a broadside shoot. I kept telling myself to pick a spot and all of a sudden my arrow hit the mark. He crashed off but I could tell he did not go far; when I heard the death moan I knew it was over. He's a fine bear, (thanks Big Ron for posting his picture) a little BIGGER than Mikes, of course he had a couple extra days to bulk up on donuts after Mike let him go. Thanks to everyone involved with this hunt, I had a great time!
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: June 21, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Group two is probably checking bears as of now.Should have phone service in a couple of hours.I can't wait to see how they done and how the the big bear contest ended up.I left my old man mask with Tom.Maby he has a story or two to tell.  :D
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: June 21, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Anyone hear from them yet? I'm sure Fletcher is wondering if he has a new bow and knife on the way.  :)

Offline nyhunter73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: June 22, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that week 2 went 7 out of 10 with every one having plenty of action. I was too picky and did not let an arrow fly but was just as happy seeing others bring them back to camp. The biggest bear of week 2 was 249#. You will have to wait for them to find out more. Good night
Allen

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: June 22, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Allen: You're a good man posting this after midnight after your long trip home. I think I checked until midnight anxiously waiting to hear how the guys did. Looking forward to the stories now. Good deal. Thanks. bw

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: June 22, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Congratulations to the Week 2 Gang!!    :clapper:    I'm looking forward to the stories and pics.  I'm not surprised or disappointed that someone shot a bigger bear than mine.  We all know there are some BIG ones up there.    :eek:    I'm still amazed that mine held the spot for week one.

Thanks for the post, Allen.  Go catch up on your sleep.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: June 22, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
JC and I are spent the night at Tippit's and haven't even had a chance to catch up on week one yet.  We will be heading home today and promise stories to follow.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #478 on: June 22, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
I just returned home from dropping BOWDOC off in HARTFORD,CT airport :-) We arrived at my house about 10:00 PM last night.
 What a great time !!!  26 hunters 19 Bears harvested................will be back soon with more details.I stil have ALOT of gear to put away and notes to go through.I hope everyone made it home safe & sound from BOTH hunts.

BY the Way:
 I have dates set for BEAR QUEST III 2009' :-)
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: June 22, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Glad you made it ok Tom.W'ell be waiting for all the goodies.  :coffee:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©