3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40490 times)

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
By the way, when I asked JC about the plunger joke all he could say was "it was horrible."
It seems that he has blocked it out....  "[dntthnk]"

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Darn it south of the border Bob your right I forgot about that.Well next year I'am going for the team Tippet spear with one straight fletch only...Thomas my friend you broke the code to bowdoc's cooking.Make them wait long enough and they will eat anything.bowdoc

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Border Bob, I have been meaning to contact you and ask for some help in upgrading the killing potential of my rig. I very much enjoyed your discussions regarding the addition of turbulators and the reduction of "drag" from the use of very small fletching. I'm still unclear as to exactly where the pinstripe should be located for optimum results but I've decided that thirty-five yards is entirely too far for a shot critter to trave. I'll be in Tejas the second week of the PIG GIG and was hoping you could bring an example and shed a bit more light on the issue for me since I'm sure you've already made those alterations to your own setup. It was great sharing camp with you and I'm still trying to get all my photos compressed to send you all. Miss Kim- Bowdoc is the greatest of his kind. However, there is only one of them and that's a mixed blessing.        GBY

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
First things first....Tom, a sincere thank you the opportunity to be part of this camp.  I don't think there could be a finer camp anywhere!  Tom, Allen, Lloyd and Eric, all of your hard work is most sincerely appreciated.  Bowdoc, you are an incredible cook and an outstanding fellow.  For all those who have not met Don, he is tough to describe but the experience of getting to know him is a pleasure.  I believe Don has to be the most sincere and genuine person I have ever met.  Thank you Don!  To all the guys in camp, I could not have asked for a better group of guys to spend a week with.  I am very thankful to meet and share some memories with each and every one of you.  If you are ever passing through VA, drop me a line as you are always welcome here.  I cannot say enough about what an outstanding experience this was!  

I got back to VA yesterday evening and I am still trying to get settled.  I hope to start uploading pics tonight and will post more soon.  Again, thanks to everyone for the great trip. Stay tuned as I am sure stories will follow.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera on my most exciting evening.  Then again, I'm not to sure it would focus that close anyway...

-Jay

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #504 on: June 23, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Oh yes Miss Kim it is horrible and they all seem to block it from thier menory after leaveing camp...I never tell it in mixed company or when childern are around.It's not funny at all,but they all laugh.The person who answers laughs the hardest..bowdoc

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #505 on: June 23, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Bowdoc- as a victim of the joke I can vouch that laughing is really the only choice a fella has since "un-ringing the bell" is out of the question. Its awful; I'm still trying to deal with it.    GY

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #506 on: June 23, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
We better get off the plunger joke as I am still laughing myself and need to consentrate on some new one's for next year....The Canadian game and wildlife agents whom nabbed me also called my house today to thank me for the service I provided to them while in the bush........bowdoc

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #507 on: June 23, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
:rolleyes:      :biglaugh:    You didnt tell anyone what your new nickname was DID You??
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #508 on: June 23, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Hey boys, lay off the turbulator joke too. I don't want to see this get pulled before everyone has their chance to post. (although, nevermind. LOL)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #509 on: June 23, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
OK, its after work... what are you guys doing? eating supper! that's lame. let's see some pictures and read some stories.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #510 on: June 23, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Not So Patiently Waiting!!  Where are you guys at?  ;)   You can get all the sleep you need when your dead.  :readit:   We Need Stories!!!   LOL

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #511 on: June 23, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
I'll get this one started on Bowdoc's statement of No Noticeable Difference with the Asby style single bevel Grizzly  :)

Tippit Enterprise assembled an awesome array of bowhunters for the Company's first R&D testing team of Tippit Terminators.  Pictured below...Allen, Tippit, Eric, Tom, and Paul!

Three of us dropped the string on bears with 100% success!  Tom used the new Hope bow and I believe it was the first blood drawn my her.  Eric and I used selfbows to send the terminators on their deadly way.  I got to use Eric's beautiful red & black hickory bow. More stories and pictures on those later.

Paul joined the team late and didn't get an opportunity to use his Terminator but has promised some fall critters to be added to the data bank.  

Allen as it turns out has been promoted to the Head of the R&D department for his innovative way of torture testing the Single Bevel Grizzly style Terminator.  Seems Allen wasn't content to to just practice on one of the foam bear targets...he wanted to see bone crushing penetration.  So he took deadly aim on the the steel pipe in the front leg of the McKenzie bear.  He must be part Superman to have been able to see that pipe section in the target...double lung shot on the steel pipe  :saywhat:  Allen knew what he was doing as that Terminator came out perfect...no bends or chips.  Just touched up the edge (single bevel) with a file and off huntin' my new Dept Chief went  :notworthy:  

So Bowdoc, I believe Allen unequivocally proved the superiority of the penetration of the single bevel  :goldtooth:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #512 on: June 23, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Hmmmmm. Doc, I Sent a 200 grain Razorcap through both lungs and out of the lower brisket and shattered the offside leg bone WITHOUT a single bevel and watched her fall in 30 yards.  Still waiting for a superior test!  LOL   :bigsmyl:

But until I test your head I won't know for sure...

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #513 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Big Ron, Just givin' Bowdoc & Allen a ribbin'  :D  I think all the heads preformed well if the shot placement was right.  We had anatomy lessons on most of the bears.  I think most were surprised about where the best placement on a bear was...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #514 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Good Evening Folks,
 Well I have made a dent in putting some gear away
from Bear hunt time to write a bit.Glad everyone made it home safely.I am proud to say that at Bear Quest II there was Trad-Gangers from 14 different states and we all got along great,that takes some doin for sure !! Although we are from many different walks of life we worked as a team helping one another in all the apsects of a hunting camp and we all share the love of stick of string which is the icing on the cake.19 Bears were harvested along with a couple misses as well as some bears that got away.Seems everyone had a great time and I have already started to make plans for BEAR QUEST III which will be new & improved :-)
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #515 on: June 23, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Sure missed meeting and hunting with you Doc, and would love to try one of your creations some day!   :notworthy:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #516 on: June 23, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
I got to help Jay track his bear along with Tom & Bowdoc.  The one thing that really shows up in this picture is Jay's smile.  I don't think I ever saw Jay without one around camp...but this one was the best   :bigsmyl:  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #517 on: June 23, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Just got back from dropping Stubby off at the taxidermy shop. When we got him out of the bag and looked him over it was clear this ole boy was a warrior in his day. Besides having both his canine teeth broken he had numerous scars on his head from battles past. I had originaly thought of a shoulder mount but decided the character of this bear needed to be shown. As the guys from week two already know, he was missing his right foot from a long ago mishap. I decided on a half mount with a closed mouth, his left foot standing on a log and his right slightly raised. I think it will look pretty sharp. Well as far as the hunt was concerned, it was alot less exciting then others, Blackdog will tell you about his. This was the 3rd bear into the crib that night. The first walked out behind the crib and out of sight. The second came into the crib a bolted out in a matter of seconds. Shortly after the second ran off there was a comotion to my left, branches breaking and movement. With a bunch of a coughing sounding woofing this old guy shows up at the crib, looks up at me then looks at the crib. I was standing and ready because of the the second bear having just been there. When he turned his head to look at the crib I let the Zwickey tipped cedar go. The result was a complete pass thru. The reaction of the bear was to just turn his head and look at his side. He just stood there broadside to me 5-1/2 paces away from the tree. I had enough time to string another arrow while he looked toward the crib. I drew back for another shot and at about at half draw he turned on his heels and ran off to my left, the same direction he had come in from. In about 10 seconds or less I heard a loud "woooosh" and complete silence after that. 15 minutes after the shot I climbed down and found my arrow, buried into a log on the crib and no blood. To finish up, I went back to camp, Tom, Eric and Bowdoc along with myself went back to the crib and found Stubby about 40 yards from the shot.
Sorry I can't post any pictures, so any of you guys that have a picture of Stubby and you want to post it, go right ahead. This was my first bear hunt and the second will have to go some to top it.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #518 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Holy smokes! I THINK i'M GOING TO CRY.I'm home sick already.TELL ME MORE .PLEASE PLEASE
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #519 on: June 23, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
:wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©