3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40472 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #560 on: June 24, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Awesome Stories Guys. Looks like week 2 was a Blast also!!  :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #561 on: June 24, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Congratulations on Stubby and the Big Bear Win, Matt!!    :saywhat:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #562 on: June 24, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Tom sign me up for next year , Mike I'm thinking about sawing the foot off my 3D bear target and practicing from 10 feet to be ready . Bowdoc maybe when the swelling goes down your eyes will line up again so you can carve out those choice pieces of bear anatomy we talked about . Tom I will try to make Denton Hill will keep you posted , again many thanks , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #563 on: June 24, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
We came for the bear hunting, but meal times were just about as important.  Tippit made the big mistake of coming on this trip while trying to be on a diet.    :knothead:   That obviously didn't last very long.  :rolleyes:  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #564 on: June 24, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Smoothered crawdads over rice - Kip style...

Did you wash your hands Bowdoc??

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #565 on: June 24, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
Mud bugs etoufee? You guys were livin' high on the hog.

Comon JC, I seen your picture eating so I know you were there. Did you get blood on my arra?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #566 on: June 24, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
On the first afternoon we drew names of stands out of a hat to see where we would sit that night.  I drew Glove, and based on reports from the prior week when 9 bears were seen on the first evening I figured I had hit the jackpot.  

Tree steps??  
We don't need no stinkin' tree steps!  :readit:  

For me, this hunt was made special simply by the weapons I carried.  I had hafted a Knife River flint head to a cedar shaft, and would be using a Sunbear longbow to send it on its way.

The first night in the stand was spent simply trying to keep my eyes open after the all night drive the night before.  I'm sure the constant movement of my head falling on my chest as I nodded off to sleep gave any bears plenty of warning to stay away from the bait.

This little guy was the only bear I saw.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #567 on: June 24, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Hold on Shaun, it's soon to come. Got the pics uploaded and I'll start the yarn spinning tomorrow....  :campfire:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #568 on: June 24, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Guys, Thanks for all the kind works on the bear. It was beyound doubt one of the highlights of my hunting career. Paul, I found some 45-50's this evening so tomorrow night after work the "Bear Bow" will get a work out, can't wait. This bow carries some serious Mojo, I can feel it (and I thank you again). Now, All I have to do is beg my way onto "Team Tippit" and next year at #III we'll see if this bow can do some business. Fletch, thank you. Talking with you at the sporting goods store and seeing pictures of your bear really got us first time second week guys fired up and ready to go.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #569 on: June 24, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
The second night was a repeat of the first, except that even the cub was too nervous to come all the way in to the bait.  It was time for a new stand, and Monday found me sitting on Raptor, the water bait that had produced the largest bear of week one.  But still no bears showed themselves for me.

Those who hadn't yet had an opportunity at a bear drew for new stands on Tuesday, and I pulled the Deli.  It had been getting licked clean the past three nights in a row, and I felt confident as I climbed in for the vigil.  But once again I was limited to being entertained by the ever present red squirrels.

I wasn't discouraged though.  It was just a matter of time, and the Deli stand still seemed like the place to be.  The bait had been hit again, although not as hard.  Instead of being cleaned out, only part of the bait had been eaten.  

I figured that could mean one of two things.  Either the bears were losing interest in the offerings, or they would be hungry earlier the next night.  I put my faith in the latter.

I thought I would try to mix things up and lit a sterno can under a can of honey.  I climbed into the stand, arranged my gear for another long sit, and watched as the smoke from the honey burn curled out of the can, drifting uphill into the forest.  

The wait was short.  Twenty minutes after settling in a bear ambled down the trail toward the bait.  It approached cautiously, but went right to the barrel and grabbed a mouthful of sweets.  After turning quickly away, it came right back for more.

The bear was not large, but it was plenty good enough for me.  I wanted badly to send the stone point through a bear, and the one before me was too tempting to pass.  As the near leg went forward my arrow slammed throught the ribs and the bear crashed away.

The breaking of branches stopped for a couple seconds, followed by another big crash, and two loud moans sent chills down my spine.  It was over just that quickly.  

I looked breifly for blood near the bait, but finding none simply circled above the spot the last sounds had come from.  My prize lay in a dark tangle 50 yards behind the bait.  

The bear wouldn't threaten Matt's spot with the largest bear, but I couldn't have been happier or more proud.  Thank you Charlie and Woody for making this hunt special!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #570 on: June 24, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
alright that does it.I want kip in my camp next year.That cajun food is making my mouth water. Fred cutting the front paw off that target is a good idea.I might put a donut in the mouth of mine.  :bigsmyl:     :thumbsup:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #571 on: June 24, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I'm tellin ya Mike, they like fried chicken!    :readit:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #572 on: June 24, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Maby I'll by a standing bear target and put a chicken in one paw and a donut in the other.  :D

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #573 on: June 24, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
As Whip said, the first day in camp was a long one.  Although we had all been awake for nearly 30 hours, with the exception of an occasional cat nap, not a single one of us stayed in camp the first evening.  Anticipation was high and we were headed to the stands.  

I had drawn the Long Trail stand.  Back in camp, Lloyd said, "That's a good one!  You'll be about 4 feet off the ground and about 6 yards from the bait.  Well, actually your a little higher than that, there is this mound under the stand so it seems lower than you really are."  

Later, I arrived at the stand.  Now, I had heard the stands we low, but lets just say I didn't need my pull rope.  I leaned my 62" Morrison against the front of the stand, then climbed in, snapped on my safety belt and sat down.  I then reached down, retreived my propped up bow and I was ready to go.  I looked at the crib 5-7 yards away and said, ummm...this could be interesting.  I never dozed off once that evening as I was loaded with adrenalin.    

The first evening on stand was uneventful but interesting.  Red squirrels and chipmunks were my constant companions.  Seemed one buck squirrel reigns over each bait site.  There was a definite pecking order among the small animals that visited the site and it provided constant entertainment through the evening.  

About 9:20, I decided it was time to head out.  I stood up and retrieved my fanny pack from it's hanger.  UFFFffff, ufffff, ufff followed by crashing erupted from the thick undergrowth 15-20 yards behind the stand.  Yup, that was a bear!    Didn't see him, but there was no mistaking.  How he got that close in that thick stuff without a single sound was beyond me. Light was really fading fast now.  "Now, was he running away from the stand or towards the stand?"  I chuckled at myself and said, I guess we'll find out!  The sound was hard to place, but I am sure he had seen me move, somehow. I hopped down and headed to my pick up point.  Tomorrow, I was staying put until all light was gone.  I would be ready for him.

Upon arriving back in camp, I learned that someone had wasted no time in starting us off on the right foot.  This really got us all hyped for the remainder of the week.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #574 on: June 24, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
I had taken 5 bears in the past 5 years with the last two being very special...'06 LDB Bear and '07 my Osage selfbow and a Woody stone head.  This year my priority had come full circle with my own forged broadheads.  I just wanted the opportunity to see if they would preform so the Big Bear Contest was low on my list...heck I already had a tippit knife anyway  :D  

On Saturday when everyone drew for their stands, no one had decided to go on the water.  The Moose Tower had yielded three very nice bears in the past for me so that was my starting point.  I originally thought I'd skip Saturday night but my eye felt 90% better and the enthusiasm of the new hunters was infectious.  Around 7:30 I had a nice bear in full thick coat come down the hill to the bait but not fully come in.  He did this several time finally coming in around 8:00.  Even though this was the first night everything just felt right.  I drew on him three different times as he jocked around the barrel.  Finally he reached in opening his chest broadside to me.  The Tippit Terminator just disappeared with a clean pass thru.  I didn't hear any death moan but that wouldn't be a surprise to anyone in camp as I don't hear much anyway   :banghead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #575 on: June 24, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
congrats on the broadhead.When in circulation I"ll take a pack.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #576 on: June 25, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
Congrats Doc!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #577 on: June 25, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Super sweet doc,thats a beautiful combo there broadhead arrow bow and bear.Now thats a cover shot if I ever saw one....Oh yes Mike the food was outstanding.Kips crawfish and rice was one of my favorite for sure...but let me tell ya nothing could hold a candle to curvemans chili....All of the prepared meals were just awsome...Good food good friend and good bears...Now thats the good life...

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #578 on: June 25, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
Perhaps a whitebeard division of Team Tippet next year Matt?
The bow is a sweet shooter. She's in good hands....

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #579 on: June 25, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Tippit, I got some film of that bear while I was filming Thomas Burns's hunt on Monday night of the first week. He came in about 4:40 P.M. and came straight to my stand that had been put up temporarily to accomodate a cameraman. He had a great coat. There were two bruisers hitting that bait and Thomas passed-the big boar came around but didn't commit to the bait and was seen no more but your bear was the first I saw on my hunt and I was pumped. Good job.         Grant

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©