3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40471 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #580 on: June 25, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Nicely done Doc! Glad you here you had such great success if your broadheads.

CS

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #581 on: June 25, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Where to begin....I guess, at the beginning.

As my plane took off from Boston at the end Bear Quest I last year, I suffered from the immediate pain of withdrawal. Whip and I had planned for a do-it-yourself walkabout in Australia with cobber Al Kidner in 2008 so it would be a while before I would see another Bear Quest.

A week or so into withdrawal I got a call from Whip, who was glued to his monitor reading all the tales recounted. Joe beat around the bush for sometime...finally proposing that maybe we should postpone Australia and go to another Bear Quest together? As much as I longed for the trip Down Under, the warm glow of the recent memories made at Quest I were simply too fresh to deny. We cinched up plans and got on board with Tom.

The next 11+ months were filled with pleasant distractions: some great hunts came and went, sports with my boys, family vacations etc....but throughout all the hustle and bustle of life, I often found myself drifting back to see lurking black shapes as I sat in the Canadian backcountry while darkness slowly covered the green canopy. The days drew nearer for my return and thankfully the last month or so flew by with blinding speed.

Before I knew it, it was Friday the 13th and I was sitting in my seat as the plane lifted off for Boston. My nervous twitch was not caused by fear of the superstitious date, but by anticipation of what was to soon come. The flight was only 3 hours or so but felt much, much longer. I'm confident the first guy to invent a Star Trek-like transporter will certainly be a hunter who simply cannot stand the agonizing delay of travel to his anticipated adventure.

Tippit picked me up at the airport without a hitch, to many grins and nervous laughter between us. A sincere hug from a close friend is the sort of thing a fellow hangs his hat on when he counts his blessings, it was good to see him again after far too long.

We parked in a shady area away from the airport and caught up while we waited for Whip, all the while grinning from ear to ear like two kids killing time on Christmas Eve. Joe's reception was the same as with Jeff and off we went to Jeff's.

Now, the plan was to hang out at the house, meet up with our traveling party (Paul, Jay, and Steve), have a fine meal prepared by Miss Molly and boogie towards the border around 9pm. Not sure how many of the chosen few out there have had the pleasure to see Tippit's basement...but those who have know that "hanging out" consisted of fondling Jeff's incredibly diverse collection of bows. Joe and I were mesmerized by the graceful curves and sensuous lines of stickbows that begged to be shot. Tippit graciously offered our pick of any and all for the flinging…and it took us each a mere moment to grab and go.

As we puttered and played, shooting many bows neither I nor Joe have ever seen, let alone heard about, the rest of our party arrived. More bows were broken out and Jeff’s bear target was given a thrashing none short of what the French saw at Agincourt.

A few of the Tippit’s bows that I shot stood head and shoulders above the rest, particularly two recurves that shot as good as most any I’ve ever wrapped my paws around (don’t post the names here Jeff, in case there are any wandering around used bow land I might have missed   ).

I’m not a selfbow man, only shot one or two I cared anything about and neither of those would make me lay down any good glass bow I’ve shot. However…Paul broke out two beautiful bamboo backed sticks that seemed to glisten far in excess of the sunlight that reflected off of them as the sock slid off. These were something special.  The first, was a fine short bow, it certainly got my attention with it’s lack of shock and blistering performance. “You sure you didn’t slip any of that carbon you’re playing with in here?”  :eek:  Paul grinned and handed me the longer of the two “Try this one” as he did his best imitation of the Cheshire cat.  :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #582 on: June 25, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
Tippit, Whip, and I loaded up Molly’s 4runner to the hilt. We had everything we would need...and spares.

Paul, Jay, and Steve did their best to be patient while we shuffled our gear around inside the truck.

Molly prepared us a wonderful meal of smothered spare ribs and a fantastic salad. A hostess worthy of an article in one of those Home & Garden type magazines, Miss Molly greets all the hunting buddies Jeff drags in as family, no matter how much blood or mud they are covered in. As a rabid horsewoman, she and Jeff share a deep appreciation and support for each other’s passions…the kind of stuff from story book romances. Reminds me of another couple I know, doesn’t it Miss Kim  :saywhat:

The rest of our caravan was a bit ahead of schedule towards the appointed meeting place (imagine that!), so we planned to leave a bit earlier than anticipated. It had nothing to do with our anticipation mind you, we just didn’t want our friends waiting too long. Full bellies, full flagons of coffee and we left Molly with nothing more than dirty dishes and tire tracks in the driveway. We were finally on the road.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #583 on: June 25, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
this is a good one  :coffee:  I think I can cancell all my other magazine subscriptions.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #584 on: June 25, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
"...and we left Molly with nothing more than dirty dishes and tire tracks in the driveway. We were finally on the road."

Now that's pure poetry right there, Hoss...brought a tear to my eye.

Great stories, guys. I "almost" got to make this trip...Maybe another year...  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #585 on: June 25, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
The Canadian Game Department told me I needed to wear my hunter orange and to move my stand higher because the bears could smell my legs !!! and I would not see one anyhow because I was to near the barrel...I did not tell them the night before a bear was almost smelling my legs...as I was setting on the platform kinda stretching..and bruno sneaked up behind me at about 7 feet but thankfuly for his sake did not come any closer....So after using the game agents for the old 3 men in 2 men out trick....The bears figured we finished baiting and things were safe again....within about 1 hour she came a calling....surely not the best bear I've arrowed in Que'bec but was fine with me.The next bit of action was probley one of the hi-lights of my hunting ever...I would have taken at least one picture for my grandkids...and one to send to the two fine fellows whom helped me that night by 3 in 2 out C.D.W..She came right up to the stand smelled the platform and the end on my Danners...curvemans chiliiiiiii had no chance of escape at that momute believe me...After we both settled down 1-2 minutes later the 600 grain 40 year old Bill Sweetland Forgewood and Bear razorhead hit thier mark at a shot distance of around 7-9 feet while she was broadside.The arrow burried itself in the dirt on her oppisite side....13 paces from my stand it was over in about 20 seconds and then silince...Bittersweet....but the best hunt I have ever been on...but I really want to thank Tommy(Paula) Lloyd Alan & Eric whom drove alot of miles seen lots of sleepless nights and busted there azzes to make this hunt happen again and again....They are the best of the best...thanks guy's...one still smileing bowdoc

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #586 on: June 25, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Oh!!! the old 3 men in two men out trick!So thats how you got out of that fine.  :biglaugh:  I will have to admit,I never would have thought of that.  :biglaugh:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #587 on: June 25, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
come on Mike you know me and if anyone could get a bear... a canadian woman to kiss him and two game wardens the same day...has got to have something going thier way...bowdoc

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #588 on: June 25, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
That is what I call a multiple score Bowdoc.Youdaman  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #589 on: June 25, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
:rolleyes:    :biglaugh:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #590 on: June 25, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
See, what it wuz wuz da B-Daddy Bowdoc dun tolt dem boyz dey need ta get ta steppin er he'd have ta come down outta dat stand and go to bussin dem upsides dey heads...so dey dun hopped in dey ride and rolled on up outta dair. I know, cuz he give me one of dem looks too, wif his lid on fer a fight, his shades purveyin his intent an his bling testifyin....

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #591 on: June 25, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
JC, How about this one. This is about how he looked after that Canadian Woman kissed him. LOL

>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #592 on: June 25, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Yea Big Ron, he had the same smile when I saw him helping her with the laundry.  :D
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #593 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigRonHuntAlot:
JC, How about this one. This is about how he looked after that Canadian Woman kissed him. LOL

MY PRECIOUS !!!! Come to Smiegel!

:biglaugh:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #594 on: June 25, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
JC thats it!  :biglaugh:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #595 on: June 25, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
Hell Ron that was after Border Bob kissed me......bowdoc

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #596 on: June 25, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Nnnassssstyy hobbitsssses!  :p
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #597 on: June 25, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
OK, enough talk about kissin Bowdoc...some may figure we've been in the woods too long.

A few hours later we wheeled into Denny’s (or some other purveyor of heart-attack fare) where we connected with the rest of the motley crew bound for K-beck. I know someone got a picture of us in the parking lot and will post it up somewhere on here for your viewing pleasure….needless to say, we were relatively safe from any interruption but I’m not quite so sure the restaurant didn’t lose business while a bunch of wild eyed hunting junkies giggled maniacally in the corner of their lot.

After introductions and lots of fidgeting/twitching we sprinted to the closest gas station to fill our car’s tanks and empty ours…of course restocking with coffee for the drive through the night.

Though Tippit had been this way a few times, and this was my second trip, we were flying strictly by instruments; thankfully Tom had given us excellent directions. The caravan rolled on to border. We were making great time, honestly too good on time. We had way over estimated how long the trip would take based on previous years of meeting at Tom & Lloyd’s. This year we were “flying” direct and it was moving along much quicker. Oh heck, I guess we’ll just have to suffer with getting there early!

The border loomed ahead, well lit concrete pylons painted a sterile white, giving the impression Canada knew trouble was coming and had erected a blockade on our behalf. For once, we got a very jovial border officer:
“Whatcha doin?”…
“We’re going Huntin!”…
“Whatcha huntin?”…
“Bar!”…
“You guys got any firearms?”…
“No sir, just bows, broadheads and such.”…
“Mathews?”…
“No sir, stickbows; longbows, recurves, selfbows.”…
“Cool! What kind are ya’ll shootin?”…
“Morrison, Sunbear, and a Ackerman Selfbow.”...
“You guys have a good time!”….

My previous experience with crossing had not been so relaxed…but then, I didn’t have Border Bob to worry about this time (though Tippit did look quite the villain in his neon yellow & orange doo-rag).

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #598 on: June 25, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
c'mon, Joe, bring it....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #599 on: June 25, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
I'm not sure how many Game Wardens would want to run into this character anyway!  But it sure looks like he took their advice with orange and a Sunday bonnet.  He's even got his hands up   :biglaugh:  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©