3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40463 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #600 on: June 25, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #601 on: June 25, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Oh yeah doc you better believe it..I slept in hunter oragne the rest of the week....you gotta know when to say when....as for the bonnet that was for you on fathers day remember...I wanted to make it a special day for all use fathers that were off doing what we do best....dressing up weird..........bowdoc

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #602 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Just to be on the safe side, we made Bowdoc take the first bites at each meal...but with that simle you still couldn't predict if it were safe or not  :bigsmyl:  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #603 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
If you fellas keep posting pictures of me, I might just become a legend in my own mind!!!

JC, not only are you a bear skinin fool, but you spin a darn fine story.

Paul, you might have something there. This has kind of a fraternal kind of feeling. How about this, For all those who have survived the initiation rights of Bear Quest I and II and futher Quests, such as 4' high stands 12 feet from the crib and Bowdoc, you are qualified to become a member of "BOB", Brothers of the Bear. BOB of course is the first level. Now, for the second level "WBBOB" White Bearded Brothers of the Bear". When attaining this level you will be due all the respect that age, experience, wisdom, Woodsmanship demand. Skills that are mastered at this level include such things as the ability to sleep in a stand without falling off. The ability to sleep in a stand and remember where you are when you wake up. The ability to not pock yourself with a sharp or semi-sharp broadhead and most importantly and perhaps the most difficult skill to master and be consistently good at, the ability to remember which tree you leaned your bow up against after you take a wizzzzz. Oh yea, ya gotta have a white beard too. Now, what do you think, you can have the "BOB" or the much sought after and almost impossible to attain "WBBOB" appellation after your name and at the bottom of your posts here on the Tradgang.

Offline Ken E.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #604 on: June 25, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
First I want to thank Tom, Allen, Lloyd, Eric and Don for putting together Bear quest without them none of this wonderful experince would have happened.  Second it was great to spend a week with such good people enjoying each others company and hearing everyones stories.  

Offline Ken E.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #605 on: June 25, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
The hunting was unbelievable.  I still can't believe the opportunites everyone had.  This is my bear taken off "Arrow" stand which was not hit at all until we got into camp the second week.  Taken with my homemade longbow.

Offline Ken E.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #606 on: June 25, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
The great thing about the group of guys in camp was that everyone pitched in and helped.  JC and Joe jumped in with the knives a blazin to help me with my bear since this was my first.  Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #607 on: June 25, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Man I'm really missin' out by not getting in on this one yet......I really gotta figure out what I want to do next year soon    :(

Incredible story tellin' fellas    :notworthy:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #608 on: June 25, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
After the first night's action and some much needed sleep, Sunday morning broke clear and cool.  Coffee, breakfast and morning socializing soon led to checking and topping the baits.  

Thomas "Hogdancer" Burns, Grant Young and I were hunting the water stands.  Thomas is right at home with the water and a boat and the BQ Crew let us handle the baits on our own.  I really appreciated that, too, as working it adds so much to the hunt.  The Raptor stand had been hit a bit after I left the evening before, Blowdown and Cove stands looked quiet and the Moose Tower had been wiped out.  We freshened them all and headed back to the lodge for lunch and more relaxation and fun.

After lunch and a nap, it was time to get going again.  Having seen three bears the first night, I was really excited as I slipped up the hill to the Raptor Stand.  And I was carrying something special with me, too.  I had brought some "expired" fried chicken and sweet breads with me from home.  I added these to the barrel and climbed into the stand.  It only took a couple of minutes to to get my video camera set up, and I was hunting again.

Tonight's action was slow and I'm sure I nodded off a couple of times until just before 7:00 when I heard a stick snap somewhere up the hill from me.  My pulse kicked up a couple of notches and I was awake now with my eyes WIDE open.  There could only be two things up there to snap a stick, and neither of them spoke French.

It was a short ten minutes or so when I spotted something black moving down the hill toward me.  I got my first good look at its head at about forty yards out and I knew it wasn't BooBoo.  I got my camera turned on and slowly stood up.  He came in slowly, but without any question and stopped when he hit the grease line in the dirt.  He dug at the dirt, sniffed some more and then started eating it.  Yeah, he was eating the greasy dirt!.  After a few minutes of that, he came around to the side of the crib, munched some bone pieces, grabbed a hunk of fat, turned and went back up the hill.  He didn't go far and I could still see him through the trees and brush.  Within a few minutes, he was on his way back down.

This was my first bear hunt and my fourth bear seen from the stand.  Although far from being a judge of bears, I was comfortable that this was one that I didn't want to pass on.  Many friends had told me to be patient and wait for the bear and the shot that I wanted.  That bear was here, now I just had to wait out the shot.

He passed on the dirt this time and came right around to the bait.  It was amazing just having him in front of me.  His coat was beautiful, his head large and round, and just a small flash of white on his chest.  I was in awe and for now anyway, just watching him was more than enough.  He came around and ate a little meat and moved in front of the barrel.  Then, he found the chicken.  He must have some relatives down south, because he really liked that fried chicken and cleaned up every last morsel before laying down at the Hostess bucket for dessert.  Even though he seemed very confident at the bait, his head was constantly coming up, looking, listening and sniffing for dangers.

After about twenty minutes of total visit time, the tape in my camera came to it's end.  I hadn't thought about the forty minutes I had taken the night before and now I was on my own.  That was just as well though, as now there was only one thing for me to concentrate on.  It was another five minutes or so when he backed up from the barrel, turned to the left and stood straight up on all fours, looking down to the lake, slightly past broadside.  In the words of an old Florida fishing guide, "If you believe in the hereafter, this is what you're here after."
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #609 on: June 25, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
I wanna grow a white beard.

Killdeer  :)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #610 on: June 25, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
WOW Ken, That's a gorgeous bear!  Congratulations on taking him with YOUR longbow!

Yeah, Guru, this is a hunt worth going on.  I can't make it again in '09, but then, this needs to be shared, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #611 on: June 25, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Sunday came early, but I was refreshed from a good nights sleep.  Day two had begun.  Soon after coffee and breakfast, the Tippit Terminator recovery team was on it's way.

Doc's bear set the stage and we were all excited.  For some of us, this was our first bear hunt and to see these creatures up close had us filled with anticipation.

The afternoon came and I was off to the Long Trail.  This time I was ready for him as I made up my mind up that I was not budging until there was no more light.  The evening prior, the bear had approached at 9:10 from directly behind me. My movement 5 minutes to early had been detected and I never saw him.  Only 3 woofs and crashing brush told me of his presence.  This time I was ready.

I crawled into my perch and waited.  I had not been sitting an hour when directly behind me I heard foot steps...large foot steps!  I knew not to move even through the approach would place him directly under me, and I was only 4 feet off the ground.  You all know how it is...the adrenalin kicks in, you can hear your heart thumping, your mouth gets dry.  Without moving, I strain my eyes downward.  Suddenly, the the brush directly below erupts as he charges towards the crib...........

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #612 on: June 25, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
More to come in the mornin....should be ready by the time ya'll are in the middle of yer first cup.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #613 on: June 25, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Ken builds a fine bow and the rest is on the RIGHT side!

Matt Beard I've got. The rest of the WBBOB list'll be a tough go.
     :eek:  
JC you tell a fine tale.
Bamboo and osage don't need no carbon. Works well with arrows though.
  :thumbsup:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #614 on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Great story tellin fellas!! I think we all wish we were there. This is certainly the next best thing.
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #615 on: June 25, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
The disection table saw plenty of action and it seemed JC was always in the middle of it.  That boy likes to undress bears!

This was the first big trip of many to come for Cutter. This knife was made by Skyler Wilson for the St. Jude's auction and purchased by Chris Surtess.  While Chris is serving in Iraq, his new knife is making some memories for him.  I think Bear Quest II was the first stop, and got in on some good skinning action.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #616 on: June 25, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
JC is definitely a pro at the skinning table. He gave a few of us lessons which was greatly appreciated.  Lloyd and Eric were always there as well.  You would think those bears had zippers on those fur coats.  When a bear came in, it was often boned, bagged, and on the way to the freezer in around an hour.  

Whip makes short work of bears too!  Doc and I went fishing one day and returned well before dark only to find a very special broken arrow and Whip preparing for a trip to the freezer.  Waiting in the ranks, was Lloyd's contribution to the skinning shed as well.  Ken arrived later that evening with more good news.  

If you look close, little grass remains in the skinning shed.  The sign of a good two weeks.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #617 on: June 26, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
...Suddenly, the the brush directly below erupts as he charges towards the crib.  

My heart missed a beat as he quickly came into view.  The anticipation of those heavy foot steps really had the adrenalin flowing.  There he was....and not a rub on him.  His ears seemed large so I knew, he was not the one I was looking for. I had to let him go.  Suddenly a calm fell over me as he made the final approach to the crib. Although my hands still trembled from the excitement, I decided to only snap a few photos.  I never realized they found donuts so appealing.

The remainder of the night was uneventual.  My bear from the evening prior, never showed.  At 9:40, I climbed out and made my way to the pick up point.  The following day, I would find myself in a new stand.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #618 on: June 26, 2008, 06:21:00 AM »
lol! CLASSIC!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #619 on: June 26, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
and then..........................bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©