3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40448 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #680 on: June 28, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »
The day slid idly by and it was time once again. It cleared some near the end of the day, the walk to my stand was punctuated by a dynamic view of the lush green forest.

It's hard to imagine so many delicate and beautiful flowers that can survive harsh winters under a 4' blanket of snow that lasts 8 months. Everywhere I turned I could see evidence of the hardiness that even these seemingly fragile residents of the North posessed.

Everything else seemed to be covered in one form of rich textured lichen or moss...

"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #681 on: June 28, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »

My trusty companions waited patiently for the evening to begin.

I settled in with the stillness that only comes after leaving the normal grind of work for three or four consecutive days. This was a hunter's peace.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #682 on: June 28, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
HOW THE HELL DID I MISS ALL THIS!!!!!

Awesome storytelling guys, looks like a really good time was had allround! Gotta see if I can't get myself over for Bear Quest III.

Joe, you've been paying really close attention to Charlie, ain'tcha  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #683 on: June 28, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
I love the way you tell a story JC!!!  :thumbsup:
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #684 on: June 28, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
Warning Men at work............. and a fine job too.......bowdoc  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #685 on: June 28, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Stonehead Joe and his real smile.....ya gotta love it......bowdoc

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #686 on: June 28, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
As fine a story as was ever told Joe!
  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #687 on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :campfire:    :coffee:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #688 on: June 28, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
JC!!  You may just eligible for Team Pink with those Bananas you have on those arrows!    :thumbsup:    :p
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #689 on: June 28, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
He's got my vote Joe, pink bananas, great storytelling, and I think he might be able to hunt a bit too........keep it coming JC.  :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #690 on: June 28, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
great stuff guys glad you all had a great time.
 Joe what a great kill with the sunbear and stone tip    :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #691 on: June 28, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
OK, that's what I get for rushing it...mixed up the dates. I saw nothing MONDAY night, not Tuesday night. The timeline was like this (and this will matter at the end of the tale): Nothing Sat, 3 bears (including the big one) Sunday night, nothing Monday night....shucks ruined the whole thing.

Anyway, I saw the big bear again on Tuesday night...and this time, I was sure it was big. It came to the bait twice...the second time close enough to have him and the 55 gallon barrel both in my field of view at the same time. There was no possible way he could ever get into the barrel.

He still would not come into the bait all the way. He sat and gave me the evil eye again, though this time from the far off distance of 7 yards. I had a hard time breathing for some reason...it was a little cold, and a bit wet...but I wasn't sure if it was cold enough to cause my knees to knock so bad I was afraid my arrow would fall off my bow while it sat on my lap.

I slowly lifted the bow off my legs to keep the broadhead from doing a crazy dance through the air. The bear already was bobbing his head trying to decide what the dancing stick was. I always enjoy the excitement, but it's been some time since I shook uncontrollably. I simply could not help from shaking as this bruin stared at me.

By this point I had skinned 14 or so bears, I had a pretty good idea what they weighed...this bruiser was easily 300# if he was an ounce. He took a long look at the barrel; standing perfectly broadside...my window of opportunity had opened.

I eased the bow into position and started the draw, it was happening just like I had practiced thousands of times over the years. The tension of the string disappeared as I focused on THE spot, a smooth fluid motion eased my arrow through the draw...I felt nothing...I only saw the spot. Three inches from anchor the bear tensed...and the green light in my head switched off...I stopped the draw. A millisecond later the bear whirled and took two steps behind the tree. Once again, instinct had saved the bear...and me too. A dropped string would have been a catastrophe.

He apparently didn't like the arrow bobbing gig or the 3/4 draw tango I just played for him. He moseyed up the ridge and sat while he tried to decide what in the world was up that tree.

The stage faded to black as the sun slowly set...it wasn't long before I couldn't decide if the bear was still looking at me or if that was just a bush. I slid down to the soggy ground and slipped out to the pickup point.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #692 on: June 28, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
I sat on the snowmobile trail as night fell, listening to the creek babble, sounding almost like a giggle as the woods mocked my most recent performance.

I laughed myself too; it was the nervous sort of laughter you have when you know you narrowly avoided a terrible wreck. My knees no longer shook and I felt somewhat drained as the adenaline left my system.

A light, misty rain was still falling and in the final light of day God reminded me once again of his sovereignty with even the simple things in life.

To think that things have turned out the way they are by the galaxy simply "rolling dice" and coming up with the right numbers millions of times is far more unbelievable than one God pulling it all together by his will....to paraphrase, there are no atheistists on the stand...

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #693 on: June 28, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
So well said JC.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #694 on: June 28, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
So, to recap, the big bear was sighted Sunday night and Tuesday night...nothing for Wednesday or Thursday. Thursday night was a rough one. I was torn between sticking with Mile Marker 42 for the last night or going to one of the stands that was now open. So far, I had "danced with the one that brung me"...should I risk my last night and chance the big bear that I had not seen for two days?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #695 on: June 28, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
The way your dragging this out Pard....that should be worth a double order of cookies!

:thumbsup:    :cool:    ;)    :jumper:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #696 on: June 28, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Friday June 20: Last day hunting....

It was a fitful night. Even after skinning a bear, a great meal, and a few cold beers I think I tossed as much as turned...and certainly more than I laid still. I was at the crossroads so many of us have faced: stick with it, or change tactics. My instincts told me it was over at Mile Marker 42...my brain said it was too...but that I should wait to see what the day's bait run had in store. As the morning dawned, the final hunters were deadly serious about the last day decisions. I had not seen the big bear, or any other, on Mile Marker 42 for 2 nights. My instinct told me it was time for a change. Since all but me had never been here to this camp before, I let them choose if they had a preference. Even after the draw, there were plenty of baits left...I chose the same bait that produced my bear last year...The Bowl would be my final stand.

We did our bait run...this was the last chance. Coincidentally, The Bowl had been cleaned. When this happened there was no way to tell...but it was obvious to me that I had made a good choice. Again, my gut told me, "this is the place to be."

That afternoon in camp the rest of the crew prodded and poked as only hunting partners can...bordering on irritating but never crossing that line..."Are you sure you are making the right decision?"

I was committed to moving. As committed as I was to staying on Mile Marker 42 for the previous 6 days. It was time to change and I felt confident in my decision.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #697 on: June 28, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
As with the days before, arrows were loosed, tales told, and fine food was savored. However, it was difficult to taste all the flavors that life had laid upon my palette with the dark cloud upon the horizon: all this way, all these days....no bear.

Eventually, you will learn that there is a point at every hunt where you simply must reconcile that there will be no animal taken, and you must value the hunt for only the sake of the hunt. It had been a wonderful 6 days of excitement and fulfillment, that was plenty for a simple stickbow hunter.

The evening came and we began to plan how the last hunt's logistics would play out. It was decided because of location, I would take Allan's truck alone to The Bowl. I had been there numerous times so I was not concerned about arrival or departure...only the space between and what happened during that time.

A somber, quiet ride by myself, I parked the truck at the designated spot and made the hike in to The Bowl. It had been moved from last year, as MM43 had been, this was the same area as last year. I could see the old crib and even the spot where my bear fell last year...this was a fitting end to my last night in Canada.

I had lighted a honey burn: sterno beneath a tin can full of honey that would eventually crystalize under the heat into a smoldering pile of syrup. The strong odor often attracted bears.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #698 on: June 28, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
The stand was a welcome change of scenery after 6 nights at the same location. If anything, I could relive the events of last year at this same spot...there were worse things to be doing on the last day of a hunt.

I sat for some time, relaxing and breathing in my final taste of the North Wood's aroma. Tomorrow we would pack up our considerable convoy and make our way back to the real world. It was with the odd pain/pleasure sensation that I thought about returning; I missed my family terribly but longed for the continuation of our routine. Enjoy the last few hours, relish in their sweetness for they would soon be gone.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #699 on: June 28, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
It was around 6pm when I heard the alarm call of the red squirrel. I knew it wasn't me that had caused his staccato warning, for I had been dozing without realizing it and hence, perfectly still. I moved only my sleep filled eyes....and then....so slowly it seemed as if it were a dream, the black form appeared to my left.

Maybe it wasn't over...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©