3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40446 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #700 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
I picked my spot, the string came back and the bright chartruese fletch suddenly appeared a little above his elbow.  One fast jump and snarl and he was off up the hill.  The hit seemed lower than the chosen spot and I wasn't happy with the lack of penetration.  Up the hill, I heard some crashing and could see the fletch waving back and forth, but in the same spot.  A little more crashing and then it was quiet.  Only seconds had actually passed.

Back on the seat, I finally managed to get my shaking under control and hung my bow on its hook.  I kept listening hard but didn't hear any more sounds of movement, nor did I hear the moan.  Now came the tough part, the wait.  

Sitting still and quiet while waiting for your quarry to show is actually rather easy, but after a shot and hit, it can be excruciatingly difficult.  Needing to burn some time, I put a new tape in my video camera, ate my candy bar, listened some more, changed the Thermacell pad, and worked on relaxing my breathing and nerves.  That lasted for about 20 minutes and I finally gathered up my gear and quietly slipped down to the landing spot on the lake shore.  The walk and change of scenery helped settle my nerves, but after 50 minutes, I could stand it no longer and picking up only my bow and flagging tape and flashlight, slowly started back up the hill.

The bear path leading to and from the bait site was easy to see and it wasn't far up it that I found first blood.  I flagged the spot and continued along on what became a "stand up" trail.  Blood on both sides of the trail told me that I had an exit hole and that made me feel much better.  I've never blood trailed where there was lots of birch bark laying around, but I really like it.  Only on snow does blood show up better.  The optimist in me was hoping to find a dead bear where I had heard the crashing and watched my arrow waving around, but when I got there, all I found was some disturbed plants and spots of blood.  The trail led off to the left a bit and I continued on even more slowly, looking and listening more than walking.  Funny, I never did think to nock an arrow.

Another fifteen yards or so along the trail I found my arrow, intact.  It showed good blood and a wad of hair about ten inches past the broadhead and then was clean, save for a few little specs.  I was quite sure I had an exit hole and how this arrow backed out unbroken is still a mystery to me, but I was very happy to find it.  I slipped it gently into the quiver, and continued on.  The trail entered a small tangle of thick saplings that I had to go around.  I picked up the trail on the other side and tied on another flag.  I started to move ahead, but then stopped.  I think I remembered that this wasn't a whitetail I was trailing and it was now dark enough that I needed the flashlight to see the blood trail.  It was time to call it for the night and head back to the pickup spot.  I stood for a moment, soaking it in, turned and followed the trail back out.

Leaving an animal overnight is never a comfortable feeling and I was already second guessing whether I should have trailed him at all.  Only tomorrow would answer that question however, and I tried to keep it pushed to the back of my head.  Thomas would pick up Grant before heading over to get me and it was pretty dark by the time they arrived.  The storytelling started immediately and even with my uncertainty, I was smiling on the way back across the lake.  Back at camp, we discussed the shot and trail and made plans to finish the trail in the morning.  

It wasn't long before Ron came in with his bear, the first for our camp.  It was beautiful, and there wouldn't have been more excitement around the truck if it had been a 180 inch buck in the back.  Several of us had never been that close to a warm bear before, and just touching it made me shiver.  Bowdoc had dinner ready soon and shortly thereafter I was off to bed.  Exhaustion is a good sleeping pill and I was asleep quickly.

Morning light came early and once I was awake, there was no going back to sleep.  It was another beautiful morning and with some coffee and Cheerios, I was ready to get going.  With my level of anticipation, it seemed like everything was going in slow motion.  Tommy needed to get the bait ready as he wanted to take it with us when we went to find my bear.  Thomas Burns and my travel partner, Fred "Grayfox 54" Gimbel asked to come along and I was happy to have their help.  Both are experienced hunters and look pretty strong, too.  Us old little guys need all the help we can get when it comes time to drag heavy critters.  We got the bait and boat ready and finally headed out.  

We went directly to the Raptor landing spot and emptied out of the boat like it was Normandy.  I strung my bow and suited up and we were off up the hill.  The night had been dry and the blood trail was still clear.  We followed it and the flags to where I had stopped the night before and started from there.  I followed the trail for a bit before it seemed to just disappear.  I was still looking ahead when Thomas, off to my right, said he had blood.  We headed in that direction with Thomas first on the trail and as he dropped over a little rise I heard the words, "Here he is!"  I ran up the hill and as soon as I got to the top I looked down and saw my bear wedged in some branches.  I whooped out loud and went into a happy dance.  I must have been holding in more than I thought.  He had made it about eighty or ninety yards and maybe twenty past where I stopped the night before.  There was no ground shrinkage on this guy for me.  We went through the handshaking and backslapping stuff, took some pictures and video of him where he lay and then started the grueling task of getting him down to the lake.  We made it to the boat, loaded him on and headed back to camp.

There aren't words to describe how I felt on that boat ride, but most of you know the feelings.  Humble, exhilarated, relieved, pumped, and more.  Those feelings are all there and the words all fall short.  Back at camp, he drew quite a crowd as we got him off the boat and over to the scale.  204 pounds.  Eric cleaned him up and helped with getting some great pictures before taking the lead in getting him started toward steaks and a fine rug.  Another special part of this bear is the tackle used in taking him.  The Okaw Osage Royale longbow was made by my good friend and 25 year hunting partner Chuck Jones, and originally owned by another long time friend and partner, Tuck Williams.  The arrow, I put together with a Kerry Gesink compressed cedar shaft and a Glenn Parker Timberwolf broadhead, both of which I've had for many years.  This arrow, complete with blood and hair, will be displayed proudly with his skull.

This is a hard tale to bring to an end.  The part of me taking a bear is done, but there is so much more to this hunt.  The comraderie, teamwork, working the baits, trailing and packing other bears, listening to the loons and wolves, sitting around the campfire, even sweeping the lodge floor and doing dishes are all parts of the experience.  I really want to thank Tommy, Lloyd, Eric, Allen and of course, Bowdoc, for the blood and sweat they put into this hunt and the great time and memories they let us take from it.  And thanks too, to all my Bear Quest Partners for your help and company.  I'm proud to have hunted with each of you.

Rick

Here he is where we found him:

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #701 on: June 29, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
JC this is as good as story telling gets. Glad Tom edited his post before I read it - desert still awaiting. Much as I'd like to know if there is blood on the arrow, I am truly enjoying you prose. Take your time and keep painting pictures for us.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #702 on: June 29, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »
JC, great story and well told. I know the feeling all too well of what you went through. I did learn as you have said to follow your gut. Great story and however it ends, congrats! Congrats to everyone else on the two hunts as well. Sounds like a great hunt to be on.
Rick, what a toad of a bear, congrats!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #703 on: June 29, 2008, 05:08:00 AM »
Outstanding Bear Rick! Well done on the story tellin too. Hope to have breakfast with you again at PBS and hear it all again first hand  :D
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #704 on: June 29, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
and then..............bowdoc

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #705 on: June 29, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
The final chapter:

Thankfully I had not taken the moment before to scratch or reposition anything...I think the bear had been there for some time, watching me, just outside of my field of vision. It moved another 6"...I could feel it boring a hole through my camo trying to decide how this new trunk had grown on a familiar tree in his territory. It moved another foot...and then slowly another. I could now see it pretty well without turning my head.

Then, as a dog would on it's master's front porch, the bear flopped itself down and immediately got comfortable, seemingly carefree and relaxed. I began turning my head so slowly I could feel the cramp building in my neck. There he lay, and it was another really good bear. Not as big as the 300#er, but certainly better than 175-180. He lazily looked off into the woods, but I could tell it was one of those lies of animal behavior "I'm not watching you at all...I'm looking at something else." Dang, but sometimes wild critters show me just how finely tuned their instincts and defense mechanisms are.

Coincidentally, I noticed that the big bear had chosen to lay right in front of the old crib...the stand had been moved some 25-30 yards and a new crib built, but I could easily see the killing ground of last year from where I sat. He pulled himself to his feet, and picked a winding path up the hill that sat behind the crib. He walked with a limp, it almost looked like his left front paw was either drawn up into an unusable claw or it had been injured severly. He gave me one more look over his shoulder as he disappeared over the rise.

Oh well, it was truly a good hunt...being with friends, making new ones, seeing bears, feeling the rush of being close to game...I was completely satisfied.

A sound came from my 3 o'clock, 180 degrees from where the big bear just left...
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #706 on: June 29, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
A small cub came ambling in to the bait, oblivious of any danger from above, or below. It was comical to watch him stroll in, reminding me of my sons as they walk up our driveway from being let off the bus: kicking the stones, heads lolling around as they look for some mischeif they could get into after a long day of being cooped up in the classroom.

The 40-50# cub came in right to the bait, grabbed a mouthful and pulled out a handful on to the ground for good measure, sat down on his haunches and began to chew so loudly I could hear his limps smacking. A few more bites later he ambled back the way he had come, just as careless as he arrived...guess he just needed a snack.

Thank you Lord, that was pretty cool...funny how all the bears I see seem to have their own individual personality.

The shadows grew longer, it was now closing in on 8pm, maybe a bit more than an hour of shooting light.

As I slowly rotated my head I froze when I recognized there was a bear near the old crib again...a different one that the crippled bruin that had laid there earlier. It's eyes bore into me with the same intensity as it's predacessor's.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #707 on: June 29, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
;)    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #708 on: June 29, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
The bear wandered in, keeping a distance from the crib as it semi-circled behind it...using the same "I'm not looking at you" tactic that I knew so well. It circled to my 3 o'clock and exploded from sight over the crest of the drop off towards the swampy area. A few splashes later and all was quiet.

Cool...I can live with that...I had really had some action on this stand.

A head poked over the dropoff ridge again, looking right at me. Same bear, now not bothering to play it's "look away" game it came in to the side of the crib and sat down to stare at me. All my years hunting I've been torn between looking into an animals eyes or looking away. Sometimes it seems as if they knew my intent, others when they merely went about their business. I've locked eyes with some and diverted mine, only to have the bolt...then other times they couldn't care less. I had nothing to lose, I stared deeply into the bear's gaze.

I wasn't uncomfortable but I got the funny feeling the bear was...it turned it's head, then back again. A few steps closer to the bait...a few more...now a quick mouthful and bounding off to the other side. It watched me as it chewed...but the bait was too powerful to resist so it returned.

It went on for a few minutes more and it finally settled in for supper. Not a big bear by any means, maybe 125. At first, I had no intention of shooting, but as the minutes followed and I saw multiple good shot opportunites the "go light" went off somewhere deep in my head.

Fourth quarter, minutes to play in the championship game, down by 1 point...it was time for a hail mary...either this would work or I would need to stay satisfied with the great memories I already had.

I began the agonizing process of moving my bow into position while trying to seemingly not move. I had already picked THE spot and I got a good 5 minutes to look at it before I began my draw. Muscles tensed in a familiar pattern, the simultaneous stretch and pull that was practiced to the point of performing it without really thinking. A few inches from ancher it bolted out of the barrel, spun and looked right up at me huffing like a blacksmith's bellows...I was busted almost at full draw.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #709 on: June 29, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
It took only moments before I started to quiver...then really shake. This time not from fear but from holding in an awkward position. The bear still looked at me, huffing and snorting it's displeasure. I had no choice, I slowly let down.

It went ballistic, teeth popping, it ran around behind the crib to look up at me on a more even level. It pounded it's front paws on the logs that covered the barrel, jumping up and down on them in a display that I had never seen before. The bear made more sounds than I had ever heard from all the bears I seen previously put together. It was definately not happy with me now. It strided purposefully to a tree, stood up on it's hind legs, craned it's neck forward and snapped off a dead branch the size of my wrist as effortlessly as you would snap a small dry twig in your hands. Gulp!...NOW we're talking!

It loudly crunched up the branch and let the pieces fall...THIS was really a cool experience. I made a mental note that next year I would have a camera mount...this would make incredible footage but I dared not do more than breath or there would be no more opportunity...if there would even be one at all.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #710 on: June 29, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
It paced around and around, huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf. Slowly it made it's way back to the barrel, ducked it's head in and immediately back out to stare up at me. This happened 4-5 times, each a bit longer than the last...the last few long enough to get a bite. It then stayed a moment, a few bites...and spun out of the barrel to stare again. Not a flinch, not a quiver...it apparently was convinced it's show had scared me into submission...it leaned into the bait.

The bow was already in position, I raised it slightly as a picked a new spot. Visualizing the main pumpstation in it's chest, I began my slow smooth draw once again. My concentration took over and before I even realized it, my nock was sticking out of the spot.

The bear whirled and exploded out of there, things cracking and snapping as it barreled through the brush around the crib. It moaned and groaned from the moment the arrow hit, now raising to a howl as it bolted over the ridge. More crashing...it grew silent, save for wet huffing that sounded like a drowning swimmer trying to clear it's lungs of water. Now it was totally silent except for the pounding of the blood in my ears. I knew the bear was down, and not far away.

I hung my bow up and checked my watch, it was 8:35. The cool calmness of a predator fled me at that moment and the knee shaking and giddy high hit me fully. I sat for a minute to collect myself and took a compass bearing both to the last spot I heard the bear and the road, just in case. I gathered my gear and climbed down.

I nocked an arrow just in case, though I was confident I wouldn't really need it and carefully made my way over the drop off....

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #711 on: June 29, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Great story JC! What a thrill this situation must have been.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #712 on: June 29, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
As I topped the small rise and began to descend I could see my nock as it stood out against a black mound...a few more steps and the mound became a bear...

After the tentative nudge us hunters are famous for, I knelt beside her. Certainly not a trophy by size standards, but already my internal hard drive was saving the incredible experience and making a backup, truly a story book ending to an already fine hunt.

Some of the arrow protruded from the right side of the middle of her ribcage, I looked at her and found there was a exit between the neck and left arm low on the body. The broadhead must have snapped off or been stopped by a log when it penetrated through her. The Morrison, Beman MFX carbon and Simmons interceptor combo had done their job with precision.

Blood literally covered the ground...it was as efficient a kill as I could have hoped for...that was my greatest satisfaction of the hunt.

I sat my pack down and positioned the camera...I prefer a shot as they lay to one posed. Nothing wrong with posing them, I just like something to help solidify the reality of the memory when I look back on old photos. The smile cannot fully reveal how happy I was at that moment...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #713 on: June 29, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
I suited up, attached my drag handle and plotted a course. She was fairly manageable so I felt my initial 115-125 mark was a good estimate. Up on the trail, I hid her and my gear to return for the stand and climbing sticks...this was the last night of the hunt and there was no more need for it stay.

From the truck to the camp, I sang praise...the Lord had delivered me a fine animal, an exciting show, and a clean kill. He truly is a loving Father...the simple pleasures he had just bestowed on his unworthy child filled my heart with joy.

Much congratulation back at camp, a retelling of the tale 2-3 times and we began to skin. It's really something when you see 4-5 guys drop everything and pick up knives to help you take care of your game. I had done it so many times for others without thinking, I had never stopped to appreciate the blessing the hunter gets from his camerades coming to his aide. My joy deepened and a tear swelled in my eye...it simply could not get any sweeter than this moment right here.

In short order, she was rendered down to bags for the freezer, choice meat that was indeed some of the finest fare to ever come off my smoker. A little seguay about bear meat: At the recent trad tournament at my farm I cooked the last of the shoulder meat from last year's bear. It took some time to trim all the sinew and silver skin from it but when I was finished, it was marinated and smoked. The bowl on the table said "Smoked Bear" and had not been touched...I walked among the tables offering samples. Even for die hard woodsman a wrinkled frown crossed their face as they expounded "I don't really like bear, it's a bit too tough and greasy." Just try a bite....one agreed, then another, a few more. I returned the bowl to the table with the silent selfishness that I hoped it would remain full...I wanted it for myself. A few minutes later the bowl was empty...and Chase was sopping the drippings out with a piece of bread. I had multiple people tell me with wide-eyed astonishment it was the best meat they could remember eating...even better than deer.

To the freezer we went hopeful it would be frozen enough for travel by the next morning.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #714 on: June 29, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
:clapper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #715 on: June 29, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
....whew!  good read, JC  :thumbsup:  

:campfire:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #716 on: June 29, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
We talked and laughed well into the night, savoring the last moments in a fine camp. Everyone snored in my room that night...

The flurry of activity that was breaking down the camp looked like so many ants running to and fro staying continually busy. It was bitter-sweet once again...relishing in the great new memories we had and each other's company, yet sad it was all over.

We loaded up, cleaned up and headed out...stopping in La Tuque for bear check in then on to the border. The rest of the trip was peaceful and relaxed...somewhat quiet in the car with Tippit and Whip...all of us smiling the simple smile that comes from remembering what we had just lived. The weather was beautiful and it was surprising to see the Quebec countryside that I had mostly seen only in darkness during our previous trips up and back.

Several sad partings later as the other in the caravan branched off, we bee-lined for Tippits and the last leg of our journey. Another fine meal, a cool scotch and we sat round the porch filling in Miss Molly on the exploits and hearing of hers while we were gone. I slept well that night, even with the sadness of departure weighing over my head.

We awoke to a great breakfast that Jeff and Molly prepared for us, their hospitality is truly world class. I am proud to know them and call them friends, more genuinely fine, caring people you'll not meet. I packed up my gear, Jeff loaned me a cooler for the meat (Tom was taking care of the hide and skull and would ship later after tanning/beetling).

With a tinge of grief, I gave my final hugs to my brothers: until we meet again, be well and enjoy the simple flight of the arrow.

As the plane lifted off, I smiled deeply and drifted off to the dreams of huffing bears and moss covered woods...

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #717 on: June 29, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
:clapper:   :clapper:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #718 on: June 29, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Well Done JC!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #719 on: June 29, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Congratulations, JC!!  You really got the full meal deal; seven full days of hunting, some fantastic shows and experiences and a fine bear.  Thanks for sharing them with us.  Your story had me there and your pictures are the greatest!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©