3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40438 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #720 on: June 29, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #721 on: June 29, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
JC that was swell. The image of that small bear acting like you son off the schoolbus was pure poetry. Your reverence an humility shine through. Well done sir!

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #722 on: June 29, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
JC,
 Thanks for the great fireside chat,cool pictures.You mentioned your bear not a trophy,I dissagree wholeheartedly.You got to go on a trip of a lifetime shoot a critter from a few armlegths away with stick & string !!! Alot of folks will only be able to live that through writing like yours and that will be the closest they can ever get to being there.Praise the LORD we are able to make hunts like this and the icing on the cake is arrowing a critter !! Thanks again for opening up your hunting diary to us again.
  More to come...........................
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #723 on: June 29, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:  

Nice going JC...an exciting hunt with a great climax...Glad you hammered one!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #724 on: June 29, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Awesome!   :campfire:  

Thanks so much for sharing!
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #725 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Outstanding!!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:        

Congrats to all of you who were lucky enough to go on this special hunt!!!

Great stories and pic's...

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #726 on: June 29, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine bear Joe and great story....ranks right up there with Charlie's tales.  :thumbsup:

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #727 on: June 29, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Well done JC; congrats on a fine bear and great story. I do agree with Tom, stick and string at a few armlengths away---he is a trophy.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #728 on: June 29, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
JC, that is some of the finest writing I have read in a long time!  Great job taking us all into the stand with you.  

With all these great stories, I have some big shoes to fill when I tell my tale. I'll do my best and the details are still fresh in my mind.  

I am happy to see that Steve's video's were such a hit. Here they are once more.

Steve showed me that video frame by frame back in camp.  Very Interesting!  With the lighted nock, you could actually see the arrow flexing in flight as it stablized itself.  Cool stuff indeed.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #729 on: June 29, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Monday morning came early.  On the prior two evenings, I had not yet seen a bear but my spirits were high.  Most importantly, I was having the time of my life!  This trip was already a success, bear or no bear.  

Those of us that were thinking of changing stands drew for new active stands.  I had drawn the “Bird.”  After a breakfast, we were off on bait runs and I would soon have my first look at my evening perch.

Bait runs were an enjoyable side trip every day.  I found it interesting to learn the different stand setups, to see the bear activity, as well as the beautiful countryside. Being involved in all aspects of the hunt very much appealed to me.  

Soon we arrived at end of the road leading to the Bird stand.  Along the way, Tom told me of the stand as well as it’s history and track record.  My anticipation built further.  We exited the truck, gathered all the gear to re-bait and headed out.  After a brief walk through a tunnel of dense undergrowth and swampy muck we arrived at the stand location.  A small clearing nestled in the dense surroundings, not 10 yards wide.  The ground was beaten down to bare earth.  The stand positioned about 6 feet high and maybe 6-7 yards away from the crib.  Encounters were sure to be “up close and personal,” as Tom often said.  The dense vegetation and swamp like surroundings were exactly what I imagined as an ideal stand location.  I was pumped!  The bait had been hit and hit hard since the prior day.  Tom said, “What do you think?  Do you like it?”  “Oh yeah!  It looks good to me!”  After a few minutes, we were headed back to the truck.  I had a good feeling of the evening to come….

I took this photo of the stand later in the week when Paul and I made a bait run.  Note the stand on the left and the face of the crib on the right.  Close!

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #730 on: June 29, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
Once arriving back in camp, spirits were high as always.  Bowdoc’s fine lunch was later followed by story telling, ventilating 3-d targets, and an occasional nap.  To ensure I was ready, I released a few arrows on the camp practice range.  Soon it was time to prep for the evening hunt.  

I gathered my gear and donned my hunting attire.  At the last minute I remembered JC’s wise advice.  “Don’t EVER forget to take your TermaCell to your stand.  You can forget your bow or your arrows and you can still have a good time, but you can’t forget your TermaCell!”  Very wise advice and ohhhh so true for this stand.  After a near crucial mistake, I retrieved that wonderful device and even tucked my spare in my fanny pack.  I was ready.  

Sometime around 4pm, Nate and I headed out for our stands.  Something stirred in my gut.  It was nervous anticipation.  It was one of those feelings like you just know something was going to happen.   After the 20-30 minute drive, we arrived at my drop off.  Nate and I bid each other farewell and good luck.  Then, Nate was off to his stand a few miles away.  I gathered my gear and sparked my TermaCell on.  In a few minutes I was on my way down the swampy, “tunnel like” path to my stand.  Upon arrival, a brief look in the barrel revealed the bait had already been hit since our morning bait run.  “Oh yeah!” I thought to myself.  I was excited!  I climbed into the stand, arranged my gear, and settled in for the evening vigil.  I carefully scanned the surroundings with my eyes, committing details of the landscape to memory so I would know when something seemed out of place.  The ever present dominant red squirrel scurried around the crib.  A subordinate squirrel’s favorite perch would be 2 feet to my right.  I sat motionless, moving only my eyes.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #731 on: June 29, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
An hour into my vigil, something captured my attention. A small branch cracking, a leaf rustling, the sound of a squirrel assuming his perch to my right?….I cannot remember.  I slowly turned my head to the right.  Through the lush, dense vegetation, I see a dark patch only 2-3 yards below on the path I walked in on.  My eyes became more focused and the details of that dark patch were revealed.  Hair, long black hair… it was a bear.  Big or small, rubbed or full coat, I could not tell.  So close but I can only see small, six to eight inch patches of fur through the undergrowth.  I soon make out a muzzle, then parted hair on the center of the back.  The bear stands at the intersection of the path and the clearing, assessing the surroundings.  

After a minute, the bear enters the clearing to my right.  As I looked down from 1-2 yards away I could tell it was of good size, wide across the back and the coat was beautiful.  I estimated 150-180 pounds and probably a sow.  Another bear, about 30-40 lbs smaller, began to enter the clearing on the same path.  It let out a rattling bawl, quickly turned a 180, and left crashing through the brush.  I quickly shifted my eyes back to the first bear expecting to see a second departure.  She was not phased by the second bear’s exit.  The 1st bear continued walking the perimeter of the clearing to my right, then sat down, facing me just beyond the crib.  A white “V” was revealed on her chest.  I studied the bears head, ears were not large but neither tiny.  They were not extending upright, more from the side of her head.  I made my decision.  If given the right opportunity, this would be my first bear.

Soon the bear was back on its feet and slowly approaching the front of the crib from the right, broadside.  I began a slow draw as it paralleled the front of the crib.  Then, one step to the left and the angle was now wrong.  I froze at half draw as she stood quartering to me.  In a moment, her attention was turned back to the crib. A broadside shot was again presented.  I hit full draw and wait for the near leg to step forward. The bear again turns towards me, more so than before, and then sits facing head on.  I hold at full draw with the bear facing a mere 4 yards away.  Soon, my muscles tremble.  I curl my fingers around the string and hold tightly. I try not to move, but my muscles now shake. Just as I near my limit and will need to let down, the bear looks back to the barrel and gives me the opportunity to move.  I let off my draw.  A second look back at the crib and it is back on it’s feet and circling back to the face of the barrel. I slowly begin to draw for the third time.  Near broadside, only slightly quartering away, she reaches the face of the barrel.  In seemingly slow motion, I see the near front leg rise of the ground and extend out toward the barrel.  

My full attention became devoted to a small spot directly above a nearly hairless triangle at the armpit.  I see nothing else, just that spot.  For a breif moment, the world stands still.  I hear nothing, I no longer see the bear… just that spot.  I don’t recall relaxing my fingers, or even the arrow flight.  

The bear lets out a load snarling growl as it rares backward.  I see my fletching and arrow wrap protruding from “the spot.”  As if shot from a cannon, the bear crashes through the brush exiting the area nearly 3 feet from the base of my tree.  I visually follow the sounds of the crashing.  I hear a snap (my arrow?) then nothing.  No moan was heard.  This made me uneasy.  I sat and replayed the events over and over.  The angle my arrow in relation to the bear seemed odd.  She was nearly broadside at the shot.  I bit of doubt entered my mind, but there was no question of the arrows entry, or that it was angled forward where it should.  Just the angle was to sharply forward.  I convinced myself that my Zwickey had lodged in the far leg, changing the shaft's angle as the bear rared up.  I scanned the ground from my stand and could see blood.  A closer look and I could see blood from point of impact to bear’s departure from the clearing. I climbed down to inspect the trail.  The blood was bright red and steady for as far as I could see in the brush, which was only 10 feet.  She did not follow a trail, but barreled through some of the thickest brush.  Everything looked good, but no moan. After weighing all the evidence, I made the difficult decision not to follow up on the trail.  I would give it a few hours or wait until morning.  

Nate would not return to pick me up for another 4 hours or more, so I climbed back into the stand.  Little did I know that the rest of the evening would prove to be more exciting…

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #732 on: June 29, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
You guys are killing me! Bears are getting shot left and right and I am here working on the puter on a Sunday. OK, I am taking breaks to check TG, but really, I am trying to make my hunting stash of filthily lucre and you're arrowing more bears per page than any thread ever.

Move over Rover, I'm not missing this hunt in '09!

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #733 on: June 29, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Check back often Shaun.
 This story is going to get INTERESTING!!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #734 on: June 29, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks, Kenny.  Madeline and I are definitely planning to make the Nashville gathering.  We'll have to keep in touch and have that breakfast!

Shaun, if you are serious about going, get on the list now.  This hunt is definitely worth going on and it will fill up quickly.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #735 on: June 29, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Almost an hour after settling back into the stand, a bear appears from behind.  This time a small 60-70 lb bear.  After a quick check to ensure no other bears are around, he marches right in and heads straight for the barrel.  He steadily eats for about 10-15 minutes.  Once he has his fill, he makes his departure on the same trail he came in on.  I wish I had not forgotten my camera.   Three bears seen and it was not even prime time.

20 minutes lapse and I hear snorting and crashing 50 yards off to my left.  At first I believed that some deer winded me.  Another 10 minutes pass, and I hear the same sound.  More deer?  The sound just wasn’t right.  It was more of a snort wheeze than an alarm snort.  That wasn’t deer.   I sit quietly and listen more intently now.  Over the next hour I hear the same sounds repeatedly.  Eventually the sounds grow closer and more frequent.  Now 25 yards away.

I scan the thick surroundings off to my left and see a tiny patch of black creeping through the dense vegetation…another bear.  The sound erupts again as the black form explodes forward at amazing speed.  I see pieces of another black form retreat the same distance.  It’s two bears! I cannot clearly make out their forms, only small pieces.  One slowly creeps towards the other, and then explodes forward as it lashes out.  These sessions repeat 7 or 8 times within sight.  Each time they become closer and more aggressive. Hissing, blows, and growls mixed with the sounds of heavy charging feet and undergrowth giving way.  They enter more sparse cover and I see both more clearly, the subordinate bear may actually be larger.  One final confrontation and the subordinate finally gives way and slowly melts into the greenery.  

The successor now approaches the from behind the crib.  I can now see him clearly.  He circles to the front of the crib, popping his teeth as he carefully scans the surroundings.  “He is guarding the bait,” I thought.  He was ready to drive off any and all intruders.  He slowly retraced his steps, from the front of the crib to the back three or four times more, aggressively popping his teeth and glaring off into the brush.  Almost as if setting up an ambush, he then lays down on the right side of the crib a mere six to seven yards away facing me.  I sit motionless, marveled at his size.  I also begin to rethink my idea of staying in the stand until dark.  This was his food and nothing was going to get close to that crib.  He was as big around as the 55 gallon drum.  I estimated him a minimum of 250 lbs and probably 300 lbs or more.  I haven't seen bears this big before.  He was much larger than the bear that I arrowed a few hours prior.  For the first 20 minutes, he did not touch the food.  His interest was only directed towards driving off potential threats that might intrude.  Intimidating he was!

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #736 on: June 29, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
After lying for 5 minutes, he rose and again walked a half circle around the crib.  Popping teeth along the way.  Satisfied that no one would test his dominance, he slowly made his way to the barrel.  A sniff of the barrel, then scan for threats, drag some bait out on the ground, then look around some more.  He begins to eat but scans the surroundings between mouthfuls.  He is standing broadside at maybe 4-5 yards, but my tag had been expended.  He is huge.  At the shoulder, he was as tall as the barrel raised 10 inches off the ground.

So close I can hear his lips smack and each breath he takes.  I sit motionless on the stand.  A camo figure in an orange vest, bow hanging in front of me.  He raises his head to look around, and then our eyes meet.  I am no longer invisible.  Again, I hear teeth popping.  He starts to move towards the base of my tree, eyes fixed on the stand.  I turn my face off at 2 o’clock and watch with my peripheral vision and glances from the corner of my eye.  “This is not good,” I thought to myself.  I glance through the floor of the stand and see this head and shoulders start to rise off the ground.  My legs involuntarily push me back, hard, into the tree as he rises.  His huge head clears the platform of the stand and he stares, popping his teeth a mere twelve to eighteen inches away.  I watch him only through the corner of my eye.  I don’t even take a breath.  He has two white circles side by side on his chest. After 5 to 10 seconds, he slowly drops to all fours and returns to the bait.  I guess he had made his point.  Finally, I take a deep breath. “Now, that was close!”

He begins to gorge himself on donuts and pastries.  This continues for another 20 or 30 minutes, only interrupted by an occasional scan for intruders.  Only when he has his head is fully in the barrel will I move a muscle or reposition myself.  My right leg was painfully falling asleep.  The occasional shift was just enough to keep the circulation flowing.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #737 on: June 29, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Eventually, he backs away from the barrel and glances up at me again.  Immediately, he shakes his head from side to side as if agitated.  Then, his eyes lock on me again. His demeanor changes…and not for the better.  He slowly lowers his head, yet rotates it slightly.  Just enough to keep one eye locked on the image in the tree.  In a stiff legged manner, he lumbers sideways towards the base of my tree.

It was obvious that things were escalating quickly and his behavior was now aggressive.  There was no question that he was agitated at my presence.  Either I was not high enough in that tree to satisfy him, or he expected me to be long gone by now.  In any event, I was faced with a slight dilemma because neither an exit, nor climbing was an option.  The events were getting uncomfortable.  Ever had the feeling you were no longer at the top of the food chain?  It’s humbling.  Thoughts flood my mind as to what I needed to do, before I can sort out the best course of action, it was too late.  It doesn’t take long to move 4 yards.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #738 on: June 29, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Again I watched him through the corner of my eye.  He had made his way to the base of the tree to my left.  Again, I see his shoulders start to rise off the ground.  I start to drift to the far side of my seat.  In a split second, the top of a pine tree on my left rocks about 3 feet slamming into my tree and stand.  I jumped up from my seat and yelled. “HEYYyyyyy!!!!!!” It wasn’t a conscious decision, just a reaction.

“GET OUTTA HERE!!!!”  He is now back on all fours.  The big old boar backpedals about 5 feet and stares.  “GO ON!”  He held his ground and just stared.  “NOW!”  Nothing, he's not leaving.  I realized that I am one of the few, if not the only human he has ever encountered.  My voice and movements did not intimidate him.  Knowing that “size” was one thing he may understand, I tried my best to look bigger than him.  I stood as tall as I could, threw my arms in the air and let out a loud ROARRrrrrr!!!  He quickly backed up 5 yards and stopped.  He stared more.  I thought to myself, “Hey that worked, a little!”  Light was quickly fading at this point.  Over the next 5-10 minutes, I repeatedly encouraged him to depart.  He slowly moved back to 10 yards, then hesitantly to 15 yards.  In a few more feet and he was just out of sight.  How far off? I did not know.  The good news he was on the side opposite my exit path.  A quick scan with my flashlight, revealed no eyeballs looking back.  Down the tree I went.  Knowing he may have been lurking only 15 yards away, when my feet hit the ground I was immediately headed down the tunnel like path, away from the bait.  Soon I emerged on the logging road…”Whew!!!!  What an evening!!!”  Instead of waiting at my pick up spot, I hiked to the end of the road to wait for Nate’s arrival.  I probably drove Nate crazy on that ride back to camp.  I had more than my share of adrenaline still pumping through my veins.  

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #739 on: June 29, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
So....ahhhh....John..... Do you think you'll ever hunt bears again?    ;)     :jumper:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©