3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings  (Read 40439 times)

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR QUEST II Spring BEAR HUNT 2 Openings
« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Now thats Pucker Factor
  :scared:   I think I may have had to take my chances with Bowdoc's Buddies... There woulda been another arrow loosed!... No Doubt.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #741 on: June 29, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
Doing a fine job there Jay....well told.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #742 on: June 29, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »

Another angle of Jay's stand. Jay is somewhere between 5' 8 -- 5'10" tall  for scale.

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
After arriving back in camp, I was excited to learn that others had success as well.  Matt was back in camp with Stubby, a tremendous bear.   Stubby’s size also confirmed my estimate on the size of the big boar that spent over an hour within 10 yards of the stand.  He was at least this big, but with four well equipped paws.

It was a great night, but a long one.  Matt and I stayed up until about 2:00am that night talking and reminiscing over the day’s events, as well as past hunts.  This also took my mind off the not yet recovered bear, and the uncertainty of the tracking job that would lie ahead.  Steve also joined us for a while too.  Eventually, exhaustion set in and we were forced to bed.  

After a near sleepless night and a cup of coffee, the recovery team was formed.  Tom, Bowdoc, Tippit and myself headed off to the Bird.  Upon arriving at the stand, I directed the team to the trail and replayed the shot sequence and departure.  Even after some showers the night before, blood was still present.  We picked up the trail immediately.  Bowdoc tried to get me to head up the trail, but I declined.  It was best to leave the tracking up to the professionals.  I have years of experience tracking, but not on bears.  It was a little unnerved crawling though the dense undergrowth after my experiences the night before.  This was his living room after all.  The blood proved steady all the way.  About 60-70 yards in, Tom say’s “Here’s your arrow!”  Ten feet later I hear, “And there is your bear!”  Wow, what a rush!  

The next few minutes were followed with congratulations and handshakes that I will not forget.  Bowdoc, grabbed me for a hug and pat on the back.  “How cool is that! Your first bear. That’s what it is all about.  That’s why we are all here…just what you are feeling right now.  It is all yours and you won’t forget it!”  He knew how special it was.  Those words could never be more true.  What a great group of guys to share in the memory!  And Don, I will never forget it!  Good people, good times, and beautiful country.  Who could ask for more…

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
Brent,
Funny you should ask that.  Each time I recant this story, I am asked "Would you go back and do it again?"

I can honestly say my response is always the same, YES!! Absolutely! I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Tom, Please put me on the list for next year and let me know when you want a check mailed.

To everyone, thank you for the time of my life!

-Jay

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Thanks Paul!  I am 5'9" so that puts the stand in perspective.  That is about exactly where the bear stood the first time too, only he was a touch closer.  I can't even reach as high as that bears head when he stood up.  I think he had me by a good foot, or foot and a half.

I just wish he had gone home with you.  I hope someone with an unfilled tag gets to meet up with him next year!  Just look for the two white bullseyes on his chest.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Man this hunt started right when I moved to AZ. I've been trying to catch up to it and still have not. But WOW great hunt and companionship and awesome story line. We that where not there are so very envious  :thumbsup:  

Brent

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Oh,dear...I think I wet my britches reading that last one... JC's made me feel like I was right there and Blkdog...well, his tellin made my mouth go kinda dry...

Tom...can I have a 30' ladder stand?  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #748 on: June 29, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
JC and John, Great stories both!

Now, who's next???   :readit:    :D
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #749 on: June 29, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
That is some fine story telling Jay.  I heard it all in person, but reading about it just put chills  up my spine again!  Great job, and congratulations once again.  That is certainly a night you will never forget and will stay fresh in your mind for the rest of your life!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #750 on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Man, everytime I get on here there is anew story to read. How many of you were there, a 100? Great stroies guys. Ok, who's next? Wait a minute, JC did you finish yet? I better look back a page or two.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #751 on: June 29, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Ahh, you all are too fast for me. Got it JC. Fine bear and fine shooting brother.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #752 on: June 30, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
I got my home computer working again and my camera back from Tom...now.......some more picture's...I know I ai'nt the only one that took pic's.So some of the first week guy's needs to load a few pic's also.....and no more rabbit ears in the group pictures....My daughter is going to print the whole story for me again and the rabbit ears don't look cool......bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #753 on: June 30, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Take a look at this dude......Team Tippet presedent and founder....bowdoc  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #754 on: June 30, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
and then.............bowdoc  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter